2014 Ram 1500 Uconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently purchased a ram 1500 from a used car dealer. I had an issue with the factory unit where the GPS and Sirius xm would not work. I later found out that my truck was a Canadian built truck and that both the gps and xm will not work in the states. I just purchased and installed a new RA4 unit, after the install the unit said to calibrate the unit by going to a main road with a clear view of the sky. I've done that and still no luck with the map working. Is there anything else I can do to get this to work? I'm not sure if I'll have to replace the antenna or cables. Any help is appreciated.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does this truck have the shark fin antenna installed ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
there shouldn't be any reason why the GPS and XM wouldn't work stateside as Canada uses the same "signals". Most likely the antenna and/or associated wiring is faulty.

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I brought my truck to the dealership they stated that the gps won't work due to the US maps not being available on the unit. I called Sirius xm as to why I couldn't get that to work and they also stated because my radio is a Canadian unit

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated the GPS should work even if the radio is from Canada. , many members have used the VP4 CA radio with no issues. Your Puck style antenna is all you need for the GPS signal to work. If I were you I would start double-checking your connections and make sure your GPS antenna is connected correctly. It is normal for the radio to say it needs to calibrate for your position when you first install it. Without seeing your truck or being able to diagnose it it sounds like the radio is not getting a signal. The US maps are available on the VP4 CA. I think RLK used one for a while with no issues and his GPS worked untill he bought my spare VP4 NA. Remember unfortunately in most cases the dealers are clueless and routinely give out incorrect information. They don't even understand how these truck's work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll look over the wiring and connections, thanks for the tips. So just to make sure that I'm correct, I don't need to replace my antenna to a shark fin?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll look over the wiring and connections, thanks for the tips. So just to make sure that I'm correct, I don't need to replace my antenna to a shark fin?
No you do not need a shark fin at all the puck style antenna works fine to bring your GPS signal in plus your XM Satellite service. Shark fin antenna is for your WiFi and Uconnect service which we do not use when we do the conversions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I brought my truck to the dealership they stated that the gps won't work due to the US maps not being available on the unit. I called Sirius xm as to why I couldn't get that to work and they also stated because my radio is a Canadian unit

I'm willing to bet you can bring up this same screen on your radio..
9712797b0dec0156568bcc6826a1a045.jpg
The dealer is full of BS..the same goes for Sirius..
http://www.siriusxm.com/coveragemap?desktop=yes

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That option doesn't look familiar to me but I'll have to see if I can open it when I get back to my truck

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep , your Canadian radio should've worked navigation wise as the VP4CA has U.S. Maps ; however, if your radio was a VP3CA without Nav installed then you wouldn't have Navigation. ...and as mentioned above you would not have SXM .

The only reason I asked about the shark fin antenna was to make sure something hadn't been added incorrectly since it's a used truck .

The puck is all you need for Nav & SXM with an RA4 8.4NA radio . You will want a 911 delete plug aka 911 fooler from M2Mods a vendor here to keep the ( Service phone required ) or something like that .

Good luck and keep us informed

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I should have noted that menu is under: Where to? then by: Address

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, I checked to make sure the antenna was connected which is was. I'm not sure if there could be an issue with the the wiring or if the antenna went bad. Not sure where to go from here

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Alright, I checked to make sure the antenna was connected which is was. I'm not sure if there could be an issue with the the wiring or if the antenna went bad. Not sure where to go from here
Fyi, there's another segment connection behind the front passenger side kick panel before it goes up the headliner and to the puck. (Another connection at the puck).

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just checked that connection as well which was connected

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just checked that connection as well which was connected
Have you tried to initiate sxm service to your RA4 yet ?

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried that today as well, it was not receiving the signal

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In your OP. You said you purchased a " New " RA4

Were did you get it from ....maybe it's the radio ?

You should have a grey mini usb plug = usb in console , mustard color= sxm/GPS to the puck antenna , white plug = am/FM antenna and an unused purple plug which would normally go to the shark fin antenna but you'll need to install the delete plug.

Does the am /fm work ? Does all other radio functions work ?

What is the p/n of the radio ?
Software version ?
Year of the radio ?

OP
OP
R

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased it off infotainment. I have those exact cables plugged in. Everything works with the radio except the Sirius and gps feature. I've been talking with infotainment in case it is the radio