8.4 Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the error shown in the photo.

Took it to dealer (for something else... Right roof drip channel molding was coming off over back window)... they scratched their heads on this entire truck.

It's like the 2013 is a f'ing space ship to my dealer. I know more about it than they do and I just bought it last weekend.

I was about to do the 8.4a update and noticed in the directions that it says if you have the message in this photo...well, do what it says... don't update.

Anyone get an answer as to what this is yet? I'll start charging my dealer for informing them.

Attachments

• 8.4aError.jpg
    8.4aError.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 77

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
what is the 8.4a update?

Mulls1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunatley I'm not to sure aside from the fact that it says if that pops up it must be taken to the dealer to preform the update, sorry I couldn't help you anymore

OP
OP
KickToTheJunk

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took it to the dealer... They scratched their heads.

Wondering if anyone else has found a dealer that knew WTH it was so I could educate my dealer. It seems if my dealer doesn't know something, they just put their hands back into their cracks and scratch... Rather than do research and find answers.

This seems common.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 8.4A started doing this about 6-7 weeks ago intermittently, I figured the radio couldn't connect to the Sprint network while in my garage or something. Then about 4 weeks ago, it started showing up every time I started the truck. Also, the compass was out of whack and the apps button showed no signal.

I made an appointment for last Monday, the 25th. They're not familiar with the unit at all and kept my truck for 3 days stating its a U-Connect registration issue and that I need to re-register because my trial had expired (not even 2 months into owning the truck that I bought from that dealer). I also had them activate the navigation and they said they re-calibrated the compass and it was now fixed. When I picked my truck up, the map showed my location to be about 20 miles away, regardless of where I was, the map showed me to be in that exact same area. The compass was still off as well. The next morning, just to appease my dealer, I called U-Connect support and they told me it was not a registration error and to bring it back in to my dealer.

So I blew up at the dealer that I had to make 2 service appointments within 3500 miles and 2 months of owning their brand new truck and that they charged me $500 and didn't even bother to check if the navigation and compass worked when it was blatantly obvious it didn't. So I dropped it off this past Monday the 1st and the tech was on the phone with U-Connect and some other tech-support adviser and they finally decided to replace the head unit and compass module, as I told them from the get-go. They quoted me 3-4 days to get the new radio so hopefully I can pick my truck up this Friday.

I guess you'll just have to be persistent and have them call tech-support if they cannot realize that they may need to replace your head unit.

OP
OP
KickToTheJunk

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll just keep hitting "dismiss" or whatever to make the error go away each time I start it.

I'm glad they updated the interior of the ram.. It's what made me buy one.. But not happy they rolled out new technology w/o training their techs and service advisors first,

Just another shi7ty experience with a dodge. They will never get it right.

OP
OP
KickToTheJunk

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So.... Stone had success getting this fixed at the dealer yet?

My uconnect registration just sits here saying "please wait while..."

8.4a = good idea... Poorly executed.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So.... Stone had success getting this fixed at the dealer yet?

My uconnect registration just sits here saying "please wait while..."

8.4a = good idea... Poorly executed.

I assume you're asking me, and yes, after I picked it up that Friday, all is working well. That message no longer pops up at every ignition cycle, I get service for U-Connect even though there's nothing to really use it for, and the navigation works.

Maybe try taking it back to them or another local dealer. When I originally dropped it off to activate the navigation, they didn't know anything about the procedures, cost, etc. When they called me back a day later, they had done another one and were familiar so hopefully your dealer has learned a thing or two since.

OP
OP
KickToTheJunk

KickToTheJunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually. I typed in 'anyone' and my iPad changes words that make sense into words that don't.

My nearest other dealer is an hour drive. I have to take the wife's 300 in for a recall soon. I'll hit my local up again I guess. thanks for the reply.