2 way passive x-over question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of components that come with a 2-way passive x-over, I want to run 4 tweeters off the X-over. What is the correct way to hook them up? Do I wire both sets of tweeter wires to one tweeter terminal or do I run one wire set to one tweeter terminal and the other wire set to other tweeter terminal (-3db). I'm sure ohm load comes into play but I'm not sure of the relationship.

many years ago I ran the same setup and was very happy with the outcome I just can't remember how I did it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A passive crossover frequency is dependent on the ohm load attached to it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This.

On top of the fact it will just sound like crap, unless you are running dual mids or running the tweeters for a top end range (I know for sure this isn't the case, as you wouldn't be using passive, and is usually only used with HLCD)

Adding tweeters adds minimal volume and just makes the sound much more harsh.

The real question is - what is your goal?

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

hmm, thinking: man I'm getting old......maybe I ran the xtra tweets directly to the amp

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This.

On top of the fact it will just sound like crap, unless you are running dual mids or running the tweeters for a top end range (I know for sure this isn't the case, as you wouldn't be using passive, and is usually only used with HLCD)

Adding tweeters adds minimal volume and just makes the sound much more harsh.

The real question is - what is your goal?

Well, to have a bad a$$ car stereo with the parts I have. My thought process is to mount the 6.5 components in the door and because of the less than optimal tweeter position......an additional tweeter in the dash location would be of some benefit......

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What parts do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1x Sundown Audio SA-10 D2 Rev 2 - Sundown Audio 10" Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Sub (not installed)

Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono 800W amp (not installed)

Pioneer GM-D8604 Class FD 4-Channel 600W amp (not installed)

Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series Components (not installed)

Kicker KS 6x9's 2 way B-Pillar stock location (installed/stock HU power)

Kicker KS 3.5 2 way dash mounted stock location (installed/stock HU power)

Audio Control LC2i (not installed)

2x Audio Control LGD's (not installed)

XSPower Battery (installed)

Lots of sound deadening stuff and wiring stuff (not installed)

Old School Clifford alarm with Remote start (not installed)

Heavy a$$ subwoofer box I built/slot ported/tuned to 32hz (not installed)

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have pretty decent stuff and those components are great for their price point. I would put tweeters in the dash, bridge the components off the 4 channel and leave the kicker 6x9s powered off the head unit.

Crossover mounting is probably a concern for you.... I would put the crossovers behind the radio... run new wires for the tweeters (very easy) and grab the wires for the door Speakers from the output side of front speaker wires coming from the radio. You will have to cut these wires any ways for your signal.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have pretty decent stuff and those components are great for their price point. I would put tweeters in the dash, bridge the components off the 4 channel and leave the kicker 6x9s powered off the head unit.

Crossover mounting is probably a concern for you.... I would put the crossovers behind the radio... run new wires for the tweeters (very easy) and grab the wires for the door Speakers from the output side of front speaker wires coming from the radio. You will have to cut these wires any ways for your signal.

so ditch the 3.5's and run the pioneer tweets....in the stock crossover position or the -3db position? I was going to use the -3db position

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
100% ditch the 3.5s I would probably run at -3 as well since windshield reflection can be strong.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
100% ditch the 3.5s I would probably run at -3 as well since windshield reflection can be strong.

Ok I'll give it a shot and report back

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Maybe even run the passenger side at 0db and the drivers at -3db. Probably not, but it might be worth while.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
can you at least qualify that statement?

Indeed, tweeters (most speakers in general) are so much more efficient these days versus in years past, one set will be MORE than enough. And since you're running a passive system, your level adjustments will be next to nothing besides what's hard wired into your passives, and or amp gain. Once you get into higher end tweeters, manufacturers like to "match" their tweeters together....meaning they pair tweeters together that have similar frequency responses from the factory. I don't know, but I highly doubt Pioneer matches their tweeters at that model level (I could be wrong), then you add two more tweeters into the equation...and now you essentially have four tweeters with different frequency responses playing weird havoc on your ears...which you can not tune out do to limited tuning capabilities. Then you add the fact that one set of tweeters will be reflecting off the windshield....these little details is exactly what shows up as ear fatigue, harshness, which may not show up at lower db levels, but will get worse and worse as volume increases....simply stated, it makes the listening experience a little more bumpy and less fun.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running my left tweeter 2 db lower than the right (active) and it images nicely.

Hey TomT, thanks for the tip, left side = drivers side?

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Indeed, tweeters (most speakers in general) are so much more efficient these days versus in years past, one set will be MORE than enough. And since you're running a passive system, your level adjustments will be next to nothing besides what's hard wired into your passives, and or amp gain. Once you get into higher end tweeters, manufacturers like to "match" their tweeters together....meaning they pair tweeters together that have similar frequency responses from the factory. I don't know, but I highly doubt Pioneer matches their tweeters at that model level (I could be wrong), then you add two more tweeters into the equation...and now you essentially have four tweeters with different frequency responses playing weird havoc on your ears...which you can not tune out do to limited tuning capabilities. Then you add the fact that one set of tweeters will be reflecting off the windshield....these little details is exactly what shows up as ear fatigue, harshness, which may not show up at lower db levels, but will get worse and worse as volume increases....simply stated, it makes the listening experience a little more bumpy and less fun.

Very nice, thank you for taking a moment and explaining that. ok I'm convinced to try the one set of tweeters in the dash 3.5" speaker position and see how she goes. :favorites13:

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks for helping with some install advices brother, I appreciate the assist!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey TomT, thanks for the tip, left side = drivers side?

Correct, in my case the tweeters are in the sail panels, so even closer to my head. If you install the crossovers somewhere they are easily accessible, you should try it both ways (even and then driver's side lower) and see what sounds better to you. This is assuming your crossover has an option to lower the tweeter output.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam