8.4a Nav Activated Traffic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 with the 8.4a. As part of the purchase I had the dealer activate the Nav. The mapping works fine but I dont have any traffic info. Looking at the manual it seems there is no option for tmc (FM broadcast) or Sirius Traffic. Those are listed for the 8.4NAV (builtin) unit. Am I correct in this? Looking at previous year manuals it looks like you got tmc traffic with the 8.4a.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is my understanding that having the nav turned on at the dealer does not give you the ability to have the XM/Sirius traffic. It has to be the 8.4AN radio from the factory.

The tell tale, according to the owners manual, is the absence of the "HD" radio icon on the display when listening to terrestrial radio.

OP
OP
B

Brian_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is my understanding that having the nav turned on at the dealer does not give you the ability to have the XM/Sirius traffic. It has to be the 8.4AN radio from the factory.

The tell tale, according to the owners manual, is the absence of the "HD" radio icon on the display when listening to terrestrial radio.

I got that. I was wondering if there is a way to get tmc traffic? You know, the one most el cheapo gps units have? Seems like it used to be part of the 8.4a radio but no more?

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was not familiar with "tmc traffic" till I googled it. Sorry I can not be of any assistance.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You Sir have the RA3 8.4 A Radio , there are differences from the RA4 8.4 AN Radio .
The RA4 8.4 AN Radio has everything from the factory traffic , weather , HD , ect ect ...

Hope this helps !

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if those features are important to you, you either have to do the 8.4an upgrade or use a portable unit of a phone.