2016 Ram 1500 Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Packerbkd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport. It has a sporadic issue where the cruise control does not turn on. I took it to the dealer and they said that since the truck had no trouble codes, there was really nothing they could do. I was wondering if anyone else out there had a similar issue.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You must have done something, or acted a certain way... To give them the idea that they could tell you that and you'd just walk out.

I guess it worked though lol... But that is absolute bs.

Had my buttons replaced under warranty.

At what point in time would you get error codes or a check engine light for fkin cruise control buttons?!

(Edit- ^ this is what I would have asked the dealership, not asking you.)

raw.gif

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Find another dealership. The retard is strong with the one you just went to.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like simply the switch is bad on an intermittent basis and since that wont throw a code the service department where you went can't or wont think about the obvious.

OP
OP
P

Packerbkd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I called the dealership where I had originally purchased the truck. They are going to change out the switch for me this Friday without even seeing the truck or diddling around checking codes. I guess my local dealership has lost any of my future business.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a late 2015 Sport, mine has been doing the same thing.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a late MY 2015 RAM with similar issues. It has only happened 3 times since I purchased the truck in January. All 3 times, the cruise control has turned off for no reason while travelling on the interstate. It just happened yesterday.

If it doesn't get worse, I probably will not make a special trip to the dealer for it.

14eco1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Mine does it too. I gotta hold my mouth just right for it to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Packerbkd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I called the dealership where I had originally purchased the truck. They are going to change out the switch for me this Friday without even seeing the truck or diddling around checking codes. I guess my local dealership has lost any of my future business.

I took my truck back to the dealership that I purchased it from even though it is an hour away. They replaced the cruise control switch without question. It has worked perfectly ever since.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's good that the other dealer took care of the issue. I would not go back to the other dealer. Its worh the hour drive to get good service. Unfortunately in many cases the Techs and the dealers seem completely uneducated and disinterested in trying to correct issues in these trucks. I have seen a lot of posts with people having similar issues as yours when going to dealers and getting the complete run around. It is sad. I think the biggest complaint about the Ram truck is not the truck itself is the horrible customer service and unqualified mechanics.

OriginUnknown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just want to add that I had the same sporadic CC on/off functionality with my 13, but never resolved it. I have a 15 now that hasn't had the issue.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
At what point in time would you get error codes or a check engine light for fkin cruise control buttons?!

That's not exactly correct.

Codes will absolutely be set for cruise control buttons. They won't set a CEL but if a button is stuck or sending weird signals it will most certainly a code will be set.

That being said faulty cruise switches are pretty common. If I was the tech working on his truck I would have just called the switch, seen it enough to not even think twice about replacing them.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
cruise control needs to work with systems that monitor vehicle sensors and signals, it only makes sense that a code would be stored.

nissans operate the same way as tach_tech described. a code will be stored but SES / CEL will not illuminate.

to OP: a symptom cannot be diagnosed if it is not currently happening. but, as mentioned before, why not just throw the most common part at it. its under warranty ... why not!

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Cruise control issue

I have 14000 on my Ram the cruise control issue has popped up that when you push the on/off button nothing happens but I hit the cancel button and still nothing so I tried pushing and holding both set & resume together for a couple of seconds and let go then try the power button again it works fine WTH but it works