2014 Keyless Entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very sorry if this is a thread that has been discussed to death, I'm a newb, and couldn't find the info I needed when I searched.

I picked up a 2014 1500 Express on Saturday, love the truck. Been a Ford guy all my life, but the incentives were too good to pass up.

My only gripe is that it came with power locks but no keyless entry?! Is there an easy way to add a keyless entry system or should I just go an buy an aftermarket kit and do it that way? It's a lease and I really didn't want to put anything non oem on it, but from the reading I've done, it looks like the oem setup is hella expensive!

Any input is greatly appreciated.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wait, what? Last I checked this is standard issue. Even better there's a little key hidden in it.
key-fob.jpg

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not according to my VIN and the dozen or so dealerships I contacted. My VIN says there's no components at all for keyless entry. Got quotes for anywhere from $800-$1400 from Dodge to install it because of all the components that are involved.

I don't know how to post it, but my key doesn't have a transmitter. It's a key on the end of the transponder.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
aftermarket is the way to go...

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I'm thinking. I just want a basic keyless entry. Got quote for around $200 installed. I'm not bothering to do it myself in the cold, I'd rather support a business and get it done local.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
If it came with power locks (power and remote entry group) pretty sure it should have come with keyless entry and "all secure". Both of my expresses do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the VIN checked, and it came back as non keyless entry components installed. Window sticker mentions nothing about keyless entry either.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's called a Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System. A fancy name for a transponder key.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found this:

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 OEM Keyless Entry Kit W/2 Keyless Entry Key Fobs

Not sure if anything else is needed, anyone know?

Im not 100% sure, but i'd be willing to be it wont work. These trucks have so many computer controlled items now days that adding items like this require the truck to be re-programmed. the problem is many items cant be programmed at the dealer level.

for $200 i would just do the aftermarket way. Hell for a little more you can just get a module, t-harness and a rf kit and have a keyless/ remote start and you can install it in about 15 minutes. (this is what i would do)

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where would I find all of that? I have installed many stereo systems in my past, but NEVER did an alarm or remote start or anything like that. And not willing to splice into factory wires right now, lol.

Any links or help would be greatly appreciated!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where would I find all of that? I have installed many stereo systems in my past, but NEVER did an alarm or remote start or anything like that. And not willing to splice into factory wires right now, lol.

Any links or help would be greatly appreciated!

here is the unit and the t-harness

Remote Start Kit for 2013 Dodge RAM with DBALL2 THCHD3 T Harness XKLOADER2 | eBay

here is the remote kit

Directed 9656V (dei-9656v) 1-Way LED Remote System

there is only 2 wires to actually hook up. both of which are note 100% needed (parking lights and rap shut down)
rap wire i know in the trucks with the evic the delayed accessory can be turned off so this wire is not needed. park lights they ill not flash when you unlock/lock or remote start. otherwise its all plug and play

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's literally plug and play?? And is that remote start with keyless? Also, is this the only combo available like this?

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like that works in conjunction with a factory remote, which I don't have. My truck doesn't have keyless entry installed.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thats why you need the rf kit to get the keyless/ starting functions.

OP
OP
vpalace

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read the description, but it didn't mention the rf kit. I'm assuming that's another piece I have to find?

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Take a picture of your window sticker and post it.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the 2 links i posted. the frist is for the rs/keyless and the t-harness, the 2nd is for the rf kit. the rf kit is the remote and antenna.