8.4 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinsilk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Seen a thread about upgrading to a 8.4 from a 5.0 uconnect. Didnt think tjis was possible. Just want to know how "easy" this is before i go looking for a 8.4 unit.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seen a thread about upgrading to a 8.4 from a 5.0 uconnect. Didnt think tjis was possible. Just want to know how "easy" this is before i go looking for a 8.4 unit.

So read the thread...if you really want to know put in some effort and read the thread, in this section and the DIY...search!!!

Guys did all the work all you gotta do is read.

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still don't think there is a solid upgrade path. The bezel harness is different and I haven't tracked any of that info down yet. If you can live with the current limitations its almost plug and play. That's not good enough for me personally so I haven't bothered putting mine in yet. My other thread has more detail.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I still don't think there is a solid upgrade path. The bezel harness is different and I haven't tracked any of that info down yet. If you can live with the current limitations its almost plug and play. That's not good enough for me personally so I haven't bothered putting mine in yet. My other thread has more detail.
I hear ya. It's a cool mod but the unit is crippled. Its about 30-40% functional if you toss one in.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
some have just simply swapped the head units. the 8.4 will fit, but the rounded edges will cut a very tiny bit of the screen off. there is a company out there prototyping a new bezel right now.

here is the kicker if you use your current bezel there is no volume switch. the only one is the steering wheel controls. this prototype bezel has a switch on it for volume.

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
some have just simply swapped the head units. the 8.4 will fit, but the rounded edges will cut a very tiny bit of the screen off. there is a company out there prototyping a new bezel right now.

here is the kicker if you use your current bezel there is no volume switch. the only one is the steering wheel controls. this prototype bezel has a switch on it for volume.

I have heard this before. I'll hang on to mine and see where that goes. If they get it going I may go ahead and install it. I do wonder about the map updates though. Does anyone know how they will be applied? SD card? USB? Not all trucks have the disk player. 5.0 systems don't have the SD card port either.