2014 Ram RA1 Uconnect 3.0 to RA2 Uconnect 5.0 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjbigrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it is P/N 68207372A . double check me though. :)

muddemon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The other bonus i found switching from the RA-1 to the RA-2 is a much better sound. Thought i would have to upgrade the speakers cause the original radio sounded so bad.
I have a 2015 SXT Crew cab

Dirtydodge14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxubC9hxt8

Watch this is shows you essentially everything you would need to know. Not complicated, straight forward and shows walks through each radio step up upgrades. I have a 2014 as well and am going to get a 5.0 ra3 off of these guys website. Everything is programmed, all you have to do is plug it in. They briefly talk about how to get the Satellite cable and what not installed to go all the way to a ra4 8 radio but that isnt for me so you may have to do abit more research. This will however defintiely help you.

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Purely superficial question and issue, But does anyone know how to change the color scheme on an RA2? My truck has charcoal grey interior with blue accent lights for instrument panel and dash instruments, but the radio RA2 is orange/white display for the volume bars and such. anyone know how to change that. The RA2 owners manual said I have a choice of color themes, but never got into how to manipulate the color. Anyone with a clue, please reply

Mac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SO I get this guy at work asking me why I am spending so much time and money trying to get the backup cam to work. What was wrong with the way the truck came and why do I need a back up camera at all ? I simply explained to him that people tend to get upset when you run over their kids and pets while backing out of places.....lol

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I got that question from people at work when I had my prior 13 ram. Basically I got a deal on it and it was still cheaper adding the features I didn't have vs buying a higher trim truck.

Hopefully the new radio will get you squared away & everything will be golden.

M² Mods.

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
SO I get this guy at work asking me why I am spending so much time and money trying to get the backup cam to work. What was wrong with the way the truck came and why do I need a back up camera at all ? I simply explained to him that people tend to get upset when you run over their kids and pets while backing out of places.....lol

I went from a small compact car (2007 Dodge Caliber) to my Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Needless to say it is a whole other beast. I didn’t have the backup camera, but added it shortly after purchase. I can parallel park on the street like a pro now. It just add that extra comfort knowing exactly what is behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have just upgraded my RA-2 to the RA-3 and added the OEM style backup camera from infotainment.com (was OEMparts.com) in my 2014 1500 Express. The only problem has been that the USB and the compass won't work. Everything else is fine - SiriusXM, Backup camera, AM/FM, remote CD player. The first RA-2 they sent was from a 2015 and they thought that was the problem so they replaced it with a 2014 unit. Still no USB and no compass. They have had me try the can-bus reset as well as a soft reset on the RA-2 unit. Nothing helps.

Anyone had this problem and, if so, how was it fixed, if at all?

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Also must have had a brain freeze. The upgrade was from RA-1 to RA-2 obviously. Also forgot to add that Blue Tooth also works with the new RA-2

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also must have had a brain freeze. The upgrade was from RA-1 to RA-2 obviously. Also forgot to add that Blue Tooth also works with the new RA-2
Your compass is not going to work on your RA2 radio because your truck does not have the compass module. Unless you have installed over the overhead console with a compass module and added the wiring and enabled the code in the truck the compass will not work in the RA2 radio when you upgrade from the RA1 radio. Also just a quick note when you buy a radio from infotainment it is not programmed to your truck you are given the unlock code which works for any truck and they install the latest firmware that anybody can obtain from the Chrysler website themselves. All of these upgrades were figured out by people on this forum and they have been copied by other people trying to make money. You can purchase any correct RA2 radio and install it in your truck and it will work plug and play you can pick them up all day long at wrecking yards for $50 to $100. We also have the capability of enabling any codes that we want ourselves if you go check out the alpha OBD thread you can see that it can be done substantially cheaper than paying infotainment for their product.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stone Cold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I've seen this question pop up a couple times with only three general types of responses.

1) People say to search as it has been covered many times yet I have never been able to find a thread that didn't contain the same answer of searching or 2 or 3 listed below.

2) People quote a factory memo of some sort saying that the stereos in 13+ trucks can't be upgraded or changed out at all which we know isn't true.

3) People say not to bother, post links to the Metra kits, and say go aftermarket.

So that being said, I have found one thread online elsewhere where the member stated they were able to install a RA2 in place of their RA1, plug and play, but took some other mods to make the compass and bluetooth work.

I have not found a single instance of someone saying they tried it and it didn't work.

So here it is, I have the RA1, would like to go to the RA2 because it looks nicer, if I can make BT work would be an added bonus, no matter how clean of an install I don't think aftermarket ever looks right, and with all the folks upgrading their RA2 units to something more I should be able to find one fairly simply. In fact, if anyone wants to donate their RA2 unit to me I'll give it a try, take the pics, do the write up, and see what I can do about making the compass and BT work.

Or does anyone know of some more info on what it takes to make everything work? I'm only interested in spending the money to do it if I know it will work. I'm not interested in a half assed install.
Twistedjake
Go to this site and see if this can help you Infotainment.com

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Your compass is not going to work on your RA2 radio because your truck does not have the compass module. Unless you have installed over the overhead console with a compass module and added the wiring and enabled the code in the truck the compass will not work in the RA2 radio when you upgrade from the RA1 radio. Also just a quick note when you buy a radio from infotainment it is not programmed to your truck you are given the unlock code which works for any truck and they install the latest firmware that anybody can obtain from the Chrysler website themselves. All of these upgrades were figured out by people on this forum and they have been copied by other people trying to make money. You can purchase any correct RA2 radio and install it in your truck and it will work plug and play you can pick them up all day long at wrecking yards for $50 to $100. We also have the capability of enabling any codes that we want ourselves if you go check out the alpha OBD thread you can see that it can be done substantially cheaper than paying infotainment for their product.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OK - I quickly went to the AlphaOBD link and there is nothing I saw about RA1 to RA2. Also, I bought the infotainment product since I also wanted the back up camera and they include a harness to make that connection. As I said before, everything works EXCEPT the Media Hub USB and the compass. Assuming what you say is true about the compass, so be it. Again, if there is a "code" to make the USB work, in plain English, what do I need to do to "enable the code" as you say? I do not have any sort of scan tool either.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Infotainment.com check out the site they have a lot of info.
Hello. As you can see by my posts, I purchased the RA2 and the OEM style back up camera kit from infotainment. It seems like you may have had some experience in this area so can you help with the issue of the USB in the Media Hub not working? Also, Ricks Ram says the compass will not work without installing a number of other things and I wanted to verify if that is true. As I said in my reply to him, no big deal on the compass but I really want to have the USB work. Thanks.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Edit

20181010_162256.jpeg

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Edit

Last edited:

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
OK. Everything is finally working (except the compass but, as Ricks Ram says, it won't work without the compass module - maybe something to take on in the future). The solution was to enter a VIN from a truck with the same model year that came with the RA2 unit (infotainment.com sent me a VIN) into the driveuconnect.com web site. When I did that it allowed me to download the software update for the 2014 RA2 unit (RA2C_RJ2_DTRUCK_14_08_32_05_02_20_01.zip). The site also includes the step by step process for updating the software. I followed that and everything works.

I know this may be super obvious to some of the more experienced forum members but I wanted to spell it out for the rest of us dummies/newbies. Bottom line, since my truck never had the RA2 unit, entering my VIN only gave me the update for the RA1. I don't know how anyone else can get the correct VIN for the upgrade they are doing but I'm guessing the info from Ricks Ram tells you how. I just didn't really understand what he was telling me to do.

Much appreciated anyway Ricks Ram.

Terry Drennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l Ecodiesel
This is for Mpgrimm2, are you still making the backup camera and microphone reroute for a 2019 ram 1500 classic (3.0 L Eco diesel). I'm changing my radio from a 3.0 to a 5.0, also adding the evic switch in the steering wheel. Does a microphone come with the kit and how does the camera hook into the radio?