2013-17 Apple Carplay & Android Auto UAQ Factory Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
From what understand from contacting ram customer support is they are currently working on releasing the update for 2017 model year 8.4's. If that's true, and they actually release it, save your money because those units will be undoubtedly cheaper...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t put a whole lot of weight in what they tell you. 9.975 times out of 10 those guys are wrong.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wouldn’t put a whole lot of weight in what they tell you. 9.975 times out of 10 those guys are wrong.

^^ This

The hardware is from different vendors between the old RA's and the new UAS/UAQ. Even if it can somehow be updated you will not get capacitive touch (Works a ton better with AA and Carplay in playing with different peoples aftermarket resistive vs the capacitive touch in my 17 Challenger UAS) and you would likely need to replace the USB interface in the console like you have to have to on the newer Fords when you forcefully upgrade the software. I've been waiting for this to come out since using Car Play and Android Auto in my Challenger (I change phones alot), however, for substantially less I just ordered the Alpine ILX-207 with the iDatalink interface after I saw this price. I don't think I'll really miss the 8.4 since the screen size in Android Auto or Carplay is closer to 7" as Uconnect leaves its bottom nav bar on screen.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Agreed. There will absolutely not be CarPlay or Android Auto in a pre-2018 RAM without a hardware change. Period.

Aside from there being necessary hardware that’s missing on the older radios, they don’t meet Apple’s requirements for screen resolution so they’d never be allowed to support CarPlay anyway.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The price maybe high but honestly a good head unit with carplay and android auto plus all accessories and hardware will set you back atleast 1000$, and you still wont end up with a factory look.

To get that the only ones offering are alpine and thats almost 3000$. hopefully you guys can source out ROW units so that all of us outside the US can benefit.

spike98

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7L
The price maybe high but honestly a good head unit with carplay and android auto plus all accessories and hardware will set you back atleast 1000$, and you still wont end up with a factory look.

To get that the only ones offering are alpine and thats almost 3000$. hopefully you guys can source out ROW units so that all of us outside the US can benefit.

QFT

OEM appearance is almost invaluable. I would pay $2k all day long for android auto.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
QFT

OEM appearance is almost invaluable. I would pay $2k all day long for android auto.

One post and you want to tell people to QFT? Welcome to the forum I guess. You fail to realize price is subjective and based on demand. While you can have no problem spending 2k for a little extra features (uConnect does almost everything as Android Auto, just in a different form) other people will not. It does not mean their opinion is wrong.

But please be a fool and pay 2k for that - I will buy the unit second hand $800 and sell my old one for $500.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
One post and you want to tell people to QFT? Welcome to the forum I guess. You fail to realize price is subjective and based on demand. While you can have no problem spending 2k for a little extra features (uConnect does almost everything as Android Auto, just in a different form) other people will not. It does not mean their opinion is wrong.

But please be a fool and pay 2k for that - I will buy the unit second hand $800 and sell my old one for $500.

I think you took QFT to mean something different because you can’t tell someone to QFT. It means “quoted for truth”, which was just him saying he agrees with the other post that he quoted. I don’t see how that can be interpreted as an insult toward anyone.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you took QFT to mean something different because you can’t tell someone to QFT. It means “quoted for truth”, which was just him saying he agrees with the other post that he quoted. I don’t see how that can be interpreted as an insult toward anyone.

Maybe I am just used to aggressive forums. To me I take it as "Quit ******* talking/typing".

If I took it wrong - then full apologizes to him.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
This may drive down the older radios which would be nice.
Wonder how much the extra modules will end up being...

Patastic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was told at least here in Canada no software upgrade period

i wonder if its as simple as swapping the head units from an 18

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah 2K is pretty steep but I get it. I just can't believe its not standard yet. I had a Kenwood unit with IdataLink in a different car and didnt really care for it. It really never worked quite right. I had about 1500$ in that all in, including adapters, face plates, antenna adapters, and some custom work for the USB cable.

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have it in my 2018, totally not worth it in my opinion..

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have CarPlay and android auto in my wife’s 2016 Kia Optima... it is litterally the best thing to happen to a car. Imagine maps never going out of date, being able to use Siri for everything (gets better every update). Plus it’s something that will never go out of date or be unsupported because it relies on your device to power it not the head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah 2K is pretty steep but I get it. I just can't believe its not standard yet. I had a Kenwood unit with IdataLink in a different car and didnt really care for it. It really never worked quite right. I had about 1500$ in that all in, including adapters, face plates, antenna adapters, and some custom work for the USB cable.

Why didn't you care for it? I've been looking into an aftermarket unit.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I had an aftermarket Carplay in my last truck. There is no doubt it is awesome. If you are ok with Apple maps, it works really well. Voice to Text, and all the rest of integration is nice.

The only problem is, apple determines which companies can have carplay ready apps, so waze, and google maps may either never get it, or not for a while. Same with SirusXM.

(you can manually control you phone when connected to Carplay, so you can still open up waze/google maps/SirusXM and play it in the background).

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
Exactly this above, it's not a full mirror of your phone. Limited apps, etc. The android ones really sucked, Apple worked better. If you got full mirroring and could run any app it would be worth it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly this above, it's not a full mirror of your phone. Limited apps, etc. The android ones really sucked, Apple worked better. If you got full mirroring and could run any app it would be worth it.

Full mirroring defeats the purpose. CarPlay is primarily designed as a safety feature to get people to stop playing on their phones while driving. However, there are ways to do full mirroring if you want it, just with no control on the screen. You can do full control with aftermarket. I have had it - and its more gimmicky than realistic. CarPlay hit it spot on for true usability... Phone, Messages/Siri, Music and Maps. Anything more than that while you are driving and you are a danger to everyone on the road.

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So I had the DNX891 installed in a 2013 VW CC. The phone had trouble staying connected. Actually, interface between the phone and the radio was pretty bad. And since I rely completely on my phone for everything there was no way it would work out if the integration wasn't perfect. I think if I were to do something different in my Ram, it would be Alpine Ram radio the X009. To me that would be the most seemless way to go i think.