Yay engine swaps!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm nearing the conclusion of putting my wife's engine back into her car (long story for another day). But what brings me to this post is a thefree time I'll have for a swap in my 2005 2500 5.7. I've done a little bit of research on the engine and swap but there's not a lot out there.

So... before all the nonbelievers start bashing, take a look at the bigger picture. I love my truck. I have big plans for it and I should have it paid off next year. I'm looking for long term MPG's, power, reliability (for the most part), all the good stuff. I want to do a 2nd gen Cummins swap.

I've seen this in threads and videos for the 3rd gen 2500/3500 common rails and the 1500, but not on the 2500 hemi. I already know it'll be a little costly but with what I won't be paying on my truck after it's paid off I can easily save up for parts and/or a good donor truck. I just want inputs and advice on more things like the front axle/suspension, rear gear set up, drivetrain, etc. possibly just mimicking a 24v 3rd gen?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Somewhere on this site is a thread about a 5.9 going into an 02 1500. You will have an easier time of it physically because the requisite 2500 parts will pretty much be a bolt in. If you can find a donor truck then it will make your life a helluva lot easier. This way you can get not just the engine & trans (your stock RFE won't do plus I don't believe it will bolt to a Cummins anyhow), but every module, harness, normal pedal (Cummins isn't fly by wire), cluster, etc. The way the modules interact with each other to run an electronically controlled diesel are vastly different than for a gas engine. They guy with the 02 tried to make it work with the existing stuff from a 360. IIRC it took 3 months just to get it to fire and another 3 to get the gauges, cruise control, etc working.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Derekp's Cummins swap thread in the member truck section. He put a first gen Cummins in a 2wd 1500. I'm sure he'd answer any and all questions.

And all I can say is do it, Cummins swaps are always good ideas.

First gen Cummins are less power, but fully mechanical, which would be an easier swap imo, especially if you like manual transmissions lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check out Derekp's Cummins swap thread in the member truck section. He put a first gen Cummins in a 2wd 1500. I'm sure he'd answer any and all questions.

And all I can say is do it, Cummins swaps are always good ideas.

First gen Cummins are less power, but fully mechanical, which would be an easier swap imo, especially if you like manual transmissions lol
That's probably the thread I'm thinking of lol...did he blow up a 360 in an 02?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No he took out his 4.7. No problems with it, just upgraded lol

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys and yeah I plan for a manual, and am aiming for full mechanical. But is that only with the first gen or is it the same with the 2nd gens as well? I was looking into the 94-98 donors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Somewhere on this site is a thread about a 5.9 going into an 02 1500. You will have an easier time of it physically because the requisite 2500 parts will pretty much be a bolt in. If you can find a donor truck then it will make your life a helluva lot easier. This way you can get not just the engine & trans (your stock RFE won't do plus I don't believe it will bolt to a Cummins anyhow), but every module, harness, normal pedal (Cummins isn't fly by wire), cluster, etc. The way the modules interact with each other to run an electronically controlled diesel are vastly different than for a gas engine. They guy with the 02 tried to make it work with the existing stuff from a 360. IIRC it took 3 months just to get it to fire and another 3 to get the gauges, cruise control, etc working.

Also, how hard would it be to match up all the electronics? I would still like for everything to work. Power windows, locks, the dash, radio, cruise all that stuff.
Is it as simple as switching the ECM/harness from donor to mine or is it waayyyy more in depth?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also, how hard would it be to match up all the electronics? I would still like for everything to work. Power windows, locks, the dash, radio, cruise all that stuff.
Is it as simple as switching the ECM/harness from donor to mine or is it waayyyy more in depth?

It's an electronic vehicle, will never be that simple lol. The ECM and harness will of course help, you will need one from a manual trans vehicle since you aren't going with any kind of auto. The real trick will be figuring out what kind of inputs are necessary just to make it fire and run, how it will interface with your existing electronics. Your power windows and door locks won't be affected, however your cruise will be an issue. Hemi is fly by wire and cruise is controlled by the PCM. Cummins will NOT be FBW so you will have to figure out a mechanical way to make that work (or just give it up). In this instance, it might actually be easier to start off with a 4.7 or 360 truck. Dash will be tricky as well, since those are all electronic inputs.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can find a donor truck then it will make your life a helluva lot easier. This way you can get not just the engine & trans (your stock RFE won't do plus I don't believe it will bolt to a Cummins anyhow), but every module, harness, normal pedal (Cummins isn't fly by wire), cluster, etc. The way the modules interact with each other to run an electronically controlled diesel are vastly different than for a gas engine. They guy with the 02 tried to make it work with the existing stuff from a 360.

This is the best advice if you are to proceed with this adventure, and it is an adventure. The other thing to think about is what smog impact do you have in your state, many do not allow gas to diesel swaps... But honestly for the time and $$$ it takes you will be better off to just go buy a diesel like yours and sell yours. Financially speaking you can get a loan for the difference, but the cost of the swap is 100% cash, if you don't have 10k just laying around it will be a long arduous process... Now if this is just a want to do project that is a different story, but for a daily, in my opinion its not worth it since you can go buy this already made.