2013 Issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Has anyone else had any issues with the USB input (in the center console) for playing music? It seemed to suddenly stop picking up my flash drive (which I know is good). I've only used it for 2 days. Also..."Service air bag" light came on for about a minute then disappeared in the middle of driving. I'll start the truck up again and see if something just needed to reset...but either way that's annoying. If Dodge is going to do away with the hdds then they need to make sure their USB ports are solid.

On another note...does anyone know how much the stock 8.4a face plate puts out to the stock speakers? I'm planning on replacing the stock speakers, but if more power is needed, it seems almost pointless. I must say I don't know much of anything about the sound systems and how they work as I've never upgraded one. I guess the question is...would simply replacing the stock speakers make a difference without adding more power?

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have the same issue with the usb and sd card media. It only works if I turn on the radio or satellite radio prior to turning off the truck. Then the next time I turn on the truck and change it to media, it'll work. I have the update installed. Ginna have the dealer check it out on Tuesday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks flava...glad I'm not the only one. I guess I'll need to do the same. Is updating something I can do? How do you get the update?

Last edited:

Jabalone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many songs do you got on the flash drive? I have the 5.0 Uconnect and the center console USB occasionally stops picking up the flash drive for me too but fixes itself after a while. I have a 36gb flash with thousands of songs and I think that might have something to do with it, but not sure. My voice command also does not work for songs.

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the reply Jabalone. I have a 4gb stick with about 700 songs. Honestly though I don't think that should make a difference.

When the USB is working...voice command picks up the songs just fine.

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't think the stock deck puts out much wattage at all and it's 8 ohm not 4 ohm like most aftermarket stuff.

I replaced the dash in my 2013 and the 6x9 in the doors and it sounded worse than stock. I'm guessing due to the 4/8 ohm difference and the dash stock speakers have bass blockers on them and the aftermarket didn't.

I put the stock back until I could gut it all, which I have done now, all aftermarket speakers and amp but still the stock 8.4 head unit. Much better!

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't think the stock deck puts out much wattage at all and it's 8 ohm not 4 ohm like most aftermarket stuff.

I replaced the dash in my 2013 and the 6x9 in the doors and it sounded worse than stock. I'm guessing due to the 4/8 ohm difference and the dash stock speakers have bass blockers on them and the aftermarket didn't.

I put the stock back until I could gut it all, which I have done now, all aftermarket speakers and amp but still the stock 8.4 head unit. Much better!

Oh man...thanks for the response...I was about to make the same mistake. What amp did you add to make everything sound right? I was trying to do this while keeping the stock head unit. If that is impossible...please let me know. I already have the Polk 3.5" dash speakers on the way. I was going to replace the stock dash speakers...then replace the front doors...and back doors in succession.

Last edited:

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think you'll be happy with the replacing the dash speakers. You'll get much more crisp highs. I bought an Alpine MRX-V70.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Alpine MRX-V70 5-Channel Class D Car Audio Amplifier

It's running off of the stock 3.0 radio wt a line out converter, four Alpine type r 6x9's and the loaded MTX thunderform. I'm happy wt my set up. Everything is running four ohms off of it. Very good set up for Rock music. I can't speak for really anything else.

About every fifth time I use my Ipod wt the center consule it locks up and will only work after I stop somewhere and the truck sits for a while. Sirus XM quit working about one week after I bought the truck and installed my aftermarket stuff. I'm honestly just going to wait till I have extra money to replace the HU rather than get the dealership to mess with the stock one. I've read about so many problems with the 3.0 I thought it was pointless to get them to work on it or replace it, plus I still wouldn't mind having a CD player. I didn't even know my truck didn't have one when I bought it. That was a suprise to say the least.

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I ran an alpine pdx v9 which is a 5 channel amp and used a JL clean sweep to retain the factory head unit. It sounds amazing.

ramflava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I took the truck in this morning to have them check a few problems. One of the problem being the previously mentioned usb/media issue. The service guy said they have a flash update for it. I'm not sure if it is the same update that we've done, but I'll let you know if they get it fixed.

OP
OP
Picton

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Yeah I spoke with Crutchfield. They supplied bass blockers with the 3.5" Polks and said "I'd want those for sure." It sounds like had you just installed some bass blockers in-line with the speakers, you wouldn't have had an issue. I just learned that last night though.

The 6x9s in the door sounded worse than stock too?! I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm afraid I don't know what 8 ohm vs. 4 ohm means either.

Thanks for the suggestions otherwise guys. I look forward to hearing about the dealership flash as well to see if that fixes anything. It appears after I started my truck with the USB already plugged in...it works every time so far. Weird.

Last edited:

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Longhorn All Options
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
Similar thing happened to me today too. All of a sudden the truck stopped picking up the USB, and the music would start playing through the phone speakers. I unplugged and plugged it numerous times with no luck. Then the bluetooth would drop out too and I would have to reconnect. Had similar issues with the Ford system too....maybe its an Iphone thing?:gr_guns:

ncaabbref

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Longhorn All Options
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 sp Auto
I looked into an update on uconnect to see if there was one I could download but it said my VIN wasn't eligible for one. I guess I will just have to deal with the headache. Maybe get a different unit for songs.... idk