'14 UConn 5.0, audio input audio quality issues? Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I'm trying to find out if I am experiencing limitations of the system, or if my system has issues.

Using an iPhone 5s...which is a clean source for audio elsewhere I've found:

Bluetooth- Audio sounds incredibly compressed..."tinny" highs make most of the audio sound like crap.

USB- Using an OEM Apple USB cable and running the audio through my center console, I get complete control over my music folder (funny, it does not work lie this when using a dash mounted USB port...I get no audio control or ability). The playback audio quality this way is far superior to Bluetooth...BUT (and a big but it is), it randomly cracks and pops. It can be horribly annoying. To describe the sound, it almost sounds like pops and cracks on an old record player. I've verified these songs have no artifacts in the track by listening to them, through the phone, on other sources.

AUX mini-pin- Perfectly fine...BUT...zero control over anything. For clean sound, this is about the only way I can listed to the damn thing and it irritates me.

Is this a problem with my system...or just how the system works in the first place? Anyone else have this issue?

BTW...this truck was bought new in Feb of '14...I have not done any system updates.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BT is just that compressed audio so don't hope to much on that till there is a decent update in phone/truck BT firmware.
I would try a different cable as even OEM cables don't always work great within the environment of vehicles.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All of the problems you're experiencing are normal. I got the April 2014 (no compass signal) update last year and Bluetooth got a little bit more reliable with higher quality sound. The USB in the dash (with the 12v cap) is only for charging, not playback. USB audio does crack and pop with our without an Apple cord. AUX is definitely the most reliable option granted you have to control the music through your device. 5.0 is definitely a buggy system from the factory. I wish they would address these problems!

wayneayo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've noticed these problems as well on my '13 with the 5.0 Uconnect. I also have horrendous FM radio reception...and I mean HORRENDOUS! When i'm driving by one of the major stations in Houston...literally by the building...my radio sounds like i'm 100 miles out of town. I had posted last week about this issue but didnt get any responses on here.

I replaced the antenna mast with a new OEM one but no luck. I was thinking of checking all the connections with the coax cable between the mast and radio, but i'm terrified of pulling the dash off and created rattles everywhere.

Anyone have any helpful advice on this?

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bluetooth audio quality is never great. aux and usb should be exactly the same, you shouldn't be having pops or cracking with the usb though that needs to be serviced.
The usb on the dash is only for charging, no audio input on that usb.