Add single DIN radio to 8.4AN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive been disappointed since ive installed my stereo system in my truck. I know they are good components, but the signal from the 8.4AN is a mess; its boosted in some areas, attenuated in others, dont like the crossover points, etc. I cant seem to get a good signal from this thing, and it doesnt appear that there is a direct replacement that has all the functionality of the 8.4AN. Im debating adding a single DIN stereo to my truck, in addition to the stock radio.

All the music would come from this added unit, and would only need to utilize the steering wheel buttons. I would much rather not go this route, but have had better sound with lesser equipment in the past.

What are some of your thoughts? Has anyone seen this done before? Are there better alternatives?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You have 2 options. You can add a crossover (I don't know what the majority have been using, someone will chime in) or replace the 8.4 and go aftermarket. Alpine has a 8" and 9" radio replacement kit but is in the 3k price range or you can go with a 7" either alpine or Kenwood unit with the idata link maestro rr and ch3 harness and retain all the functions of the 8.4.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have 2 options. You can add a crossover (I don't know what the majority have been using, someone will chime in) or replace the 8.4 and go aftermarket. Alpine has a 8" and 9" radio replacement kit but is in the 3k price range or you can go with a 7" either alpine or Kenwood unit with the idata link maestro rr and ch3 harness and retain all the functions of the 8.4.

De-eq'ing the factory signal is the biggest issue. As far as the Alpine solutions, I would actually spend the $3k if it didnt state "not compatable with factory equipped 8.4 screen models".

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If you look at the idata link maestro (I don't know if they are part of the Alpine kits) they are compatible with the 8.4 and work with alpine and Kenwood

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the stock system? Is it the Alpine? I am running the 8.4A head unit (non-alpine) and it is one of the best factory sounding head units I've used. If it is the non-alpine system, get a DSP. If it is the Alpine setup, get a nice double din head unit and the maestro interface.

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the stock system? Is it the Alpine? I am running the 8.4A head unit (non-alpine) and it is one of the best factory sounding head units I've used. If it is the non-alpine system, get a DSP. If it is the Alpine setup, get a nice double din head unit and the maestro interface.

Stock system is Alpine 8.4AN. I wish I didnt have the Alpine system. Are you suggesting using the double din in place of the stock unit (removing stock alpine) or using it in addition to it?

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stock system is Alpine 8.4AN. I wish I didnt have the Alpine system. Are you suggesting using the double din in place of the stock unit (removing stock alpine) or using it in addition to it?
Since you have the Alpine, I am suggesting replacing it with a new HU. The Alpine system has an amp with xovers (as you most likely know) that just don't play nice when adding amps and speakers.

You could try combining all of the signals with a DSP but it would most likely also require knocking down the signals with another device since it's already amped. With that, who knows what types of issues you will encounter. It would just be easier to go with a new HU and new wiring if you have not already installed new wiring for the speakers. The new HU, depending on the unit you go with can handle all of the xover duties and even time alignment and give you the best sound you'd ever want.

There is a member on this forum who had added an alternate source, much like your idea of a 2nd head unit so it can be done but I would think that brings its own nuances when you just want to get in, drive and listen.

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you have the Alpine, I am suggesting replacing it with a new HU. The Alpine system has an amp with xovers (as you most likely know) that just don't play nice when adding amps and speakers.

You could try combining all of the signals with a DSP but it would most likely also require knocking down the signals with another device since it's already amped. With that, who knows what types of issues you will encounter. It would just be easier to go with a new HU and new wiring if you have not already installed new wiring for the speakers. The new HU, depending on the unit you go with can handle all of the xover duties and even time alignment and give you the best sound you'd ever want.

There is a member on this forum who had added an alternate source, much like your idea of a 2nd head unit so it can be done but I would think that brings its own nuances when you just want to get in, drive and listen.

Is there a list of units that will do all of the functions that my stock radio do, such as climate control, heated/cooled seat control, nav, etc?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Is there a list of units that will do all of the functions that my stock radio do, such as climate control, heated/cooled seat control, nav, etc?
Go to the idata link website. It has a list of compatible units for the maestro. These units along with the idata link maestro will retain and allow you to access and make changes through the head unit to all functions controlled by the 8.4

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

kenwood for sure, i believe alpine also. there are others out there that can work also.

if you got a good DSP trust me you could make it so you are blown away with the factory unit even as it is alpine.

jlchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
kenwood for sure, i believe alpine also. there are others out there that can work also.

if you got a good DSP trust me you could make it so you are blown away with the factory unit even as it is alpine.

JL Audio makes a nice unit to sum up to 8 channels and give an analog or digital signal out. It is what I am running now and even the stereo shop was suprised by the sound. It also has a auto DSP built into it and if you want more you add their second module for a true dsp on 8 channles.

Look at the FiX -82 for channel summing and the TwK88 or twKD8 for the true dsp.

I went the kenwood and maestro route and had 2 months of headache. Pulled it out and threw it in the trash. It is crap. Search my name for other posts about the issues I was having with the EVIC lights staying on and draining my battery. Left me stranded several times.

I found the problem in the Maestro and even identified the wire keeping the evic lights on by splicing a switch in line. Maestro told me the problem wasn't with their firmware or harness and it was my truck causing the problem.

Put my 8.4 back in and I havne't had a single problem in over 2 months now.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JL Audio makes a nice unit to sum up to 8 channels and give an analog or digital signal out. It is what I am running now and even the stereo shop was suprised by the sound. It also has a auto DSP built into it and if you want more you add their second module for a true dsp on 8 channles.

Look at the FiX -82 for channel summing and the TwK88 or twKD8 for the true dsp.

I went the kenwood and maestro route and had 2 months of headache. Pulled it out and threw it in the trash. It is crap. Search my name for other posts about the issues I was having with the EVIC lights staying on and draining my battery. Left me stranded several times.

I found the problem in the Maestro and even identified the wire keeping the evic lights on by splicing a switch in line. Maestro told me the problem wasn't with their firmware or harness and it was my truck causing the problem.

Put my 8.4 back in and I havne't had a single problem in over 2 months now.
Are you summing an Alpine system? I've heard about the Fix and was curious if that would be the solution.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is not the alpine system, but the FiX has enough inputs to handle most of the speakers for the alpine.

I was looking at it, I am impressed that it knows how to fix factory time alignment. Definitely looks like a nice a solution with 8 inputs and the ability to take 30V. That would get the job done for sure. A little pricey but audio guys don't seem to mind price too much ;).

I would try it 14RamMan. Buy it from Crutchfield, if you don't like it, easy returns.