2014 Ram RA1 Uconnect 3.0 to RA2 Uconnect 5.0 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
So, I've seen this question pop up a couple times with only three general types of responses.

1) People say to search as it has been covered many times yet I have never been able to find a thread that didn't contain the same answer of searching or 2 or 3 listed below.

2) People quote a factory memo of some sort saying that the stereos in 13+ trucks can't be upgraded or changed out at all which we know isn't true.

3) People say not to bother, post links to the Metra kits, and say go aftermarket.

So that being said, I have found one thread online elsewhere where the member stated they were able to install a RA2 in place of their RA1, plug and play, but took some other mods to make the compass and bluetooth work.

I have not found a single instance of someone saying they tried it and it didn't work.

So here it is, I have the RA1, would like to go to the RA2 because it looks nicer, if I can make BT work would be an added bonus, no matter how clean of an install I don't think aftermarket ever looks right, and with all the folks upgrading their RA2 units to something more I should be able to find one fairly simply. In fact, if anyone wants to donate their RA2 unit to me I'll give it a try, take the pics, do the write up, and see what I can do about making the compass and BT work.

Or does anyone know of some more info on what it takes to make everything work? I'm only interested in spending the money to do it if I know it will work. I'm not interested in a half assed install.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have not personally done this, however I have read on other forums of people doing this. Between both of these radios it is just a simple swap, plug and play. The only thing you will most likely be missing is the steering wheel controls for uconnect.

OP
OP
TwistedJake

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I have not personally done this, however I have read on other forums of people doing this. Between both of these radios it is just a simple swap, plug and play. The only thing you will most likely be missing is the steering wheel controls for uconnect.

You don't happen to have a link to someone who has done this successfully do you? PM it to me?

I've never used the BT but are the steering wheel controls required. As in does the option not exist on the head unit itself for controlling things? I'm guessing the buttons are easy to add but will require a trip to the dealership huh?

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Last edited:

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You don't happen to have a link to someone who has done this successfully do you? PM it to me?

I've never used the BT but are the steering wheel controls required. As in does the option not exist on the head unit itself for controlling things? I'm guessing the buttons are easy to add but will require a trip to the dealership huh?
TwistedJake
The link they provided is for the steering wheel audio controls. You are going to want the steering wheel uconnect buttons. They go on the front of the wheel. They are right above the evic buttons.

You will need to install the mirror with the microphone in it to use the bluetooth speakerphone functions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwistedJake

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Much appreciated. I guess my question about the steering wheel controls is:

1) Do they add function that can't be accessed via the head unit itself? If I can install the RA2 and ensure function is correct then I can take the next step of steering wheel controls.

2) Are the steering wheel controls (audio and/or uconnect) require a flash of anything by the dealership or should they also be plug and play?

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Much appreciated. I guess my question about the steering wheel controls is:

1) Do they add function that can't be accessed via the head unit itself? If I can install the RA2 and ensure function is correct then I can take the next step of steering wheel controls.

2) Are the steering wheel controls (audio and/or uconnect) require a flash of anything by the dealership or should they also be plug and play?
They add voice recognition and the button for the phone.

The audio controls don't require a dealer flash on 2013+ trucks. I don't know about the uconnect buttons.

OP
OP
TwistedJake

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
They add voice recognition and the button for the phone.

The audio controls don't require a dealer flash on 2013+ trucks. I don't know about the uconnect buttons.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but can voice recognition and the phone not be operated via the head unit itself? I don't have either feature currently and just wasn't sure how it worked exactly on the RA2.

I could go visit my parents and see how theirs work even though they don't use the features. There is a 2014 300 and 2015 200 in their driveway with all the bells and whistles, I've just never played with them.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I never use the buttons on the wheel. I didn't like the voice recognition when I tried it.
It does not require the buttons to have the bluetooth function for the phone or for streaming audio to the head unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I think I need to start watching this thread...
In my case, I am happy with my "uconnect 3.0" base radio, but it seems I need a higher level radio in order to upgrade my instrument cluster, and retain full functionality for setting/changing vehicle user-preferences (stuff like illuminated approach, hill-assist, etc). I don't care about bluetooth. And I suppose it might be nice later on to upgrade my steering wheel to be able to control volume with that. So I guess that means a 5.0 "RA2"?

Also, I have OEM backup-camera which displays on mirror. Would upgrading mean that the camera display would be on the radio instead? I would not mind that, actually.

Also, I'm seeing posts where folks are having dealers to software "flash updates" to correct problems with their radios. Chrysler Group isn't going to know my truck has a 5.0-ra2, so if they apply all updates, and one is for the original 3.0, what happens? I guess any future flaws in the 5.0 I transplant would remain for life and never fixed by a subsequently available flash update?

wjbigrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.0 ro 5.0 upgrade

So I just changed my radio out from the 3.0 to the 5.0. It was plug and play just as has been stated. I don't have the bt microphone in my rear view mirror and have one ordered and on its way. The reason for my post is to ask if any one has had any issues with the rear speakers not working after swapping out radios. The 5.0 only gives me an option for balance and no option for fade. any help would be appreciated.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi there, did you get this finished up? Did installing the bt mic completed the functionally for bt with uconnect 5 and all works as designed?
Thanks

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the swap from RA1 to RA2 and it's basically plug and play. You will need a bt mic to get your phone to work like it should that is, you can talk and listen on a phone call. I didn't install the steering wheel buttons, yet. To get the compass to work you will the compass module that installs in the overhead console as well as have a dealer code installed, not sure what the code is? Speaking of codes, if you get a RA2 or other factory head unit you will need to get the security code for that unit or it will not work so, buyer beware. There are a lot of radios out there that are slightly warm if you get my drift...

Hope all of this helps.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for the response. Still trying to decide if I should upgrade to 5.0 or just go the aftermarket route to get the nav as well...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Thank you for the response. Still trying to decide if I should upgrade to 5.0 or just go the aftermarket route to get the nav as well...

If you are an audiophile, go aftermarket. Otherwise I would recommend sticking with the 5.0 and just using your smart phone for Navigation.

Even with the factory 8.4 upgrade or aftermarket save a few open source systems, buying the map upgrades can get pricey.

ZJMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just changed my radio out from the 3.0 to the 5.0. It was plug and play just as has been stated. I don't have the bt microphone in my rear view mirror and have one ordered and on its way. The reason for my post is to ask if any one has had any issues with the rear speakers not working after swapping out radios. The 5.0 only gives me an option for balance and no option for fade. any help would be appreciated.

I've seen people have this issue before and it seems that the radio came from a 2 door truck not a 4 door. The 4 door trucks have the fade option and the 2 door trucks do not. You may be able to reinstall the files for the 4 door on the stereo via a usb flash drive. I've seen talk of that as well.

Max

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So ended up picking up a RA2 from the classifieds and installing. Worked great and a complete plug and play 1 to 1 swap as said above. I do have the new mirror already (auto dimming with mics), is there a write up on installing one? My current mirror is a non powered mirror, so no harness is up there. So I'm assuming I will need to run a harness to power and the RA2? Can I buy one?

wjbigrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked mine up from Tasca Auto Parts online. the tread Ram radio 3.0 to 5.0 upgrade might be of help to you

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked mine up from Tasca Auto Parts online. the tread Ram radio 3.0 to 5.0 upgrade might be of help to you

Thanks, do you have a part number by any chance?