Where to go from here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaJoie272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As of right now I am running SuperChips 91 octane tune with the advanced tranny tuning, a basic stainless steel CAI, and FlowMaster 50 series cat back exhaust system... I'm rollin' on 305/50/20 Nitto 420s and also have the 3.92 gears in the rear end. I have spent a little cash hoping to make this truck quick enough for me but to be honest I get dusted by any tuned EcoBoost or any stock 6.2 Denali that rolls up next to me and I hate it. I thought these Hemis were suppose to be fast but anymore I'm starting to get disappointed in the performance of this truck being that it takes everything it's got to beat a stock I6 BMW. I guess my question is where do I go from here? From what I see the only mod left to do is headers and a dyno tune but I cant see spending over a grand on this thing just to gain 20 horse. Ideas or input anyone?

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cams, headers, supercharger, Diablo trinity sport tuner and if it's speed your after I'd probably say lower it with smaller rims and tires. I dunno but that would be my two cents. I'm not looking for speed out of mine.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ddean suggested some good stuff. Those big tires are probably slowing you down. My complete stock 06 rcsb 4wd beats most other stock trucks and I'm running 265s on 17. Bigger torque converter, I gears this makes a good difference. You could upgrade to 4.56 gears as well. What kind of cai do you have, just curious.

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your driving 10+ yr old technology trying to race new technology. If you haven't noticed in the past few yrs companies are making more power, better fuel economy in the same size displacement if not smaller.

OP
OP
LaJoie272

LaJoie272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are street tires though so they shouldn't slow me down too bad even though they are wide.. My CAI is just your basic chrome tubing with a K&N filter and I wonder if I'm losing power being that the stainless steel tubing probably heats up the air inside. I'm not gonna drop 10 grand on this thing just to get it to run 13s... I'll save that cash to buy a car that doesn't weigh 5400 pounds (06 LS2 GTO) that I can spend that money on and make run low 12s lol. Just makes more sense IMO. Just felt like I was missing something here on this Hemi but I guess these newer trucks really are just gaining that much more.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'd be surprise how heavy one of your wheels/tires weigh. I had stock steelie17s w/ a stock size tire an it weighed about 75lbs ea corner. My wheel setup is around 62-63lbs per corner. An truck could run 13s no prob for 2k lol, spray/ long tubes/ tune an you be g2g

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The combination of the weight of the tires and the bigger diameter does make a big difference. Whether they're street tires or not. And you very well may be losing power with that intake. Also what's already been said about the old vs new is true as well. The new trucks are probably much lighter, make a similar amount or more power, have either 6 or 8 speed transmissions, and don't have 160k miles.

You're not getting much out of that intake and exhaust, so you basically have the tuner. Then take into account the tires and youre pretty much back to stock level. If you're really looking for speed it would be a better decision to start with a different platform lol

Last edited:

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Generally people who race trucks have alot of money in them, if your not willing to spend and racing is what you want I'd cut my losses now and get a car that would be better suited for that application. The Hemi is great in chargers because they are smaller and lighter. Tires very much come into play when racing. With very little modification those 20s will slow you down.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hell the hemi is great in anything its just that the op is just barely tapping the potential with a Cai super chips and chokemaster.
Go for a custom tune Diablo sport, long tube headers with an open exhaust, a real Cai not made of metal and a higher stall converter and I bet you will feel like you have a new truck!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Pick the appropriate tool for the goals you have. A stock qc 4x4 running against newer and lighter vehicles will only lead to disappointment.

Hemi8073

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a qc 4x4 with subs and big tires with pretty much the simplist mods you can buy. These trucks can be mid to high 12 sec trucks all motor with a little bit of money and some patience. Here would be my order for you as far as mods if you want to a quick fun daily driver and a fun weekend truck

Insulate your current intake with header wrap
180 thermostat
Long tube headers
Matching 3" off road y pipe
Magnaflow style straight through design muffler
E-fan
Summit or ati underdrive pulley

And if you want to take it further than bolt ons

4.56 gears front and back
2800-3000 stall
Custom cam
Heads
Nitrous
Track wheel setup
Etc.....

OP
OP
LaJoie272

LaJoie272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to install the pace setter long tubes, and the matching offroad y pipe along with a new S&B CAI, then take it to "LSX kilr" and have them custom dyno tune it. Hopefully I will be satisfied then because it sounds like from there on out the money to hp gain ratio gets fairly ugly. I understand this truck isn't a single cab 2 wheel drive, but either way its got a Hemi under the hood and having a name like that on your truck but not having the hemi like pull to back it up when I am next to a Tundra flat out sucks. I appreciate all of your guys' input! I have also considered tossing this FlowMaster 50HD series muffler for a "less restrictive" muffler being that everyone trash talks FlowMaster as far as performance goes but idk if that is all hype or not...

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ehh. Badges are overrated.. :flipthebird:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 15