2014 1500 NAV Map Updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hi folks. I'm going up Monday to make the final go/no-go on a 2014 1500 QC. The unit has NAV and I told the salesperson the truck HAS TO have the most up to date maps available as I'm not interested in ponying up $150 for the current maps. I have two questions I was hoping you could help with. Thanks in advance.

1) This is a certified vehicle and the salesperson told me the map updates are part of the certification process and would have been brought current during the certification process. Can anyone confirm this? I looked through the list of what's inspected during the certification process and saw nothing as it relates to the NAV maps. Also, It's my understanding two updates can happen. A NAV "software" update and a "map" update. As a fairly well informed Garmin GPS user I know this is two different procedures. Especially if you don't have the lifetime maps. Software updates are usually free whereas "map" updates are not.

2) What is the most current mapset/version of maps for a 2014 RAM 1500? I want to be able to check it on Monday before taking delivery. If I decide to sign the papers.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I am pretty sure the salesperson is assuming that the uConnect software is the same as navigation updates. They are not, as you already guessed correctly, and the certification process does not install map updates.

The last update to the maps was in 2015.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The maps are most likely not updated unless the original owner did the update. The dealer will update the firmware in the radio in an inspection but that has nothing to do with the maps. You can easily find out by going into the settings menu in the radio and then into systems and to maps data base to see what maps are loaded in the truck. I believe my map base said 2011/2012 before I updated the maps.The most current maps were released in 2015 but the actual map base will say 2013/2014 on the radio. They are always a year or two behind.

Attachments

• 20160514_102439.jpg
    20160514_102439.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks guys! That great information...

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As it turns out, I didn't have all the facts. I sent mail to FCA and they told me the reason they're not included in the CPO certification process was because its third party software. I was under the impression you had to purchase map updates from the dealer. At the end of the day, they should still bring them current as part of the certification process. FCA would likely get them for little, to nothing, from Navteq.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

john94si

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It shouldn't be a deal breaker as the maps are always 1 to 2 yrs behind anyways. Use your cell phone if you really need directions.