2013-17 Apple Carplay & Android Auto UAQ Factory Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, that's at first. The early adopters will pay $1900.

Then competition will come in and commoditize - I fully expect to be able to get this for <$1,000 at the 12 months post release mark.

[email protected]

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$1,900 they can go pound sand.

brb
nuckleconditioning.jpg

I can understand the skepticism of the price, possibly waiting out might be a good idea if price is an issue, and trust me when I say I'm not trying to sell anything here as I'm just in tech support/customer service, but if you were to attempt this upgrade at a dealership they will charge you WAY more. I think even more than we're asking for a year from now. This is if you want a stock factory experience. You should keep in mind there are aftermarket solutions as well.

If y'all have any questions about this upgrade please feel free to ask.

Also just as a reminder, you guys here at the ram forum are special to us and you should view my signature as proof.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I am looking at this correctly, it appears they send you a 2018 radio with adapters to fit in a '17 and below truck. The price isn't bad considering you are getting a new radio as well.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For those concerned about this being a commercial-only solution, don't get too worked up. There are several forum members working on this behind the scenes too. There are still some things to figure out before it's something we can just throw in a DIY How-To, but we'll get there.

8f0a43ec9a6fabcabfec9f8317430bb6.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have the regular Uconnect radio in my truck and the new radio with car play and android auto in my charger and while the android auto is ok, in my opinion it's not worth almost 2 grand. Truthfully I like Uconnect Access which comes in my 2016 ram better than the Sirius Guardian that comes in the 2017 charger

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the regular Uconnect radio in my truck and the new radio with car play and android auto in my charger and while the android auto is ok, in my opinion it's not worth almost 2 grand. Truthfully I like Uconnect Access which comes in my 2016 ram better than the Sirius Guardian that comes in the 2017 charger

I can't speak to Android Auto as I'm an iPhone user, but I absolutely love CarPlay. Aside from that, the new UI looks more modern, the display is a major improvement, and it's much more responsive. I've had the UAQ in my truck for a little over two weeks now and I'm very pleased with it.

My 300 SRT has the 1st gen 8.4 and it was already put to shame by the one I had in my truck before. Now the difference is even more obvious.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So what further is needed than the screen and USB module?
A short harness to adapt the old USB hub connector to the new one.

The biggest issue is locating a viable UAQ Radio and compatible hub that fits the truck. Until FCA starts shipping 2018 models and/or salvage yards get them in from wrecked vehicles, it will be extremely hard to locate one.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I went to go look at a 2018 on the lot just to play with the new radio. I didn't think android auto was worth it. Sales guys Iphone worked a bit better. You can't just put any app on the screen, only a few. I was really disappointed in it. Not sure if it's worth it. I'm deciding between buying a 2017 and ordering a 2018.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I can't speak to Android Auto as I'm an iPhone user, but I absolutely love CarPlay. Aside from that, the new UI looks more modern, the display is a major improvement, and it's much more responsive. I've had the UAQ in my truck for a little over two weeks now and I'm very pleased with it.

My 300 SRT has the 1st gen 8.4 and it was already put to shame by the one I had in my truck before. Now the difference is even more obvious.

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike it and think the better screen resolution is nice, but just not almost 2000 better. Android auto would be real nice on a non nav unit since it uses google maps.

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what understand from contacting ram customer support is they are currently working on releasing the update for 2017 model year 8.4's. If that's true, and they actually release it, save your money because those units will be undoubtedly cheaper...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk