2016 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman CC Audio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
So last year I needed something more fuel efficient to make my current 158 mile round trip commute than my 2009 Silverado. Need a truck to tow the boat and really didn't want a 3rd vehicle so I went with my first non-GM truck, a new 2016 RAM Outdoorsman EcoDiesel CrewCab.

Fast forward a year and it was definitely time for an audio upgrade (something I've never done in past vehicles). Did some research on this and other RAM forums and here is what I ended up with.

Phase I - Called Crutchfield and ended up with Kicker DSC 3.5", 6.5" and 6x9". They had there buy 1 get 1 half off deal and I was only out like $160. Installed those along with some Dynamat strips inside the door (only what i could access through openings). MAJOR Improvement in every way. Probably the best $160 I've ever spent on a vehicle.

Phase I.5 - Noticed a vibration/resonance a few days later coming from dash speakers. Added an inexpensive inline 'bass blocker' type crossover. Believe it cuts out everything under 400Hz. Problem fixed. $16

Phase II - Had a stereo shop near where I work install a Clarion XC2510 amp. 50W x 4 and 200W x 1 @ 4 Ohms. The installed it under the center console (not easily accessible, but very protected). This was the expensive part as installation, amp install kit, and an inexpensive LOC was more than the amp. $558 and another very noticeable improvement. Everything is significantly clearer!

Phase III - Bought a factory enclosure with the Pioneer 8" pancake sub that was filled with polyfil from RamForum member for $175 shipped as I really wasn't ready to give up the Fold Flat Floors. Another improvement as it filled in some lows, however, I have some resonance on the lowest frequencies (Haven't determined if its the enclosure or the door panels from the 6x9s).

Summary - I actually look forward to my commute now that I have a decent sounding system. The setup plays Country, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal and Blues really well. Rap / Hip Hop is the only music that has caused the resonance I spoke of in Phase III. I will update this thread if I make changes/fix the resonance issue.

OP
OP
B

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Phase IV Audio Upgrade

Pulled the Factory Sub-Enclosure with Pioneer Speaker and added:

Image Dynamics IDQ10 4 ohm DVC wired to 2 ohms inside a Fiberglass Altrend AFG 201-10 enclosure with polyfill. Enclosure is well made IMHO, but I had to modify the opening to fit the sub (Opening was 9 1/8", Sub approx. 9 5/8"). Sub is usually $200+ and the enclosure is normally around $300 I believe. Used the make an offer on Sonic Electronix and got both for under $300 shipped. Incredibly impressed with this combination. Very tight, clean bass regardless of music genre!

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
How is the box holding up? Im between buying that box vs just buying the jl stealthbox