Whining noise from front end by radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 and lately I've noticed a whining noise coming from the front end by my radiator. I thought at first it was the power steering but the fluid levels are all good and steering isn't hard to do. I did a power steering fluid flush just in case. The serpentine belt is good and it's not coming from there. It sounds like it's from the rad, but it's not the fan. Anyone else ever had this problem?? I thought it was the power steering cooler but it sounds higher up. Like it's from the middle more. But the antifreeze levels are good and my engine never overheats. Please help! Thanks.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I'd remove the belt and check the tensioner and idler pulleys. My idler pulleys got really noisy around 150K miles. Welcome to RF.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be alternator whine, anyone of the pulleys, AC compressor clutch, AC condensor fan?

Like RonJon said, pull the belt and check each pulley. You can unplug the condenser fan to rule that one out. Shut your AC off to rule out the compressor clutch.

Are you sure it's not the radiator fan? With the belt off, try to spin the fan to check the water pump bearing. My water pump bearing completely destroyed itself at 30K miles.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 and lately I've noticed a whining noise coming from the front end by my radiator. I thought at first it was the power steering but the fluid levels are all good and steering isn't hard to do. I did a power steering fluid flush just in case. The serpentine belt is good and it's not coming from there. It sounds like it's from the rad, but it's not the fan. Anyone else ever had this problem?? I thought it was the power steering cooler but it sounds higher up. Like it's from the middle more. But the antifreeze levels are good and my engine never overheats. Please help! Thanks.
Mines recently started doing this too, already had the steering pump whine so it's not that unless it's ready to die but sounds in a different spot like you said, I'm assuming it's the bearing in the damn water pump, always when it's freezing ass cold out!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Mines recently started doing this too, already had the steering pump whine so it's not that unless it's ready to die but sounds in a different spot like you said, I'm assuming it's the bearing in the damn water pump, always when it's freezing ass cold out!

Already changed my tensioner pulley

a172e05583d26891721f9b476ca2e99c.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently replaced my idler pullies and tensioner....turns out the tensioner was cracked. No more noise after that.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just did my idler pulleys and tensioner pulley with my water pump a few momths ago. One of the them had a whine aswell. Wasn't sure which one cause they all had a rumble to them when the belt was taken off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio