after market sound system questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sound system in my ram is horrible so I decided to have it looked at by a car audio place by me and they're recommending more than I was expecting. I'm willing to do it if its necessary but id like to get a few opinions. I have a 2013 black express with the 5.0 head unit and whatever else that comes with.
They are recommending:

4 6x9 alpine rally speakers
kenwood x801-5 amp
1 alpine swa-10s4 10' sub and box

They also want to replace the head unit but I don't really want a tacky looking aftermarket stereo on my dash. I love the appradio4 in my jeep which is a pretty nice looking stereo but it doesn't have Sirius. They also tell me the usb and aux port in my center console and the cd player under the seat wouldn't work anymore with an after market stereo. They would run new ports as lose wires in the console. I don't really want a subwoofer but according to them if I change the factory speakers I wont have any bass at all without adding a sub. The grand total is $1,700 if I retain the factory stereo or add the cost of the stereo +/-. The break down they gave me also includes a bunch of harness's and adapters and some kind of RAM interface. I'm playing mostly rock and metal out of this and not looking to rattle the windows.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd do the speakers and amp but leave the head unit alone.

That will be the biggest bang for the buck in improving SQ.

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that's the direction I'm going but what about the sub. Supposedly the factory door speakers act as subwoofers and when I replace them I wont have any bass. The last person I want to be is that guy next to you at a light shaking his car apart and making your head want to explode.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I think that's the direction I'm going but what about the sub. Supposedly the factory door speakers act as subwoofers and when I replace them I wont have any bass. The last person I want to be is that guy next to you at a light shaking his car apart and making your head want to explode.

In you setup, I dont think the sub is going to play so loud your are going to shake the car next to you.

The aftermarket door speakers will probably be crossed over at 100hz to keep the low frequencies out.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the factory Alpine system?

I would start by just replacing the door speakers. You can easily do this your self for under $300. Then if you want more go with an amplifier/subwoofer.

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure If the factory headunit was amplified enough for aftermarket speakers alone to make a difference. Ive done plenty of stereo and speaker upgrades in my old cars but amplifiers are a little over my head. Ill see what happens with just the speakers. Worse case I save some money at the shop.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For budget upgrade, I highly reccomend the JBL GX series speakers, and they are 2 ohm so you will get a little more juice out of the head unit, or any amplifier you end up with.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would definitely add the sub as I think the speakers they are proposing only go to 70HZ but I can't find any reference to them by what you typed.

And you'll need an amp to drive the speakers and sub. the Kenwood Excelon they are proposing is a good one. It offers a 4 channel x 50W/ch @ 4 ohms + 1 channel x 500W @ 1 ohm.

That amp has more than enough power to drive the sub.

Not sure what the Rally speakers are. I can't find any info on them. Can you get Alpine's model number on those?

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definitely add the sub as I think the speakers they are proposing only go to 70HZ but I can't find any reference to them by what you typed.

And you'll need an amp to drive the speakers and sub. the Kenwood Excelon they are proposing is a good one. It offers a 4 channel x 50W/ch @ 4 ohms + 1 channel x 500W @ 1 ohm.

That amp has more than enough power to drive the sub.

Not sure what the Rally speakers are. I can't find any info on them. Can you get Alpine's model number on those?

The speakers are ALP SPR69

This shop only deals in kenwood and alpine. Ive been a fan of pioneer in the past but they didn't even want to talk about that so I'm limited on what equipment theyre willing to sell me. They did say theyd install whatever head unit I brought them but they may not want to do the job if I supply too much of the equipment. I'm keeping the stock stereo

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
I didn't even replace the speakers, I just replaced the head unit and it was 10x better sound. the factory head unit sounds terrible. It has better punch, clearer sound with just a good head unit

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf