5.0 (ra2) to 8.4an (ra4) upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm looking at the possibility of this just in case I get a new truck and it has the ra2 in it. Someone on"another place" on the internet said they did it and it showed pics. There were hundreds of posts so I didn't read the whole thread. Losing the automatic climate controls was the only issue. When I did a search on Google it brought up someone in this ram forum that said it is not possible. So I'm just trying to figure out the deal. I have been on here a while and trust the guys that I do know by name but that usually concerns different topics, not audio. I know ram and the dealer are probably going to say it can't be done because they want to make$. But once the unit is replaced according to the other place you just have to know vin that unit came from and get it Flashed at dealer.Thanks

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are fast as lightning. Thanks a lot. When i did a search last night I put in the google search bar this: "can i replace uconnect 5.0 with 8.4" and the very first link was for this forum. I only read the first 4 or 5 and it said it cant be done. So, there was some conflicting info. Thanks again

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You can replace it with the 8.4 but you'll need steering wheel controls to control the volume of the radio. You can retain the 5.0 bezel but a company called oem parts I think makes a replacement bezel to work with the 8.4. You cannot add a factory 8.4 bezel because the wiring between models are different and the plugs aren't the same.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
But once the unit is replaced according to the other place you just have to know vin that unit came from and get it Flashed at dealer.Thanks
You don't need the VIN from the donor truck you need the VIN from the truck it's going into and the serial number of the radio. The parts guy will get you an anti-theft code.
You enter the 4 digit code into the radio when it prompts and you're good to go.
You don't have to have anything flashed.