12v switched power for amplifier on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wykdtr0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm at the stage in my audio install where I will probably be turning things on tonight. I'm wondering what the easiest source is for switched power for my 12v amp on in a 2015 RAM?

I know the cigarette lighter is switched, but I'm hoping there's something easier to get to. I've dug around but have only found suggestions for older Rams. Thanks!

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im guessing your using the stock radio? Have you tried finding out what the switch is for that and tap into it?

OP
OP
W

wykdtr0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I am running the stock radio, despite my utter lack of love for it :)

I haven't had much luck finding wiring charts for the 2015, and I haven't had to rip open the dash yet-I tapped the rear speakers at the door pillars for my signal. I'm also a noob when it comes to a multimeter, but I imagine it can't be much harder than fiberglassing the sub box.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there isnt a switched lead at the radio its canbus controlled meaing its digital turn on from the computer.

cig lighter is the easiest and best choice. i personally like to use it only to trigger a relay so it doesnt put any current draw or back feed into the stock circuit.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can grab that switched circuit from a plug under your drivers seat. I forget what color it is but there are only a couple of wires in that plug. Take a meter to it and you will easily find out.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can grab that switched circuit from a plug under your drivers seat. I forget what color it is but there are only a couple of wires in that plug. Take a meter to it and you will easily find out.

that is even worse than tapping into the cig lighter.

vehicles are so sensitive now days that the slightest current draws on existing circuits can fry computers or trip CEL

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, but power on signal current shouldn't be very much, similar to turning on a relay, no? All power used to function the unit should come from the main power supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
that is even worse than tapping into the cig lighter.

vehicles are so sensitive now days that the slightest current draws on existing circuits can fry computers or trip CEL

It is the cig lighter wire.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, but power on signal current shouldn't be very much, similar to turning on a relay, no? All power used to function the unit should come from the main power supply?

Right, you are triggering a relay in the amp. Putting a relay in place to trigger another relay is redundant.

OP
OP
W

wykdtr0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Thanks man...I will try to locate that tonight.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

even on aftermarket radios the remote turn wire is really only meant for 1 amp once you start to add multiple amps its recommended to do it on that situation also.

a relay only takes milliamps to trigger a remote turn on uses more.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
even on aftermarket radios the remote turn wire is really only meant for 1 amp once you start to add multiple amps its recommended to do it on that situation also.

a relay only takes milliamps to trigger a remote turn on uses more.

Ah, thanks. I thought it would be milliamps for the remote on as well.