2016 Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSwede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the 2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Big Horn Pkg, I am being told I cannot add the Mopar Backup Camera to the existing 8.4 Screen as could be done last year. This truck has the Chimsel camera for the 5th wheel tow pack but NO factory backup camera. My understanding is that the 2016 models have a minor change that allows you to toggle from either camera from the bottom of the 8.4 screen and it allows both cameras to be displayed in the 8.4 (one at a time) rather than one of the cameras in the rear view mirror like the past few years. I don't want to go with an aftermarket that replaces my rearview mirror because it is too small and I would lose my ASSIST and 911 buttons in the aftermarket mirror as well as the microphones for the Uconnect system. I desperately need some suggestions on how my dealer can add the Mopar backup camera to the 8.4 screen. Thank you!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm sure it can be done. The 2013-2015 RA4 radios actually have 3 camera inputs but only 1 is activated by default. Just the dealer may not be able to do it.
2016 should be the same.

See Cptwing's Installing oem Backup Camera thread post 10 and his OP.

My Post 10 (in addition to the op) details the useful links, camera inputs and install directions for the official kit as well as a schematic i made to use with the kits directions.
This will help you out a lot.

There is more to it, but repost in that thread that a few of us watch and we can see what you want to move forward on.
Basically if you want both on the radio you will likely have to move the CHMSL Cam to a different input, install the official backup camera kit and get a new sales code flashed to enable both inputs if that really is an option on the 2016 RA4 radio. Otherwise, you will need a jailbreak usb key from CustomTronix or a Lockpik module add-on to enable the extra inputs like the 2013-2015 radios require.

Edit: you will also need to get the build sheet for your truck (as installed features and sales codes ) and we may need your VIN to check actual installed wiring in the truck.

Question:
Are there any 2016 RAM trucks on the lot or out there (1500 & up) with both the factory backup and CHMSL Cams on the radio? (vs backup on the mirror and CHMSL on the radio which is the factory default as far as I know on 2013-2015's with both).

If we have a VIN from said truck, we can identify/verify exactly what to do... in the other thread.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very interesting. ... if the dealer is the one saying it can't be done ...I'd take THAT with a GIANT grain of salt .
Meaning it likely can be done and probably easier than you would think.
Good chance to simply relocating the CHSML 3rd brake camera inputs from the Radio C1 connectors socket 31,32&33 to another camera input . And installing the OEM Backup cam kit into the C1 Connectors sockets 31,32 &33 to display the backup cam in your 8.4" radio screen .

I'm not familiar with the 2016 trucks though ..

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@RLK,
Exactly. He likely also has the sales code to display the CHMSL on the radio but not the backup camera code (XAC)... so once the inputs are moved and the backup camera wiring added, he may only need to add the XAC code to have both fiction on the 2016 radio, but it probably depends on what inputs the CHMSL is currently using.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
350510db9fee010ea5fddd4bdb38e243.jpg

If his 31,32&33 are populated with the CHSML cam wires I think he could insert them in 21 ,22 , &23 as stated above in the screen shot I just took from Mpgrimm2 post #10 link to CHSML wires to post 14 .

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@RLK,
Exactly. He likely also has the sales code to display the CHMSL on the radio but not the backup camera code (XAC)... so once the inputs are moved and the backup camera wiring added, he may only need to add the XAC code to have both fiction on the 2016 radio, but it probably depends on what inputs the CHMSL is currently using.

I'm thinking the same thing !
I hope we can get this done , this could potentially help many and we'd learn more about the 2016 s in the process !

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@TheSwede,
Where are you located roughly? If it's close enough you might be able to get some help looking this over sometime just so we can get more info like RLK said.

INTENSE!

OP
OP
T

TheSwede

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
backup cam install

I am located in Central MN. My Parts Dept guy said he called the regional parts center, gave them the vin and was told it cant be done! Im tempted to start calling other Service depts.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am located in Central MN. My Parts Dept guy said he called the regional parts center, gave them the vin and was told it cant be done! Im tempted to start calling other Service depts.
Well you are too far for me or RLK, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

I am 99.5% certain it can be done. Even in your 2016. Just may require a bit of poking around in your dash to verify things.

Cptwing has a 2500 or 3500 tradesman that he upgraded the ra1 to RA4, and actually has all 3 cameras installed and working on the radio.

Please have a read through the camera thread linked previously to bring you up to speed and I'm sure we can get you straightened out.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you found out anything ?
Status ?