2012 Ram 1500 auxillary battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackson Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a Ram auxillary battery tray that I could mount on the passenger side engine firewall? Part number? I am interested in installing a second battery for stereo system. Can it be rigged to also charge off alternator? Also its probably not good to get a AGN or glass mat second battery if the stick one is lead right? I also bought a kit for the big 3 upgrade.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
They do it all the time in RV's. There is a cross over kit or something like that, That will charge both but also have 1 battery as the draw off battery and 1 battery for the starter ! So Check with a RV place they may be able to help . I am sure someone here has done it but throwing in my 2 cents not sure about mix and match batteries

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery isolator is what you should use. These are basically a large relay that can handle the amps of a battery. You just wire them inline from your main battery to the aux battery. then the stereo gets wired off the aux battery. They get hooked up to an ignition source so that only when the truck is in the run position the aux battery will charge.

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a Ram auxillary battery tray that I could mount on the passenger side engine firewall? Part number? I am interested in installing a second battery for stereo system. Can it be rigged to also charge off alternator? Also its probably not good to get a AGN or glass mat second battery if the stick one is lead right? I also bought a kit for the big 3 upgrade.

There is a tray you can use from the HD diesel trucks, but you'd have to be running something like a Vararam intake. The tray fits about where the stock airbox currently sits. That's the only thing I'm aware of to mount the extra battery in the engine compartment. Anything else would probably have to be fabricated and I'm not sure there'd be enough room. You can find the tray here: https://parts.allmoparparts.com/aut...-l6-diesel-engine/electrical-cat/battery-scat

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Battery isolator is what you should use. These are basically a large relay that can handle the amps of a battery. You just wire them inline from your main battery to the aux battery. then the stereo gets wired off the aux battery. They get hooked up to an ignition source so that only when the truck is in the run position the aux battery will charge.
For the life of me I could not remember what that part was called ! lol I knew someone here would have the right name