2017 Audio Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, I searched around for this but couldn't find anything.

I just bought a 2017 1500 Laramie and I have to say I'm disappointed with the audio quality. I'm coming from a 2012 Big Horn w/ the Alpine package and I could crank that up as loud as it would go and it wouldn't clip at all.

I got the same package in the 2017 and it seems like it clips on the mid range / high signals constantly. It seems to only be coming from the left front speaker (the one thats right in front of my face), but when I move the balance/fade to the right front speaker it does the same thing.

Surely I didn't get two defective speakers in the same brand new truck? Is this the new norm? I would expect that a $53k truck, with premium audio, would sound better.

Any ideas? Is it worth bringing back to the dealer or should I just rip it out and install my own stuff? I'm an audiophile so its ******* me off good and proper.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having same problem. All my trucks had alpine, now I have base audio. Changed all speakers, added VSS sub=push garbage sound. Truck is having the radio replaced Monday just in case.

OP
OP
R

RamblinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So was your stock Alpine sound ******?

At first I thought it might be the bluetooth connection, so I switched it to my iPhone which, in the 12, had great sound, too. Same issues. So I tried the iPod plugged into the center console and same problem.

I'm pretty confident its the speakers or the head unit.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So was your stock Alpine sound ******?

At first I thought it might be the bluetooth connection, so I switched it to my iPhone which, in the 12, had great sound, too. Same issues. So I tried the iPod plugged into the center console and same problem.

I'm pretty confident its the speakers or the head unit.

Actually no. My 2015 BH with Alpine sounded pretty good to me. But when i switched to my '16 without the Alpine, the sound is PURE complete ****. This is with all new Kicker doors and the VSS sub. Pure ****.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sorry to hear (no pun) my 15 R/T Alpine system sounds absolutely banging, hope yours is banging in no time.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With you being an Audiophile like myself you will always be able to pick apart sub standard audio systems.... leave your head unit and amp in and change everything else. Just my 2 cents.

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
17 Larieme here, have cranked mine up many times, no issues with cracking or clipping sounds. Very happy with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As an SQ person, no way would I ever think any of Rams system are on par. Now with that being said there are several ways to improve upon it. It's just a matter of how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go lol. My SQ car is sound deadened within an inch of its life. Over the eight years that I've owned it, it's had over 29 redo. Not because it didn't sound as it was supposed to, it's just I always wanted to try new toys in it.

I was about to do the same to my Ram until I came to the realization that I hardly listen to music in it. When I do it's for my teenage daughters, and well that speaks for itself.

DRKNESS falls

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
These are the amps that were just removed from the SQ car.67e54400b3fc1fed0435125ae05db91b.jpg

DRKNESS falls

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Darkness....good looking Brax amps sir!
OP, if you are an audiophile (i compete in SQ) nothing about your factory Alpine system should satisfy you...and yes, these expensive trucks have crap for systems.
Obviously, if you send the entire signal to your front passenger dash speaker, it'll probably clip the signal at certain volumes. And, with fade/balance appropriately adjusted, you're probably getting a clipped signal at both dash speakers (the driver's side is more apparent cause it's right in your face) once you hit higher volumes. You can adjust or "EQ" your factory system all you want and it may clean up the sound a bit....but ultimately, your factory Alpine amp is filled with wonky pre-set DSP that cuts/boosts frequencies as the volume increases and it's solely to protect the speakers from being over-driven from volume happy truck owners. The factory Alpine amp makes pathetic power, sent to pathetic speakers, with pathetic pre-set DSP....the entire system is filled with distortion and clipped signals once you reach certain volume.
IF you want audiophile sound....Power & Speakers & DSP need to be replaced with more capable gear.....but you had better check to see if your factory HU produces and clean signal before you start adding aftermarket amp(s) and speakers.
Kinda why I went with base audio so I can use my Pioneer P99

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP---

Have your headunit replaced. It has made a huge difference in my truck. Although it's not exactly the sound I want, it has improved. Just FYI.

OP
OP
R

RamblinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey everyone,

I appreciate the feedback (no pun intended).

I'm going to bring it back in and see what they'll do for me. Right now, I could go the route of dropping a a grand or more into the audio to get it up to where I want it, but there are other things that are more important to me like leveling and running boards.

I'll just deal with being pissed off at the audio for a while longer.

Thanks again!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Darkness....good looking Brax amps sir!
OP, if you are an audiophile (i compete in SQ) nothing about your factory Alpine system should satisfy you...and yes, these expensive trucks have crap for systems.
Obviously, if you send the entire signal to your front passenger dash speaker, it'll probably clip the signal at certain volumes. And, with fade/balance appropriately adjusted, you're probably getting a clipped signal at both dash speakers (the driver's side is more apparent cause it's right in your face) once you hit higher volumes. You can adjust or "EQ" your factory system all you want and it may clean up the sound a bit....but ultimately, your factory Alpine amp is filled with wonky pre-set DSP that cuts/boosts frequencies as the volume increases and it's solely to protect the speakers from being over-driven from volume happy truck owners. The factory Alpine amp makes pathetic power, sent to pathetic speakers, with pathetic pre-set DSP....the entire system is filled with distortion and clipped signals once you reach certain volume.
IF you want audiophile sound....Power & Speakers & DSP need to be replaced with more capable gear.....but you had better check to see if your factory HU produces and clean signal before you start adding aftermarket amp(s) and speakers.
Kinda why I went with base audio so I can use my Pioneer P99

While I do respect your SQ passion - by no means is the Alpine system garbage. It still sounds better than half the cheap after-market stuff customers have us put in... and better than 90% of the factory systems I have heard. Nor does the normal system audibly clip or distort at any level. I think MHB has demonstrated that a few units are defective from the factory and this is probably his issue, or a defective speaker. While I think the system lacks volume, it does not lack punch, and at no point does it clip or distort, even maxed out on my **** mp3s.

I think it's safe to say if anyone wants audiophile sound - everything needs to be gutted and a few grand needs to be spent.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I do respect your SQ passion - by no means is the Alpine system garbage. It still sounds better than half the cheap after-market stuff customers have us put in... and better than 90% of the factory systems I have heard. Nor does the normal system audibly clip or distort at any level. I think MHB has demonstrated that a few units are defective from the factory and this is probably his issue, or a defective speaker. While I think the system lacks volume, it does not lack punch, and at no point does it clip or distort, even maxed out on my **** mp3s.

I think it's safe to say if anyone wants audiophile sound - everything needs to be gutted and a few grand needs to be spent.

Thanks bud....I can attest for a fact the radio was the issue. With the replacement installed, the music sounds much improved. It's not award worthy or anything, but better. The highs aren't all the place and the bass is now correctly increasing through the volume. Hope this helps.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I spent stupid money on my new 1990 Mustang GT sound system, have it done it again nope I would rather spend some decent money on the home theatre set up. Happy trails as David says.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey adrian89.....I agree with you on 90% of what you say except for gutting everything. I left the head unit and factory amp in. (8.4nav with alpine). It's only used to send the high level signal into the processor. Wanted to keep dash looking factory. SQ is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 44

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the new PAC interface life is much easier to keep the HU. I would be willing to bet you forgo the processing and use the processor as your volume control?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What's not shown is the Mosconi 6to8 v8 processor mounted underneath. High levels into the processor and 7 channels out to the amps. No interface ....plus I think the PAC piece only has 6 channels of output. 3way active up front, sub and rear speakers deleted.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I use to enter car audio contests in my younger years and to get something close to 2 grand may compete with the factory system for what you pay as an option on the alpine system would not even get you a head unit like the 8.4 unit