2013 Ram Sport with 8.4, adding backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy has a 13' sport, but is missing a few things. Oddly enough he does not have the sport hood, nor a backup camera.

Going to put a backup camera in his truck. Can I simply "plug in" a aftermarket tailgate handle camera and away we go? is the OEM tailgate handle camera worth the extra couple dollars?

And does he need a dealer flash to "activate" the backup camera / options within his 8.4 (Non-Navi) factory radio?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any aftermarket cam will work.

with both the "factory kit" and an aftermarket you will need to run all the wires and also have it programmed

the biggest advantage to the "factory kit" is you will get the active (moving) grid lines

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any aftermarket cam will work.

with both the "factory kit" and an aftermarket you will need to run all the wires and also have it programmed

the biggest advantage to the "factory kit" is you will get the active (moving) grid lines
Those are nice. So a trip to the dealer is needed regardless? I was hoping to avoid that part haha.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are nice. So a trip to the dealer is needed regardless? I was hoping to avoid that part haha.

unless you use an aftermarket with a lockpic type device there are many of them so just search on here

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Take a look at post 10 of the OEM Camera thread if you haven't seen it. Direction links are there also for comparison.

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I paid $230 on ebay for the handle, camera and box that avoids the trip to the dealer.. Couldn't be happier

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I paid $230 on ebay for the handle, camera and box that avoids the trip to the dealer.. Couldn't be happier
Can you link me to this?

I will check out that post 10. Thank you!!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Buy the factory kit. Everything fits perfectly and is high quality. If you really, really don't want to go to the dealer you can find someone with a scan tool or drop $200 on an OBDGenie.

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy the factory kit. Everything fits perfectly and is high quality. If you really, really don't want to go to the dealer you can find someone with a scan tool or drop $200 on an OBDGenie.

Wait, A buddy of mine is a mechanic, has a OBD scanner by SnapOn. I think its a Solus or something. Does this have the function? I know he just uses it to read codes and reset things.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aftermarket is no better or worse than factory... Other than the camera, the factory dodge camera is pretty crappy resolution.... my aftermarket is much clearer than my factory camera...

No the snapon scanner can't add sales codes

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Allrighty. Does anyone know the cost of the dealer flashing a code or two? I don't know how they would even charge for that.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Allrighty. Does anyone know the cost of the dealer flashing a code or two? I don't know how they would even charge for that.

It all depends on the dealer. If you have a good one, they might just do it for you if you come in for an oil change or to buy some parts. Others will bill you for a half hour or so at the shop rate.

Showing up at lunch time with a couple pizzas can work wonders sometimes too.