your opinion wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
well, i have done just about all the bolt on mods i can do, so its on to bigger and better things. really still not happy with the power that i am making. i mean it runs better than what it did when i got it, but still lacking a bit.

so here it is. got two mods i am thinking about now, and want to know what you would do first.

cam and heads is one mod. already have researched it for many hours and know which ones i want. gonna cost a little bit but think it will put me where i want to be power wise.(comp cam, clearwater 2.02 heads,hughes timing chain,sct tuner)

gears. this is where i feel my truck is still lacking in power. the low end. i think this will help out alot. plus with my 35's i will get back the out of the hole feel that i like. gonna be cheaper than the heads and cam, and take less time getting them together. just got to find a good shop to install them.and gears will be good with no matter what other mods i do.(motive 4.56 and master install from moes)

well let me know what you think.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
i would upgrade the gears first IMO . That is one of the first things i do with trucks .

What gears do you have now ?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I also vote gears first if your looking for lowend power. Heads and cams tend to be noticable at the high end.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
this is the cam i will be going with. i will be able to use my 1.7 rr with it. i am also going with a 114 lsa because i will be adding boost to it in the future. just letting you cam guru's know what i am looking at.i know it will probably be kinda doggy till i get a new tc(2600),gears(4.56),and boost(procharger).

COMP Cams® - Cam Details

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
That cam should have alot of midrange power, are there any engine dynos on it?

SMKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gears!! I am running the same set up as you(5.9 4x4 3.92's and 35's) and gears are high on my list of things to do!!!

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I vote gears first... 4.56's to get that truck of yours moving

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i am kinda surprised. i thought people would be saying cam. but EVERYONE is saying gears. sounds like i better go with the gears next.

for those of you that had 3.92's and went to 4.56's what did you think? donnt care about the gas mileage. mine isnt a daily driver.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
IMO this is an easy one. Gears go first, you'll know how the truck moves with gears installed. And yes 4:56 is what you need. But here is where my recommendation might be different. Do the gears, forget about the heads, then do a low-end cam and then Procharger. You may not even need a TC, and if you do, you'll be able tell exactly what stall by how the truck is running.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
gonna do gears next, then go from there.

the reason why i am gonna do heads with the cam is for three reasons. one magnum heads are prone to cracking.and two, when i get the procharger installed i need something that is gonna exhaust better. three, the heads from clearwater come with the springs and stuff already installed, and are good to .600 lift.

dodge15004x45.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Gears man I'm getting mine done 625 bucks is what they said over the phone. They said the truck should be done in one day which would be great. I hope they don't find any issues.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i have 2 places in mind. i am gonna call them sometime this week and find out what the damage will be.

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
be carefull on how much labour time they put! on a full floating axle it calls for 4.9 hours for gears and pinion, 4.3 hours on a semi floating. if hes good at what he does it should take him 1.5-2.0 hours max for the rear, the book calls for a long time so they can make money, at my shop we only charge 2 hours max! too bad you went here cuz i could do it for you for freee (our work computer has all the dealer/warrenty time on what to charge and i looked it up for you :) hope any of this helps! if ya got any questions then ask! oh yeah and for the front diff it calls 5.1 hours... so if he wants to be a **** and **** you then he could charge 10 hours maybe more...when it should take 5 max!

dodge15004x45.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
I got charged 625 for both but since my lsd was in such ****** condition they had to replace the rear axle bearings and seal so that brought it up to 730.98 with tax.

OP
OP
T

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
be carefull on how much labour time they put! on a full floating axle it calls for 4.9 hours for gears and pinion, 4.3 hours on a semi floating. if hes good at what he does it should take him 1.5-2.0 hours max for the rear, the book calls for a long time so they can make money, at my shop we only charge 2 hours max! too bad you went here cuz i could do it for you for freee (our work computer has all the dealer/warrenty time on what to charge and i looked it up for you :) hope any of this helps! if ya got any questions then ask! oh yeah and for the front diff it calls 5.1 hours... so if he wants to be a **** and **** you then he could charge 10 hours maybe more...when it should take 5 max!

nice to know. thanks.