2017 Map Updates 8.4AN... unless you are Canadian?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can anybody shed some light on the map update? See the attached image. I went to purchase and saw the big red disclaimer. I called their support and was met with a bit of confusion followed by "I don't know".... so is there a reason us Canucks can't buy these updates?

I upgraded my Uconnect software to the required version. Support rattled on about the Over the Air updates for it, but I don't have OTA ability because Canada.

Any thoughts or insight? My maps are ridiculously old and I just got a ticket for using my tablet sitting in my console, so I need to get something more up to date for the truck.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 86

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rest of the world can't even get software update, let alone maps.......

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@RamCares- you kicking around these threads? The support team doesn't seem to have an answer.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just looked into this.Apparently you can download the newest software version to a USB drive[16 mb] and install to our trucks .

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes- I should have followed up on this post. After being passed around to a few different people I got the answer. Basically they need to fix the wording on the site is what they said. You have to be running 17.11.07 software (download and install from driveuconnect.ca) then you are eligable to buy the updated maps. The reason they say we can't up here (well- we can but the wording sucks) is due to the Over The Air updates which as far as I know do not work in Canada. For now anyways.

In a nutshell- download the 17.11.07, install, then order the maps and wait for the USB to show up.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did an update last yr on mine..Not an map update but software update...Dont have the details on the site but i found the how to on here...
Basically went to said site,posted my vin,got a download on a usb stick and plugged into my truck.....It downloaded ok but then my head unit went all freaky and died...Wasnt the d/l fault...

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes- I should have followed up on this post. After being passed around to a few different people I got the answer. Basically they need to fix the wording on the site is what they said. You have to be running 17.11.07 software (download and install from driveuconnect.ca) then you are eligable to buy the updated maps. The reason they say we can't up here (well- we can but the wording sucks) is due to the Over The Air updates which as far as I know do not work in Canada. For now anyways.

In a nutshell- download the 17.11.07, install, then order the maps and wait for the USB to show up.

Back when I upgraded headunits in previous trucks I used RA4 Canadian version in both. To do updates it had to be done via USB because it does not contain the aircard to make OTA possible. Now maybe it could be done somehow through SXM..?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I just upgraded my Canadian sold 14 Sport and I'll leave some thoughts.

-It will take about an hour to complete
-If you are formatting the USB stick, use fat32
-I couldn't find how to use the download manager so I just downloaded the file
-The file is a zip file and I couldn't get it to work after unzipping with the included opener
-Finally tried Win Opener and the opened file worked
-The instructions tell you to wait for the upgrade to finish, tell you to check the download is indicated on the screen then go through a couple of procedures of opening the door and wait etcetra. When mine finished the 14 upgrades the screen just went blank and there were no lights evident on the dash. Got worried, so I waited 10 minutes and got up the nerve to put the truck in acc mode. Everything came up as normal (WHEW!!!!) and worked fine.
-There is a major difference between the older and newer versions screen view with an apps button added and SiriusXM looks different.

Last edited:

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Downloaded the update.When i plug the USB drive in my computor ,it shows being on there.When i plug into the truck with it running,nothing.Not real computor savey.Any sugestions

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Downloaded the update.When i plug the USB drive in my computor ,it shows being on there.When i plug into the truck with it running,nothing.Not real computor savey.Any sugestions
Is this the map update or the head unit update?

If the latter- verify that you only see two files on the usb stick with your computer. If more it can cause issues. If you only see one, then you have to unzip the file you downloaded- unless you did the automated one on the site which uses akamai manager which is a complete monkey ****.

I was sleeping when I sent this...

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Used a new stick.Only the uconnect file shows on the stick.Did not use the Akaimi.When i open the file it shows swdl and swdl.upd files.I right click but cant see how to unzip them.Actually i thought when i sent the file from the computo r to the stick ,it was unzipped,but ?

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Used a new stick.Only the uconnect file shows on the stick.Did not use the Akaimi.When i open the file it shows swdl and swdl.upd files.I right click but cant see how to unzip them.Actually i thought when i sent the file from the computo r to the stick ,it was unzipped,but ?
Depending on your operating system.

You can right click the file (the original you downloaded) and tell it to "extract". Extract the 2 files straight to the usb- it should give you the extract all option. Once thats done, you can delete that original file so you only have the 2 files on the stick.

Here's a tutorial on that :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-zip-and-unzip-files-windows-10?amp

This is for windows 10, but the principle is the same across all versions.

Alternatively when you open that original file and see the two files in it, you can drag and drop them too.

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Will read the tutorial thanks.When i right click the file i donnot get any extract,only a "send to" list

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Will read the tutorial thanks.When i right click the file i donnot get any extract,only a "send to" list
Then just open it and the extract option should appear in the top bar of the window, or just drag and drop. Then you're golden as long as those 2 files are the only ones on the usb.

Brace yourself too. The update takes a loooong time. It may look like its doing nothing but it actually is. I would print off the instructions for yourself too.

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Finally figured out how to get the 2 files on the stick.Now just have to get up the nerve to plug it in

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I just picked up a 18 Laramie on Saturday and it has the 8.4 NAV and I asked the guy about updates to the maps etc. he said starting in 2018 they offer free map updates. Mine updated (about 30min) on its own in my driveway, not maps but new software. But he did state that the map updates are free now. My 18 does have LGLTE and WiFi tho etc so maybe thats why it can update anywhere at any time.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finally figured out how to get the 2 files on the stick.Now just have to get up the nerve to plug it in
Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time. I left my truck running so the unit power didn't time out. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be fine. Just keep in mind it takes a LONG time. It may look like it's doing nothing or frozen but it's actually working in the background. It will reboot itself a number of times too, don't pull the USB stick until it tells you to :)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk