911 Vehicle Phone - error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Picked my Rebel up last Monday. It was doing the "Vehicle Phone Needs Service". Red light on the mirror on. Started researching this and finding that its an unfortunate issue.

They delivered this vehicle to me in this condition. Was happening when I picked it up. Just wasn't aware that it was this serious. Thought it was because I wasn't subscribed to UConnect or something.

Went out to the truck this AM and its not happening today....so time will tell. Ugh...my 2014 Durango R/T never missed a beat and had no issues like this.

goldtr8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took it in and after sending the error logs to FCA the diagnosis is to replace the radio. Estimate is 2 plus weeks to get a new one.

I will find out if the navigation I just purchased will transfer over and if Sirius will transfer my lifetime subscription to the new radio.

So time will answer all.

I just got the truck back with the radio today after two days at the dealership. My concern with the Sirius subscription was a non event. However the GPS software that was purchased online was not installed in the new radio. Dealer tech did not realize it was not preflashed with this as an option code. So they needed another day to get it taken care of.

So far after a couple of hours of use it seems ok final results will take a few days of using the vehicle. I do believe that it is a failure inside of the radio that causes the issue and I am fairly sure that its temperature related. My theory is when sitting overnight in the cold everything if fine and works great. In the afternoon after sitting in the sun the errors happen and I am guessing that its a failed solder joint that separates when hot.

Plus the tech that worked on the truck was very clear to me that the error logs pointed to an internal radio error. So if you have the symptoms the cure may be in fact a new radio.

$100 bucks after the max care deductible.

goldtr8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked my Rebel up last Monday. It was doing the "Vehicle Phone Needs Service". Red light on the mirror on. Started researching this and finding that its an unfortunate issue.

They delivered this vehicle to me in this condition. Was happening when I picked it up. Just wasn't aware that it was this serious. Thought it was because I wasn't subscribed to UConnect or something.

Went out to the truck this AM and its not happening today....so time will tell. Ugh...my 2014 Durango R/T never missed a beat and had no issues like this.

It will come back and you will notice the 3G connection is failed and also if you have navigation no satellites and your clock will not keep time.

Get it in while there is some warranty and have them pull the codes from the radio and send to FCA with a Star case. I will bet you will get a new radio.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Rebel has about 400 miles on it...its going in this week just to have them check it. I'm sure they'll just order a new head unit. Just want to get this taken care of. Its sporadic at the moment...some times its there (red light on mirror) but the 3G and all apps and NAV seem to work. I'm sure if I let it go it would get worse.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Rebel has about 400 miles on it...its going in this week just to have them check it. I'm sure they'll just order a new head unit. Just want to get this taken care of. Its sporadic at the moment...some times its there (red light on mirror) but the 3G and all apps and NAV seem to work. I'm sure if I let it go it would get worse.
Sounds like a bad antenna connection , the antenna itself or the coax cable ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk