2013 Speaker/Amp/Subs Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought I would do a detailed post of my current build install.

2013 Ram Sport Quad Cab
8.4a not the Alpine system

Parts:
2 Sets Hertz ECX 690 front and back 6x9 replacements
Hertz DCX 87.3 3.5's replacements
2 Alpine Type Rs 8" dual 2ohm
Hertz HCP 1D
Hertz HCP 4D

IMAG0531_zpse69b882b.jpg

I choose Hertz Amps because no remote wire needed or RCAS required when using a factory deck.
Eliminating LOC. Nice feature to have when you have such an integrated HU that is no easily removed.

Yes its worth the extra cash especially if your a DIYer.

OP
OP
W

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I already had the Hertz HCP 1D hooked up to JL 10w3v3.

But yesterday I got my speakers and new subs.

Today I re wired power from 8ga to 4ga.

I also had the driver door panels both fronts and rears off. For testing the install fit of my new 6x9's. The only possible way they will the front is with the rubber off the magnet. They fit no problem in rear.

I also tried JL C2-690tx which only fit the front with the rubber off as well. But it was not as nice as the fitment of the Hertz. The JL's will be going in the gfs 2007 Ram 1500. I may do a write up on that as well.

Hertz vs Stock
IMAG0536_zps794bbd80.jpg

Hertz Flush
IMAG0540_zpsa2e841d9.jpg

JL 4mm gap
IMAG0539_zps41899be6.jpg

JL a little blurry
IMAG0538_zps4267f4c1.jpg

Hertz
IMAG0537_zps4c8f173c.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice so far! The front and rear must have completely different spacing because I have those JLs in rear doors with no issues what so ever. Keep up the good work. If you still have the doors off you might want to throw some deadner in there.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
DAMN IT!!! You guys are going to make me have to spend some money on audio stuff. I have the very basic stereo. I find myself with it turned all the way up a lot. Plus I'm sure with some upgraded stuff it would sound a lot better too.

To tell you how long it's been since I've messed around with car audio, I've never even heard of hertz.

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started to do a basic build over the weekend (just replacing the stock speakers) and I'm having a tough time. What wiring harnesses are you using, and could you verify the pos/neg wiring for the Dash, front and rear doors for me if it's not too much a bother? I believe I have them correct, but I'm getting conflicting information. For example, the wiring harness I received from Crutchfield for the dash speakers is wired opposite to what a post in a thread on the forum states it should be. But maybe that's because the Dash and front doors are wired in series, I don't know. For the doors, Crutchfiled says one harness, but a post on the board here said a different one. The connector looks the same, but with the wires switched.

Right now I'm rolling with no dash speakers because they will distort at certain lower frequencies and the OE speakers didn't. Happens no matter how I have them wired. But I'm starting to think it may be because they're drawing too much power. Infinity says they're "True 4-ohm", meaning they are 2 ohm speakers but create a true 4 ohm load on the wire. I'm not that big of an audiophile, but I do know that putting in a lower ohm rated speaker increases the power delivered. So maybe these speakers just can't handle the added power from the HU pushing a less restricted load.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm at my wits end and very confused at this point. I put in nice Kappa series speakers, that I've used in other cars, and it should really sound better. But I certainly would appreciate some concrete direction.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have heard that Crutchfield has some pretty knowledgeable tech staff, maybe give them a try.

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard that Crutchfield has some pretty knowledgeable tech staff, maybe give them a try.

I called them yesterday, but for the wiring question. He said if those were the harnesses they sold then they are correct. But when I asked him about what color wires were pos/neg, he went to pull up the schematic, and realized they only have data up to the 2011 model. So it's just their real educated guess that the wiring is the same. I'm looking for some real world data at this point.

For the distortion in the front speaker, I just came to this possible conclusion last night and haven't called yet. Maybe I'll do that today, but it's really just a theory at this point. I may be better served to get a set of dash speakers rated at 4 ohm and do a test.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the 2013 colors change? If not, you can find the diagrams. I'm guessing someone has posted the 2013 colors somewhere by now. Don't limit your search to Ram. I'm guess the same system in Chargers, 300s, etc. have the same wiring. 3.5s can't take much bass. I've never been a fan of Infinitys.

OP
OP
W

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started to do a basic build over the weekend (just replacing the stock speakers) and I'm having a tough time. What wiring harnesses are you using, and could you verify the pos/neg wiring for the Dash, front and rear doors for me if it's not too much a bother? I believe I have them correct, but I'm getting conflicting information. For example, the wiring harness I received from Crutchfield for the dash speakers is wired opposite to what a post in a thread on the forum states it should be. But maybe that's because the Dash and front doors are wired in series, I don't know. For the doors, Crutchfiled says one harness, but a post on the board here said a different one. The connector looks the same, but with the wires switched.

Right now I'm rolling with no dash speakers because they will distort at certain lower frequencies and the OE speakers didn't. Happens no matter how I have them wired. But I'm starting to think it may be because they're drawing too much power. Infinity says they're "True 4-ohm", meaning they are 2 ohm speakers but create a true 4 ohm load on the wire. I'm not that big of an audiophile, but I do know that putting in a lower ohm rated speaker increases the power delivered. So maybe these speakers just can't handle the added power from the HU pushing a less restricted load.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm at my wits end and very confused at this point. I put in nice Kappa series speakers, that I've used in other cars, and it should really sound better. But I certainly would appreciate some concrete direction.

Alpine or non alpine system?

I will be installing my 4ch amp and speakers today. Hopefully. I will be splicing the wires as none of my local shops carry the harness in stock. Which would make life a 100 times easier. But I can't wait.

I will post the results of the 3.5s as soon as they are installed. But I did notice yesterday that my stock 6x9s said 4 ohm. So my guess is the non alpine 8.4a system is a 4ohm system.

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Non-Alpine. My dash speakers were stamped 8 Ohm. I didn't look or notice on the 6x9's.

Good luck with the amp install, and if you find out which wires are which, and/or if the dash are wired with the front door (series/parallel) and let me know I would really appreciate it.

Swatem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Non-Alpine. My dash speakers were stamped 8 Ohm. I didn't look or notice on the 6x9's.

Good luck with the amp install, and if you find out which wires are which, and/or if the dash are wired with the front door (series/parallel) and let me know I would really appreciate it.

I posted on your original post about using a multimeter. PM me if u got any questions, I'm glad to help anyway I can.

~Chris

OP
OP
W

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the 3.5's this afternoon what a pain without the speaker harness.

IMAG0548_zpsc19ed8b7.jpg

Also wired up the 4ch amp and tested.

Weather turned to crap was expecting to have the rest of the speakers installed.

OP
OP
W

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/how_swap_out_speakers-17999/

I used that as a reference and my wires matched.

Yeah, thats the same one I used as a reference. But what has me questioning it is the wiring harness Crutchfield says to use with the dash speakers reverses the polarities.

Metra 71-039 Speaker Wiring Adapters Work with select 1990-up vehicles — connect new speakers to factory wiring plugs at Crutchfield.com

I believe the post is right though, since the positive leads for the front on his post (gray/violet and dark green violet) corresponded to the connector on the OEM dash speakers that had what looked to be a bass blocking capacitor.

Thanks for confirming the dash for me. If the doors are different please let me know.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ouch, I think I just threw a brain cell. So someone help me out, if I want to change out the stock 6 speakers, what ohms should I be looking for? Also if I only replace the 6x9's what color wires where and ohms?

Souths1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Big Horn Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch, I think I just threw a brain cell. So someone help me out, if I want to change out the stock 6 speakers, what ohms should I be looking for? Also if I only replace the 6x9's what color wires where and ohms?

Ouch is right. My head hurts too. I realize it seems like I'm rambling, but maybe I'm missing something.

There's even more that confuses me. In the how-to post we're referencing, it states the polarities for the front and rear. I already mentioned the confusion with the dash speakers. Well, for the door speakers, what he lists as polarities is confirmed by the harness Crutchfield shipped me, only they shipped me a different harness than the one he linked in the post. Just by the pictures on the website, they look like the same connector, but with the wires switched.

Harness linked in original How-To post:
Metra 71-050 Speaker Wiring Adapters Work with select 1999-up Chrysler vehicles — connect new speakers to the factory wiring plugs at Crutchfield.com

Harness Crutchfield sent me:
Metra 71-049 Speaker Wiring Adapters Work with select 1999-up vehicles — connect new speakers to factory wiring plugs at Crutchfield.com

I feel like an idiot at this point, and probably sound like one too. I just want to get it right, because it just doesn't sound quite right, but it doesn't sound bad. Just not as much an improvement over stock as I would have thought. Particularly the bass, I really don't hear much bass until I have the volume up over 18, and when its at around 22, it sounds great. Just weird it has to be turned up halfway before actually sounding good.

OP
OP
W

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The non alpine has 8 ohm for the 3.5's and 4 ohm for the 6x9's.

I am using 4 ohm all around.

The Alpine system has 2 ohm speakers from what Ive read but confirm that.

OP
OP
W

wcthattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ouch is right. My head hurts too. I realize it seems like I'm rambling, but maybe I'm missing something.

There's even more that confuses me. In the how-to post we're referencing, it states the polarities for the front and rear. I already mentioned the confusion with the dash speakers. Well, for the door speakers, what he lists as polarities is confirmed by the harness Crutchfield shipped me, only they shipped me a different harness than the one he linked in the post. Just by the pictures on the website, they look like the same connector, but with the wires switched.

Metra 71-050 Speaker Wiring Adapters Work with select 1999-up Chrysler vehicles — connect new speakers to the factory wiring plugs at Crutchfield.com

Metra 71-049 Speaker Wiring Adapters Work with select 1999-up vehicles — connect new speakers to factory wiring plugs at Crutchfield.com

I feel like an idiot at this point, and probably sound like one too. I just want to get it right, because it just doesn't sound quite right, but it doesn't sound bad. Just not as much an improvement over stock as I would have thought. Particularly the bass, I really don't hear much bass until I have the volume up over 18, and when its at around 22, it sounds great. Just weird it has to be turned up halfway before actually sounding good.

Did you switch the wires to verify a polarity issue?
I noticed my highs improved vastly with 3.5's but my bass went down a little.

If you are having issues take it to a shop. Once it stops being fun. Pay someone else to deal with your headache. :smoke2:

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI

No problems here with the posts. There's never dumb questions. Your comments lead to the other post about the wiring being posted and now I know how to get to the speakers. (taking door panels off and such) Shoot all you got bro. Hell it's a forum for a reason. Keep up the good work everyone and thanks to all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr