8.4A/RA3 to 8.4NA/RA4 worthwhile? My scenario

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Ok, lemme pose a scenario for consideration. I read through a couple of threads about the difference between the 8.4A and the 8.4AN. Essentially, 3D mapping, 16GB of storage and HD FM radio are the differences. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know if there's any validity to my thought process.

My reason for having a pickup is that my wife and I like to load a street bike (motorcycle) in the bed, head out to some destination and ride. So, we travel quite a bit and having the NAV in the dash gets the clutter off the dashboard. So my options are, activate the NAV on my 8.4A radio for $400 OR there are opportunities to get an 8.4AN for $700 then sell my 8.4A for $300. Leaving me at the same cash outlay.

As far as the HD radio, it's important, but, as the long term plan is to install the Kicker PRAMCQ13 with the DSP, I'm not so sure the HD broadcast is going to matter in the sound quality as the DSP, I think, will take over massaging the audio.

16GB of storage? Meh, I'm not going to be storing audio ON the radio and will play my own audio files from an SD card so I'm not sure this is gonna be a big issue for my use. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the need for the 16GB.

Here's the only thing making this discussion relevant, the 3D maps. To those that have it, or went from a NAV without it to a NAV with it, is a worthwhile option to have? On the one hand the convenience of simply activating the NAV, and being done with it, is nice. On the other, if the 3D mapping is far superior to the standard NAV then I don't mind the effort in swapping the radios.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I upgraded to a 16 RA4 VP4 in my 14 and I am very happy with it. The 15 and 16 radios have free Travel Link and Real Time Traffic for five years. In my case the navigation works great. It routs me around whatever opststical I tell it too. The HD Radio also works very well as long as you are in range. IMO upgrading is a good alternative since you already have the RA3 you can sell. I found my 16 for 320.00 but I got lucky. If you decide to do the upgrade make sure it's out of a Ram or a Cherokee and make sure it's a 15 or a 16. The 16 actually has more options than the 15. The 16 has auto do not disturb with auto text back if desired two additional screen themes a blue one plus a red one you can also set it to always start at the beginning of the song when you change the channels on XM radio.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
That's great info. Thank you...

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
From what I have read, the maps are outdated and are costly to get updated.

Why not just put a mount on the window or ac vent and put your phone there and use the maps on it?

I got the same offer to upgrade my 8.4 to the Nav for $400.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
"So, we travel quite a bit and having the NAV in the dash gets the clutter off the dashboard."

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with Rick. Swapped my 5.0 out for an 8.4 from a 2016. Free travel link and all that stuff is still active on it and for the price I couldn't beat it. 3D mapping is very nice as well. My Grand Caravan has 2D and it makes a world of difference IMO. I was able to sell my 5.0 for 250 so you should be able to recoup most of your money when you sell your original 8.4. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure what the "16 gig of storage" is since the 8.4 don't have a hard drive and you can't store music directly on the radio anymore....

As far as map updates, if you live somewhere like I do where they aren't building a million new roads every year then you'll be fine. I had NAV in my challenger that was 3 years old at least and never once ran into a problem.

I'd just upgrade the radio you have if it was me, cuz if you buy a NAV unit radio and don't get the VIN then you can't update the software (I don't think anyways). Plus you don't have the hassle of selling the old radio.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd just upgrade the radio you have if it was me, cuz if you buy a NAV unit radio and don't get the VIN then you can't update the software (I don't think anyways). Plus you don't have the hassle of selling the old radio.[/QUOTE]

You can still update your Firmware. All you need is a Vin# from a truck equipped with the radio you have. IMO if you were to give me the option of activating the nav on an RA3 or selling the RA3 and purchasing an RA4 for about the same amount it's a no-brainer the RA4 is it much better unit plus you will have Travel Link and Real-Time Traffic which no matter what anybody says comes in extremely handy. At least it does for me. Also for whatever reason when we transplant these radios in our trucks our voice texting still works without a Uconnect scription for some reason which is another nice feature. Also you can pay the $150 to update your Maps every couple of years if you chose to. I guess I am different but I don't mind paying $150 every couple of years if I want to update my maps just for the convenience of having the unit in my truck with no gadgets holding my phone in front of me and then getting phone calls and try and answer it and everything else I just prefer having my unit in my dash.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yeah, as a Garmin user I got spoiled with map updates a couple of times a year. For the convenience of being in the dash I don't mind updates every couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk