2017 1500 8.4 Uconnect with Nav. Apps removed. Android Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long story short, I was advised by Uconnect that they removed the Pandora, iHeartRadio and a couple other apps from Uconnect. I really enjoyed the Pandora app in my jeep, I guess no longer in the Ram.

Point of story is that the rep said I could have a challenger or charger radio installed in place my 8.4 in order to get Android Auto. Had anyone done this? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Long story short, I was advised by Uconnect that they removed the Pandora, iHeartRadio and a couple other apps from Uconnect. I really enjoyed the Pandora app in my jeep, I guess no longer in the Ram.

Point of story is that the rep said I could have a challenger or charger radio installed in place my 8.4 in order to get Android Auto. Had anyone done this? Thanks in advance.

Wont fit, radio mount is totally different, and the ram console hub does not support android auto and does not work 100% in the rams yet.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wont fit, radio mount is totally different, and the ram console hub does not support android auto and does not work 100% in the rams yet.

How does the console hub not support it? It is a USB connection - the only issue would be resistance. We noticed this with Kenwood's on the early CarPlay radios.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
How does the console hub not support it? It is a USB connection - the only issue would be resistance. We noticed this with Kenwood's on the early CarPlay radios.

Because there is a circuit in the newer hubs that are not in the old ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In theory, what would be stopping you from running your own dedicated USB line directly from the 8.4? With a long enough cable you could just replace the factory USB with some fabrication.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
In theory, what would be stopping you from running your own dedicated USB line directly from the 8.4? With a long enough cable you could just replace the factory USB with some fabrication.

It doesn't work for CarPlay, only for updates.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What doesn't work for CarPlay? If the unit has power - and your own USB line - why wouldn't CarPlay work?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
What doesn't work for CarPlay? If the unit has power - and your own USB line - why wouldn't CarPlay work?

CarPlay requires the hub to work. It's common in the GM CarPlay upgrades at work. I have 20 or so UAQ on my desk at work, straight USB + iPhone cable does not work. Won't even charge your phone.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that is stupid lol - If you use a hub from a '17 Charger - then what is the next issue at hand?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Well that is stupid lol - If you use a hub from a '17 Charger - then what is the next issue at hand?

Mount is totally different and can't even be held into the dash to put the center stack back. Also, heated/cooled seat buttons don't work, and some of the options in the settings either. I haven't got a unit in yet that has ram themes on them either which points to the RAM keeping the same mount as now with a different PN radio. Should have one within the next 6 months or so though.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mount is totally different and can't even be held into the dash to put the center stack back. Also, heated/cooled seat buttons don't work, and some of the options in the settings either. I haven't got a unit in yet that has ram themes on them either which points to the RAM keeping the same mount as now with a different PN radio. Should have one within the next 6 months or so though.

My concern is more so for a '16 Charger... any testing with that? I don't think my '13 Ram even has a shot for the radio to work properly.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
My concern is more so for a '16 Charger... any testing with that? I don't think my '13 Ram even has a shot for the radio to work properly.

Same issues. The 17 chargers use a new architecture.

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What apps did you lose because all mine are still fine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Indaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan to swipe a 2018 model Uconnect when I can and the matching media hub to see if I can make it work.. Android Auto will be a zillion times better than the junk we currently have.

And yes as mentioned.. the models for the charger do have different mounting points than what is currently used in a 13-17 ram.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I plan to swipe a 2018 model Uconnect when I can and the matching media hub to see if I can make it work.. Android Auto will be a zillion times better than the junk we currently have.

And yes as mentioned.. the models for the charger do have different mounting points than what is currently used in a 13-17 ram.

I'm pretty confident I can make it work, I just haven't been able to get my hands on an 18 radio yet.