1 10" enough for regular cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royalwe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey Everyone,

First time owning a regular cab pickup and I'm trying to figure out if a 10" sub (pushing about 400 watts) is going to be enough. Any thoughts?

I've seen a couple of comments here that the small cab eliminates cabin gain so you need more cone area/power, how big was the affect?

I'm coming from an SUV with a 12" and 400 watts but it looks like a 12 would be super hard to fit.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I'll add my vote as yes, its plenty.

Attachments

• 20150307_110005.jpg
    20150307_110005.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 81

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
It was a Kicker Comp Q 10", about .66 sealed with an IQ500.1 amp on it, so 550+ watts
800x600-right.jpg

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's plenty, if you want loud bass you should go ported. A 12 isn't that hard to fit either just have to find the right one.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends on what you want it to sound like and how loud you want it to be.

Personally i would be good with 1-10" or 1-12" in a sealed box. I want it to sound good in the car but not be heard from blocks away. I listen to all types of music from rock to country to rap to top 40. a sealed will get you the tight bass of a drum, but wont get you the loud bass of a rap song but will still sound good.

If it was me i would run a good set of components tweets in the dash/ mids in the doors. and a single sub. use a single 4 channel amp 2 channels to the comps, and 2 channels bridged to the sub. I have actually been running this same setup in many different types of vehicles (cars, coupes, suv's, trucks) since about 2000 and loved it. if the vehicle had rear speakers i would just run them off of deck power for a little rear fill.

OP
OP
R

royalwe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks!

I think I will go with a 10" sealed ultimately, I'd like to preserve a little bit of cargo space behind the seats too. I'm looking at ordering one of the net audio boxes to make it easy on myself :)

I already have the new front components. The JBL 660GTI components were on sale for 500 so I'm planning to use those (used to do sound for concerts and it was all JBL).

Amps will a PPI Phantom 900.4 for the components and 1000.1 for the sub I think.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually a good sub to complement those jbls would be a JL TW5. Nice and smooth sounding just not huge output.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice low distortion sub, it will actually sound quiet compared to other subs cause of its design.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I will go with a 10" sealed ultimately, I'd like to preserve a little bit of cargo space behind the seats too. I'm looking at ordering one of the net audio boxes to make it easy on myself :)

I already have the new front components. The JBL 660GTI components were on sale for 500 so I'm planning to use those (used to do sound for concerts and it was all JBL).

Amps will a PPI Phantom 900.4 for the components and 1000.1 for the sub I think.

if you are using a 4 channel for the components are you going bi-amp them? i would!

If you are going to buy a pre-fab box make sure its to the specs of your sub. a variance of .25 cubic can make or break the sound of a sub.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually a good sub to complement those jbls would be a JL TW5. Nice and smooth sounding just not huge output.

This guy is going to have my exact set-up.. but probably before I get around to installing it. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
R

royalwe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
if you are using a 4 channel for the components are you going bi-amp them? i would!

If you are going to buy a pre-fab box make sure its to the specs of your sub. a variance of .25 cubic can make or break the sound of a sub.

The 'maximally flat' calculation for that sub put the box size at .84 cubic feet, and the net audio single ten box is .8 so it will hopefully work just right.

I'm going to start with bi-amping through the crossover to get a feel how jbl intended them to sound, I have a minidsp 2x4 sitting here I might eventually put in so I can time align too, though, I keep looking at the C-DSP since that can handle the sub channel too.

Installation is going to be a huge headache, I live in the northwest so we're due for at least a few more months of rain and my garage is too small to pull the truck in.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, years ago when I had my R/C Silverado (damn I miss that truck...); I had an 8" Kicker L7 in a ported box. If I tell you I had to turn the subwoofer output completely off several times because even at negative settings the bass became too much to drive with.

It was great for ******* people off but at decent volumes it would give you a headache.