Adding Homelink to 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally got busy on adding the Homelink Module to my already self installed Overhead Console. I got the unit to light up and had the dealership add the code for it to talk to the VIC. The module still does not work and the tech at the dealership stated that something on his equipment will not allow him to make the BCM to "SET" the proper code. I contacted the WIC and got basically the runaround about adding the sales code and then re flashing. i reached out to a dealership in Ala that I know has had luck doing this in the past and was told since Fiat took over Chrysler they have not been accepting any requests for accessories installed with anything but Chrysler parts and done by Chrysler techs. He was going to try and see what he can do but if this is true it certainly puts the damper on any future upgrades..

abbttb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thats strange that your having this problem. I have a 2016 Tradesman 2500 and I installed the homelink module in mine and it was plug and play. The truck recognized it immediately and it works flawlessly. I did not have to have the dealer add a sales code for it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats strange that your having this problem. I have a 2016 Tradesman 2500 and I installed the homelink module in mine and it was plug and play. The truck recognized it immediately and it works flawlessly. I did not have to have the dealer add a sales code for it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The module will not transmit for some unkown reason? It talks, it lights up it just wont transmit. I guess it could be the unit itself but?? Just not sure at this point. Also, I installed the Overhead console and then added the Homelink so those sales codes are not in my BCM evidently?

Last edited:

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The module will not transmit for some unkown reason? It talks, it lights up it just wont transmit. I guess it could be the unit itself but?? Just not sure at this point. Also, I installed the Overhead console and then added the Homelink so those sales codes are not in my BCM evidently?

What do you mean by "it talks"? When I first got mine and installed it, it didn't work, but I noticed in some of the videos that there was a message on the EVIC when clearing codes, transmitting, etc. I realized this wasn't happening on mine, so I reseated the connector and everything worked as it should with no code needed.

My vehicle is a 2015 Tradesman that did not originally come with the homelink module.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have added the Homelink to a 14 Express that originally came with the RA1 and no overhead. We took it to the dealer and added the CV2 sales code and the commands showed up in the EVIC and it worked fine. Your Homelink should work as long as it has power going to it. When you tested it are you sure you tryed to program it to your garage door correctly? A lot of these new garage door openers have rolling codes and you have to program them a certain way. You might want to check You Tube and see if you have a garage door with the rolling code and try to program it again. If it isn't showing transmit when you push the button make sure they installed the CV2 sales code and I belive the other code we installed was CUN but it was a couple of years ago. Also is your Homelink from a 13 or newer? If not that may be your problem. Lastly you may have gotten a bad unit. Does it say training when you push the buttons?

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It might be a good idea for him to post the PN of the Homelink module he's using in case he has a 2009-2012 version.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, the unit I purchased is a 68105822AB.
When I say it's talking what I'm saying is, the EVIC displays "Clearing Codes" and also displays "Training" but never says trained. When the tech attempted to add the sales code CV2, his unit stat d that the code was not "Set"? The tech tested the module to see f it was transmitting and got nothing, the handheld unit from my Genie pegged the meter? I suppose it could be a bad unit but the fact that the programmer the tech used kept getting a warning that the sales code was not "Set" causes me some concern. I do have a rolling code system and I've followed the video and even called homelink and worked with them but if it's not transmitting it will never work. I may try another unit and see if that changes anything but it will have to wait till I get off the road later this week. I'm also working with a service manager to get the sales code added to the build sheet but I don't have high hopes now that FIAT has locked down on this sort of thing.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have added the Homelink to a 14 Express that originally came with the RA1 and no overhead. We took it to the dealer and added the CV2 sales code and the commands showed up in the EVIC and it worked fine. Your Homelink should work as long as it has power going to it. When you tested it are you sure you tryed to program it to your garage door correctly? A lot of these new garage door openers have rolling codes and you have to program them a certain way. You might want to check You Tube and see if you have a garage door with the rolling code and try to program it again. If it isn't showing transmit when you push the button make sure they installed the CV2 sales code and I belive the other code we installed was CUN but it was a couple of years ago. Also is your Homelink from a 13 or newer? If not that may be your problem. Lastly you may have gotten a bad unit. Does it say training when you push the buttons?

Dude I followed everything you posted to a T even though your truck s 2014 and mine is a 15. Wire color code was completely different but the pin outs on the green connector behind the headlight switch were the same. The Homelink module never lit up until I connected to the Linbus. I don't think the unit is faulty because it is communicating with the EVIC, just not transmitting?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude I followed everything you posted to a T even though your truck s 2014 and mine is a 15. Wire color code was completely different but the pin outs on the green connector behind the headlight switch were the same. The Homelink module never lit up until I connected to the Linbus. I don't think the unit is faulty because it is communicating with the EVIC, just not transmitting?

I don't mean to be redundant so I apologize that I keep asking the same questions. When you say it's communicating with the evic what is it saying when you push the buttons? Also if you have power to the homelink it should work no matter what. The Homelink actually works even if the truck is not turned on you don't even have to have the key in the ignition it's basically a garage door opener.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't mean to be redundant so I apologize that I keep asking the same questions. When you say it's communicating with the evic what is it saying when you push the buttons? Also if you have power to the homelink it should work no matter what. The Homelink actually works even if the truck is not turned on you don't even have to have the key in the ignition it's basically a garage door opener.

No worries man, when the buttons are pressed the EVIC will display either that's it's transmitting or deleting codes depending on what your pressing, one or two buttons. Also, I'm not sure this only on the 2015's and up but from what I was told the Homelink will not work if the truck has been locked with the remote which activates the alarm, that signal comes from the BCM thru the Linbus I think? I'll check for power when I get a chance but like I said, why would it be talking to the EVIC or the buttons even light up if it didn't have power?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since your truck is an Express you do not have the factory alarm. Your truck is immobilized when you lock it with the key fob but no alarm will sound if anybody opens the door or breaks in. I got in my truck and locked it with the Fob. I waited for everything to shut down and pushed the Homelink and it worked. I then opened the door to simulate someone breaking in and the Homelink still worked. I also noticed that most of the time when I pushed the buttins the EVIC wole up and said transmitting. I have never heard of the Homelink being controlled by the alarm so I think the information you got was inaccurate. My truck originally came with the RA2 radio with the overhead console so my Homelink was a plug-in play. The CV2 code is already present in RA2 equipped trucks. The truck that we added the overhead console to that originally had the RA1 with no overhead has been traded for a 2500 so I don't have it for reference anymore. On that truck we got a harness from a truck that had a leaking 3rd brake light and needed a new headliner. We basically cut the hole for the overhead and mounted it and plugged in the harness took it to the dealer and added the code and it worked perfectly. I honestly think the Homelink would have worked before we even added the code it just would have not shown up in the EVIC. The buttons on the Homelink are not supposed to illuminate when you push them (at least mine don't). The only time the buttons on my Homelink illuminate is when my dash lights are on or I lock and unlock the truck and the lights flash. I have not heard of any differences in the wiring between the 13 and up trucks they are all pretty much Universal. Unfortunately I do not have the schematic for the Homelink but I believe the three wires going to it are Red, Black and another one that is primarily Orange. If you can get ahold of schematic I would double check your wiring to make sure it's correct if everything seems to be okay I honestly would try another Homelink module if I were you.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry if this was already posted - I may have missed it.

Are you programming the door opener using the handheld remote that came with the door opener, or are you using the button on the actual door opener (up on the ceiling where the motor is)?

Mine acted exactly like yours at first. I even followed the Homelink programming video from Ram on Youtube. I then discovered that this method only works for some door openers. I then followed the directions that came with the actual door opener and it worked (pressing the learn button on the actual door opener and then holding the homelink button).

You may have already tried it both ways, but just want to eliminate everything. Homelink really doesn't require the bus to function. Only to display the messages on the EVIC. It is simply a 12V transmitter. I actually bought one from a Honda Accord off of Ebay and hooked it up in my old Silverado with no issues. Only needed a 12V connection.

ramcpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Since your truck is an Express you do not have the factory alarm. Your truck is immobilized when you lock it with the key fob but no alarm will sound if anybody opens the door or breaks in. I got in my truck and locked it with the Fob. I waited for everything to shut down and pushed the Homelink and it worked. I then opened the door to simulate someone breaking in and the Homelink still worked. I also noticed that most of the time when I pushed the buttins the EVIC wole up and said transmitting. I have never heard of the Homelink being controlled by the alarm so I think the information you got was inaccurate. My truck originally came with the RA2 radio with the overhead console so my Homelink was a plug-in play. The CV2 code is already present in RA2 equipped trucks. The truck that we added the overhead console to that originally had the RA1 with no overhead has been traded for a 2500 so I don't have it for reference anymore. On that truck we got a harness from a truck that had a leaking 3rd brake light and needed a new headliner. We basically cut the hole for the overhead and mounted it and plugged in the harness took it to the dealer and added the code and it worked perfectly. I honestly think the Homelink would have worked before we even added the code it just would have not shown up in the EVIC. The buttons on the Homelink are not supposed to illuminate when you push them (at least mine don't). The only time the buttons on my Homelink illuminate is when my dash lights are on or I lock and unlock the truck and the lights flash. I have not heard of any differences in the wiring between the 13 and up trucks they are all pretty much Universal. Unfortunately I do not have the schematic for the Homelink but I believe the three wires going to it are Red, Black and another one that is primarily Orange. If you can get ahold of schematic I would double check your wiring to make sure it's correct if everything seems to be okay I honestly would try another Homelink module if I were you.

I also have a '14 express with ra2 and the compass module (I think that's what it is) in my overhead - was yours entirely plug and play to add the homelink module? Was there a harness plug hanging out up there or does it use the same plug as the compass module?

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ricks Ram, my truck came with the RA1 and no over head console. I bought a basic overhead console and wiring kit. I used schematics and diagrams I found on here of 14's and other year 1500 and 2500's to wire in the overhead. I ran from the overhead down to the green connector behind the headlight switch in the dash just like other years did. There is a keyed hot and a constant hot as well as a ground to the console lights, no Linbus. The compass or the compass/Homelink as it was explained to me need the Linbus to operate which makes sense if the alarm or vehicle imobilizer or whatever is connected to that key fob needs to be off or inactive for the Homelink to work?
One thing you said stands out to me though, I kept reading about the Homelink switches lighting up and that that needed to happen for it to work. My lbuttons are on all the time and have been since I tapped what I thought was the Linbus? I'm out of town right now and don't have a meter with me so I can't check for power on pins 1 and 2 to the Homelink, I might have a cold solder joint or maybe I nicked something going up with the console?? I'll update by Friday since I should know by then what's up, or not.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also have a '14 express with ra2 and the compass module (I think that's what it is) in my overhead - was yours entirely plug and play to add the homelink module? Was there a harness plug hanging out up there or does it use the same plug as the compass module?

It would've used the same plug if it had come with the truck from the factory. The factory plug is a 4 pin type with #1 is +, #2 Gnd, #3 Linbus and 4 is of used as far as I can tell. The + that lands on pin 1 is constant hot which is why the transmitter works all the time. The wires to it are red/bulk/or in that order.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chased my wires and checked for and got 12vdc on pins 1 and 2 of the plug for the Homelink module so I guess it's back to the dealership tomorrow to get another Homelink.
Ricksram - my truck came with the RA1 and I added the RA2. I never had the dealer add any codes for the radio swap, should I have? Could that be why the code for the Homelink won't "set"?? Still not sure if my Homelink buttons aren't lit up all the time but will check tomorrow.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update, replaced transmitter module today and works like a charm. Programmed on the first attempt. Guess I should've known something was wrong when the button lights were on all the time?

Thanks to all who helped on this.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update, replaced transmitter module today and works like a charm. Programmed on the first attempt. Guess I should've known something was wrong when the button lights were on all the time?

Thanks to all who helped on this.

That's great! Glad you got it figured out.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm sorry I didn't notice your question before. Yes all the wiring is present and the CV2 code is already activated if your truck already has the RA2 with the overhead. You will unplug the Compass Module and the plug in your Homelink/Compass module and your done.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update, module started working intermittently and now doesn't work at all. None of the buttons light up at any time. I chased all the wiring and couldn't find anything wrong but didn't have time to check for voltage yet. Is this part number (68105822AB) the correct one for a 2015 and up?