2013 Ram radio info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Pulled this from a post from a Dodge rep.....kinda sucks!

All,

The new radio units are being phased in beginning with the 2013 Rams. I am posting this TSB in the hopes that people will understand that you will not be able to switch radios on these trucks. I do not have any information about aftermarket and do not know what effects these changes implemented will have on aftermarket availability but I just wanted everyone to be sure to understand how the new units will work and to get what you want upon purchase instead of counting on a change later. NAV can be added to the RA3 units.

NUMBER: 08-056-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 12, 2012

SUBJECT:
Information On New Radio Systems: Sales Code RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4
MODELS:
2013 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin pertains to vehicles that are equipped with, UCONNECT 3.0
AM/FM (sales code RA1) or UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (sales code RA2) or
UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS (sales code RA3) or UCONNECT 8.4AN
AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV (sales code RA4).
DISCUSSION:
The new Ram 1500 pickup truck has new radios with unique features.
· The electrical architecture has changed. The communication system/wiring is
modeled after the Powernet architecture. Unlike the other Powernet vehicles the
audio screen is part of the radio.
· The 911 call button will be enabled when the vehicle is put into Customer Mode, or
after the vehicle has been driven approximately 50 miles.
NOTE: To get the vehicle out of ship mode, please refer to TechCONNECT, 04 -
Vehicle Quick Reference/New Vehicle Preparation
Instructions/Standard Procedure.
· If the vehicle has an RA1 radio, it Can Not be upgraded to include Bluetooth/Hands
Free functionality. NO Mopar accessory kits are planned at this time.
NOTE: None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with
each other. If the vehicle came with an RA1, radio, you can NOT install
an RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. If the vehicle came with an RA4 radio, you
can NOT install an RA1, RA2 or RA3 radio and so on.
· Customers are able to purchase different Apps for these radio. If the radio is
replaced the Apps that the customer has purchased will take approximately one hour
of continuous ignition on time, with proper cellular coverage, before the Apps reload.
The vehicle can be returned to the customer before the purchased Apps have
reloaded. Advise the customer of the conditions that have to be met for the Apps to
reload.
· RA1, RA2, RA3 and RA4 radios will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· CD players will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· The radio sales code is no longer on the front of the radio. To identify an RA4 from a RA3 radio, the RA4 radio has 3D Navigation, and a “HD” symbol will be displayed on
the screen, see . To identify an RA1 from a RA2 radio, the RA2 radio will
have a phone button on the lower left hand corner of screen, see.
· RA3 radio is the only one that can be upgraded to include a Navigation feature. The
system will have to be activated by the dealer.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ain't that a *****? Like you said, I hope this doesn't affect aftermarket installs.

chris h.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the radio has cell service w/o your phone? Is there some sort of monthly/yearly fee? I'd be interested in the Pandora app.

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just got my 2013 yesterday and it has the 8.4a radio. Nav ready. I was pumped to try the apps and when I signed up and registered couldn't find the apps. Called Uconnect and they said the apps aren't available yet but hopefully soon. I am curious how they work too. I'm all for Pandora. I was wondering the same thing if they use cell service, fees etc. they also couldn't provide info on that either. I guess it's all too new, still a lot of unknowns.

I was also asking them if there was a way to get an HD radio upgrade because the 8.4an seems to have HD. Again couldn't get any info on that too lol.

bigq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a little frustrating. I am stuck with the Uconnect 3.0 (RA1), why they even call it a Uconnect radio is beyond me since it can't connect to anything. Anyway, I think I jumped on the Express version a little to soon. I would have liked to get the RA2 with the BT and such. I miss my Ford Sync more then I thought I would. Between never being able to replace the radio, the rattle in the dash and top driving me insane, I am starting to think this Dodge was a bad idea. I mean who makes it so the owner can never change the radio?:Rant:

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Is there any new info on this. My 2014 has the 5.0/RA2 now I wish I would ha e went ahead and speed it to ha e the RA3 OR RA4 with the 8.4 display. Grrrr. I'm guessing I can't install the tailgate back up camera either. Lol...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II...

Vapiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
damn that sucks...was really hoping to put the Nav radio in....bought an express and noticed when building the truck you couldn't even get it as a factory option....hopefully someone will come out with some kind of mod harness or something...I mean it shouldn't be "that" hard....I have the RA2 so I've already got the uconnect/BT/sat radio..... oh well...

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I have the RA2, my window sticker describes it as:
Integrated Voice Command with
Bluetooth(R)
Uconnect(R) 5.0 AM/FM/BT
5.0-Inch Touch Screen Display
SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio
Subscription

VARedRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RA1 UConnect 3 not ugradable?

Ouch! Just read the info about the UConnect 3.0 not being upgradable, wow that's a bummer. Anyone heard about aftermarkets yet? Would love to be Bluetooth connected at least!

VARedRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks really good!! Can you give me the specs on the harness and Kenwood model & costs? If you don't want to share it on the forum, send me a PM. Excellent news, thanks!

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the volume control and track control on a 2014 with the 5.0 Bluetooth. The back of the steering Wheel had already the place to put it but I don't know if the connection are there. And I don't want to try to remove the cover on the steering Wheel until warmer temperature.

Thx !

rescuejew91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 with 8 Speed
so their is no way for me to upgrade my uconnect 5.0 to the 8.3?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the volume control and track control on a 2014 with the 5.0 Bluetooth. The back of the steering Wheel had already the place to put it but I don't know if the connection are there. And I don't want to try to remove the cover on the steering Wheel until warmer temperature.

Thx !

Don't know if connections are there or not. May have to buy the steering wheel if possible.
My truck has the uConnect 5.0 with the steering wheel controls. It came with it (2013 BigHorn).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so their is no way for me to upgrade my uconnect 5.0 to the 8.3?

uConnect 5.0 and uConnect 8.4 are different systems (computer runs different functions) and can't be upgraded "up". You have to go with aftermarket units, but you will lose some of your "setting" functions with an aftermarket head unit.

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
uConnect 5.0 and uConnect 8.4 are different systems (computer runs different functions) and can't be upgraded "up". You have to go with aftermarket units, but you will lose some of your "setting" functions with an aftermarket head unit.

So if I were to attempt the switch from 5.0 to 8.4, what would be the worst that could happen? The 8.4 has more functions than the 5.0 obviously, but my 5.0 has almost all the same features, just on a different screen. Would I still be able to control the things I was previously, and just have some buttons/screens that do nothing? Would the radio even operate?

I'm open for speculations. I have a chance to buy the RA3 for $150.00 with no scratches/blemishes/broken tabs/etc.

Last edited:

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I were to attempt the switch from 5.0 to 8.4, what would be the worst that could happen? The 8.4 has more functions than the 5.0 obviously, but my 5.0 has almost all the same features, just on a different screen. Would I still be able to control the things I was previously, and just have some buttons/screens that do nothing? Would the radio even operate?

I'm open for speculations. I have a chance to buy the RA3 for $150.00 with no scratches/blemishes/broken tabs/etc.

The 5.0 and 8.4 uConnect are made by different companies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye