Adding aftermarket amp, have some questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab Lone Star with the 8.4A HU and standard 6 speaker sound system.

I want to add my Audio Control LCQ-1 LOC and NVX 900.5 amp.

Plans are to replace stock speakers, add EQ LOC and amp. Maybe a sub later. Nothing crazy, been there don't that, lost the trophies during moves over the years.

Doing some searching around, I have read that there might be an amp, there might not be one. Any confirmation on this?

Wiring diagram for the speakers? Wiring colors and polarity is what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab Lone Star with the 8.4A HU and standard 6 speaker sound system.

I want to add my Audio Control LCQ-1 LOC and NVX 900.5 amp.

Plans are to replace stock speakers, add EQ LOC and amp. Maybe a sub later. Nothing crazy, been there don't that, lost the trophies during moves over the years.

Doing some searching around, I have read that there might be an amp, there might not be one. Any confirmation on this?

Wiring diagram for the speakers? Wiring colors and polarity is what I am looking for.

Don't take this as gospel.. I have a 2015 6 speaker 8.4AN (NON ALPINE) There is no amp.

When in doubt.... call Crutchfield... 90% of their employees know WTF they're talking about.... at least in my experience.

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Don't take this as gospel.. I have a 2015 6 speaker 8.4AN (NON ALPINE) There is no amp.

When in doubt.... call Crutchfield... 90% of their employees know WTF they're talking about.... at least in my experience.

Didn't think I could call Crutchfield if I didn't buy the products from them.

So I can access the speaker wires from behind the HU?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know on the 5.0 system you need to add resistors going into a LOC to get signal. i believe this is also the case with the 8.4, but may be wrong.

If you dont add the resistors on the 5.0 the factory head wont put out sound.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I thought they were all 6x9 in the doors, but I don't know for sure.

Take a look at this rather long thread as I know it's in there and post over there...

New Audio Upgrades from Kicker

There is a Mopar kicker speaker upgrade kit for the doors (and a sub kit) that is supposed to be fairly good. Graygoose seems to be the go to guy over there and has some connections with the Kicker folks. He will likely be able to verify most audio stuff for you.

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I thought they were all 6x9 in the doors, but I don't know for sure.

Take a look at this rather long thread as I know it's in there and post over there...

New Audio Upgrades from Kicker

There is a Mopar kicker speaker upgrade kit for the doors (and a sub kit) that is supposed to be fairly good. Graygoose seems to be the go to guy over there and has some connections with the Kicker folks. He will likely be able to verify most audio stuff for you.

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

Thanks for the help.

That sub looks like the Shelby Kicker upgrade I did in my '12 Mustang GT. Was not impressed with it for the money.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the help.

That sub looks like the Shelby Kicker upgrade I did in my '12 Mustang GT. Was not impressed with it for the money.

I could see that. The posts in that thread sound like the kicker sub is supposedly a noticeable improvement over the factory Alpine sub (and no sub at all), but if you are planning on a 900.5 amp, I bet you have other ideas in mind on a 'minimum' upgrade.
Other than upgrading from the 5.0 to the 8.4AN, I am still stock.

There was a forum member (jeepguy1980) who used some of the factory wiring for his subs. I grabbed a copy of his picture/post before he passed, not sure if it will be of use to you...
Edit: He had the Factory Alpine Amp/speaker setup

Attachments

• SubWiring_RCA.jpg
    SubWiring_RCA.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I am looking to upgrade the speakers, add the LCQ-1, and the amp. Then fiberglass my own box under the rear seat with an 8" or 10".

Its not my first rodeo with car audio, I just didn't want to pul the new truck apart to go looking for the OEM amp, then find out it did not have one.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am looking to upgrade the speakers, add the LCQ-1, and the amp. Then fiberglass my own box under the rear seat with an 8" or 10".

Its not my first rodeo with car audio, I just didn't want to pul the new truck apart to go looking for the OEM amp, then find out it did not have one.

Sounds good. Will be looking for picture updates of your setup!