Adding subs to stock radio system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this has been covered before. I want to add some subs under my rear seat. I don't want to have to change the the stock radio. How can I add in the rca out to the amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a Line Out Converter, type that in amazon, ebay, google, best buy, and so on. As well depending on the amp it might have what are called high level inputs. These use signal directly from the speaker wires already in your truck with nothing in between. So check your amp first.

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amp has both but I was planning on using the low end connection. Only worry I have with using a line out converter is controlling the subs independently from the door speakers. I like to turn the bass all the way down in those to let the sub do all the heavy work.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've used a PAC-10 (line converter) and love them.

I've used the with a factory head unit many of times and had the bass turned all the way off. The subs had NO problem making some boom even with it all the way off. I've tried to adjust the bass up a bit too and to be honest, sounded better when it was all the way down. Makes the door speakers clean and no distort for sure!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I don't know how you will have any decent bass if you turn the source down. Then again, there are many things I don't know.

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the past I would change the deck as well, but I was trying to avoid that. With an aftermarket deck there is dedicated output for the subs. Not so much in a stock radio. Unless I am wrong.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
If you want to turn the bass down on door speakers, but still have decent bass response, use this LOC

LC2i - AudioControl

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in my '15 200 i have the 5.0 radio. i used the the high level inputs to an amp. it worked great because the amp has signal sensing so i didnt have to run a remote wire. Back in the day i would have never ran high level but with the newer technology i would any day especially on a name brand amp.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I Just added a sub to my stock stereo I used this amp, it has high level inputs which are what I used to hook it up. It also has a remote level adjust so you can change the amp gain from the drivers seat. I have the bass at 0 on the deck and still get plenty of boom from my sub, the amp also has bass boost if more was wanted.

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a speaker box in. Must have been for an older model cause the seat won't close with it. Gonna customize it to make it work. I am gonna go with a line converter. It should be okay esp with 2 12's.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I got a speaker box in. Must have been for an older model cause the seat won't close with it. Gonna customize it to make it work. I am gonna go with a line converter. It should be okay esp with 2 12's.

You prolly need to take the carpet out of the wells under the box and it will fit right

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't know how you will have any decent bass if you turn the source down. Then again, there are many things I don't know.

The reason you don't need the bass is the AMP is getting it's source from the PAC. The PAC is providing a 4volt single to the AMP. The reason you can turn the bass completely off and still have TON of bass coming from the subs is the AMP is processing the signal.

When I had mine, if I turned it to -10 - the sub was turned to +5.. if I turned the bass to 0 - was too much bass...

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I installed a line converter and was able to get my amp to power up but no audio is being sent to the amp. I installed it in the b pillar to the right rear door speaker. So much work to keep the stock radio...

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You may need resistors at your loc to make the truck think the speakers are still there. But that might only be an issue with the 8.4 radio. If you just tapped the wire and have signal to the speaker and loc then that shouldn't be the problem.

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may need resistors at your loc to make the truck think the speakers are still there. But that might only be an issue with the 8.4 radio. If you just tapped the wire and have signal to the speaker and loc then that shouldn't be the problem.

I have the base model radio

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And yea I tapped directly into the right rear speaker. It still works, and I tested the Eva's by rubbing them and got feedback through the subs, just need to get a feed from the speakers to the amp

OP
OP
C

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So just an update I was finally able to get it working. Had to adjust the settings all the way up on the LOC. Once I can figure out how to load pics I will post how I did it.