activating DRLs in a USA built Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is my first post, I am in the process of buying a 2014 Ram 3500 CTD Laramie, it will be bought in the USA, but will need to be brought back to Canada within the year, when I ordered this truck the dealership assured me that the DRL (day time running lights) could be turned on when the truck was delivered to the dealership, but now that the truck is here they are telling me that it cant be done, only fleet vehicles are equipped with the electrical wiring for DRLs in the USA. but maybe I could find an after market system to make the DRLs work. I'm under the impression that all that is needed is a DRL module but not sure if the wiring harness that the module needs is even in the truck. Does anyone know if they can be activated or not and if not what if anything can you do to make the system work as it is mandatory in Canada to have DRLs. Truck is at the dealership but I won't pick it up till this mess is sorted out. Thanks for any help

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I don't know if it is possible to turn urs on or not, but if it isn't, then you can either turn the switch every time you get in truck (not being a smarta$$), OR, a better, easier idea is to maybe put some black tape over the sensor that tells it it is daylight/dark outside? I know that is kinda ghetto, but it has got to be a lot cheaper than an aftermarket system. Good luck! On edit: maybe the dealer can just bypass the sensor or wire it directly?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Or plastidip that lil sensor. Nobody would ever know

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not mandatory in Canada for your personal vehicle,only if you are a manufacture'r.
My company GM 3/4 van doesn't have DRL's
My old toy 68 Camaro/74 AMC Hornet don't have DRL"s,and they're perfectly fine.
Who told you it's mandatory?

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In NB your fail safety inspection if you don't have drl's.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you get a 85 Camaro for example,passed inspection then,they're still legal to drive.
Who's telling you that?
It'll be used by the time it's back in Canada,if he's driving it,it's not a new vehicle by then.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
It's not mandatory in Canada for your personal vehicle,only if you are a manufacture'r.
My company GM 3/4 van doesn't have DRL's
My old toy 68 Camaro/74 AMC Hornet don't have DRL"s,and they're perfectly fine.
Who told you it's mandatory?

It has been mandatory for all cars built after 1990 to have DRLs if they are registered in Canada, your 68 and 74 would be exempt, as for the work van if is built after 1990, and is registered in Canada and does not have DRLs it is illegal.

"quote" Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires DRLs on all new vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How do you get a 85 Camaro for example,passed inspection then,they're still legal to drive.
Who's telling you that?
It'll be used by the time it's back in Canada,if he's driving it,it's not a new vehicle by then.

Brothers a licensed mechanic.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/...rivers_vehicles/driverhandbook/DH_part3_e.pdf

"Daytime Running Lights
Beginning with the model year 1990 all new vehicles must
be equipped with daytime running lights which activate
automatically. A vehicle using these lights is more easily seen by
other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.
Older vehicles may be modified to produce automatic daytime
running lights.
If your vehicle is not equipped with daytime running lights, it is
suggested that you use your headlights at all times"

That ones from the drivers handbook (used to get your license)

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/ps-sp/pdf/Publications/ovism-e.pdf

REJECT VEHICLE IF:
"9. Daytime running lamps fail to illuminate
with engine running."

Thats straight out of the Mechanics guide. So if the DRL's do not illuminate when engine running the vehicle fails safety inspection..

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
if they can't figure it out..........

send 12v to pin 4 on your headlight connector. That will fire up the ambers........

But, it should be as simple as coding it in the computer. Can't believe a dealer doesn't know that.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
The dealer is telling me they tried to recode the computer but it wont work what I did find out was that Canadian 3500 ram are made in the same plant in Mexico as the US versions, I might have to have the truck built again in Mexico, this time have the plant install the Canadian wire harness so the DRLs will work, not sure if this can be done this way or not but without DRLs the truck is useless to me when I try and take it back to Canada if a couple of years.

If anyone else has any idea please let me know

Thank you everyone for your help

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The dealer is telling me they tried to recode the computer but it wont work what I did find out was that Canadian 3500 ram are made in the same plant in Mexico as the US versions, I might have to have the truck built again in Mexico, this time have the plant install the Canadian wire harness so the DRLs will work, not sure if this can be done this way or not but without DRLs the truck is useless to me when I try and take it back to Canada if a couple of years.

If anyone else has any idea please let me know

Thank you everyone for your help

Wire in some lower fog lights. To work off a power source that turns on when the trucks on.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
JJ has some LED lights that he put on the front of his truck. They are wired up like DRLs I believe. I actually bought some and use them as aux backup lights. Same thing. His look like factory. Otherwise, just turn the lights on. Or cover the sensor to make the lights come on. The truck isn't useless. Just not as user friendly that's all. Or at least find a different dealer!!

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
JJ has some LED lights that he put on the front of his truck. They are wired up like DRLs I believe. I actually bought some and use them as aux backup lights. Same thing. His look like factory. Otherwise, just turn the lights on. Or cover the sensor to make the lights come on. The truck isn't useless. Just not as user friendly that's all. Or at least find a different dealer!!

"Useless" may be harsh but this truck unless it has dedicated day time running lights it cannot be imported into Canada, making it a $60 000 mistake. NO Factory DRLs no import into Canada, covering up the auto sensor or adding aftermarket lights will not pass inspection in Canada when the truck goes through to mandatory RIV inspection upon entry in to Canada. If it doesn't pass the inspection within 30 days of arrival into Canada at an authorized RIV inspection center, the owners risks fines and the vehicle must of exported immediately.

the information I need is has anyone heard of or had the factory DRLs system installed or activated in a US manufactured Ram truck. does a US built ram have the wiring harness required to install a DRL module or can it be installed by the dealership?

I viewed the DRLs installed link looks great but not legal in Canada must be your headlights not the ambers and they have to be dedicated not able to be turned of if the vehicle is running.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
everything I've read is that its a simple Starscan update. 20 minutes, update the computer with the DRL code and done. Its not wiring, its all computer controlled.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank you for your response I truly hope you are correct, as I really don't want to wait for this truck to be built again. I don't want to have to wait another 2 months for my toy.

I will let everyone know what happens in the next few days.

thanks again

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I highly doubt my work van is illegal,was bought brand new at a Calgary GM dealer,been registering it for a couple years,and have never had any problems in respect to it being illegal.
It turns on only the park/signal lights,no headlights.
If your new truck turns on the park lights,i think that qualifies

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I highly doubt my work van is illegal,was bought brand new at a Calgary GM dealer,been registering it for a couple years,and have never had any problems in respect to it being illegal.
It turns on only the park/signal lights,no headlights.
If your new truck turns on the park lights,i think that qualifies

Very interesting Hornet, It may be legal for the running light to come on as Daytime running lights, not sure about that one. So according to this statement your van does have "DRLs"

All I can tell you is that DRLs are law in Canada and without them you can't buy, import or register a vehicle built after Jan 1 1990.
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Modification and Inspection Requirements

This link shows requirements from the Canadian Government for any imported vehicles to meet Canadian Standards

With all that said this new truck has no lights either headlight or running lights that come on dedicated so it doesn't meet Canadian import requirements, hopefully RAM can fix this or order me a new truck with the system activated so I can enjoy what I think is the best truck built today.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Licensed mechanic said for NB vehicle inspection the vehicle will fail if "when the vehicle is started the headlights do not automatically come on" this could be aftermarket ones in the lower bumper, behind the grill etc that come on, but there must be a working set of headlights "DRL" that come on.
No matter what the age of the vehicle.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Licensed mechanic said for NB vehicle inspection the vehicle will fail if "when the vehicle is started the headlights do not automatically come on" this could be aftermarket ones in the lower bumper, behind the grill etc that come on, but there must be a working set of headlights "DRL" that come on.
No matter what the age of the vehicle.

So if this is correct I could add aftermarket lights behind the grill or to the bumper and make it legal??? great news, but I will try and get the dealership to make the proper DRLs function as that was part of the purchase agreement.