8.4AN Start Up Errors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have you tried to put an ammeter between the + cable and battery terminal? You could measure parasitic draw to see if is excessive. A quick Bing search says rouhly <30mA.

Yeah. That's was one of the first things I did. It draws around 35mA. It draws 2-4 amps for about 10 minutes after you wake it up though and it looks like that is what is dragging my voltage down.

I threw in my other battery and the voltage dips pretty far on it too until everything goes to sleep. So, I don't think there's a battery/draw issue after all. That's good because I don't have to worry about getting stranded or trying to diagnose it, but it means I'm back to square one with my radio issue.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Stepping away from the battery issue (or non-issue, as it were). I came out this morning and the radio was dead again. I pulled the negative battery cable for a second and then it was fine. What I noticed is that the radio came up on the same station and volume level I had it set to previously. It also booted quickly and I had the compass heading right away.

When the battery or radio are disconnected for a while it takes longer to boot, won't display the heading until the next key cycle, and reverts the volume, station, and equalizer settings. So, it's like the radio wasn't even unpowered long enough to actually power down. That makes it seem like the issue is possibly outside the radio itself.