Winding noise coming from engine and and belt squeaks when I start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I'm not sure if this is the right section for his but I'm still new to this site and still getting the hang of it. I cleaned my engine with degreaser and after that belt start to squeak. I sprayed belt lube but didn't seem to help. Could it be one of my pulleys. Any help appreciated thanks btw it's a 4.7 v8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you still have the stock plastic pulleys that could be the issue. Or the fan belt could be going bad. Before I replaced mine with the metal ones, one of my plastic pulleys started making that noise or the belt did idk but the pulley blew off and wrapped the belt around the fan.

All I did was replace the plastic for metal pulleys and got a new fan belt, problem solved. Every now and again though the noise could be due to cold weather on start up.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
02ramboi

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
If you still have the stock plastic pulleys that could be the issue. Or the fan belt could be going bad. Before I replaced mine with the metal ones, one of my plastic pulleys started making that noise or the belt did idk but the pulley blew off and wrapped the belt around the fan.

All I did was replace the plastic for metal pulleys and got a new fan belt, problem solved. Every now and again though the noise could be due to cold weather on start up.

Hope this helps

Looks like the belt was changed right before I bought the truck but not the pulleys.i will definitely be changing them out thanks.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it only start to make noise after you decreased the engine? It might just need to dry out. How long has it been making noise?

OP
OP
02ramboi

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
After I cleaned it but it has been sitting a while and it seems to get worst as it sits

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the pulleys and belts maybe have degreaser coating them, causing them to slip? It's odd that it wasn't making noise before, and now after degreasing it is. That would lead me to believe that it's the degreaser.

Litenyaup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idler pulley. Mine did the same thing

OP
OP
02ramboi

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I washed off all the degreaser and I didn't spray it directly on the belt and the pulleys but I'm guess some may have gotten on it somehow in the wash off process