Aftermarket reverse cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I was super bummed to find my truck didn't come equipped with a backup cam. I've read through the DIY approach and a few other threads. I decided I better not go that route. The truck has the 5.0 radio and I'm looking at using this PAC unit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PWW32D8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ACSKNBF2C3HCL&psc=1

So a few questions:
-Anyone purchased this and have any feedback?
-Will I have active guidelines?
-What camera works best with it? I see the popular one on amazon but it states boldly not to use with the OEM screen.
Any insight is much appreciated!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will not have active grid lines and that kit doesn't even come with a camera ?
I believe that one is for the RA3 /RA4 8.4" Radio.

The factory OEM kit is only $220 ish and a simple install that works seemlessly with your RA2 5.0 Radio with active gridlines .

Me personally I'd install the OEM kit , I'd say the dificulty level is a 3.5 out of 10 imo .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can get the dealer to flash the sales code for cheaper than that. since you have the 5.0 you really dont need a piece like it.

in my old '13 i did an aftermarket cam to the factory 8.4 easy install just had to connect the cam signal to the video input on the screen and have the dealer flash it.

like said above there are no active grid lines this way.

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The factory OEM kit is only $220 ish and a simple install that works seemlessly with your RA2 5.0 Radio with active gridlines .
Gosh, I thought it was way more than that. I must've been looking at the wrong items.

Thank you both for your feedback. The OEM backup cam thread's so large, it's easy to get lost. Guess I need to start by checking if the wiring is already there on the truck side.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I bought one from crutchfield,I have the 5.0 radio.very easy install,has grid lines and you don't need code flash from dealer.There's a thread in here about it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gosh, I thought it was way more than that. I must've been looking at the wrong items.

Thank you both for your feedback. The OEM backup cam thread's so large, it's easy to get lost. Guess I need to start by checking if the wiring is already there on the truck side.
First check out the tailgate disconnect under the bed , if there's 8ea wires continuing into the tailgate side of the connector then you're at least partially pre wired , highly doubt full your prewired thogh.

I suggest purchasing the kit from your dealer and working in a free flash of sales code XAC in the process .

If you can't swing a $50 flash or free flash , then just purchase a NEW NEVER OPENED kit off ebay or something from a reputable seller , you can find the OEM kits for $175 or so .

Here's a link to a very informative post on the OEM back up camera. It's post #10 by M2Mods MPGRIMM2 .

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=974372

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First check out the tailgate disconnect under the bed , if there's 8ea wires continuing into the tailgate side of the connector then you're at least partially pre wired , highly doubt full your prewired thogh.

I suggest purchasing the kit from your dealer and working in a free flash of sales code XAC in the process .

If you can't swing a $50 flash or free flash , then just purchase a NEW NEVER OPENED kit off ebay or something from a reputable seller , you can find the OEM kits for $175 or so .

Here's a link to a very informative post on the OEM back up camera. It's post #10 by M2Mods MPGRIMM2 .

Installing OEM backup cam - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Hope this helps !

I may be wrong but the oem kits where you hook into the bcm you still need to be flashed from a dealer. they only way around the dealer flash is to use one of those aftermarket pieces

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may be wrong but the oem kits where you hook into the bcm you still need to be flashed from a dealer. they only way around the dealer flash is to use one of those aftermarket pieces
A dealer flash or an obd genie from infotainment.com to my knowledge are your options for the XAC code to be flashed in .
And YES you must have the sales code flashed in or the truck will not open the path for the backup cam to display .

I believe the OBD GENIE is about $200 ....so a dealer flash is Prefered due to cost alone .

As for the purple kit wire that hooks up to the BCM C5 connector @ socket # 45 , this wire is for the active gridlines only ( very nice feature imo) the back up cam kit works 100% without this purple wire even hooked up as it's single function is to provide a signal for the Active gridlines.

Hope this helps and good luck Sir !

If you run into any issues or questions during your install just post them up on the Back up cam thread as several of us are monitoring that thread (subscribed ) to help others out if needed .
IMHO the OEM backup cam kit is a 3-4 out of 10 on a dificulty scale

Last edited:
OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought one from crutchfield,I have the 5.0 radio.very easy install,has grid lines and you don't need code flash from dealer.There's a thread in here about it.

Prior to reaching out on this forum I had also looked into this kit and contacted Crutchfield to inquire about it. While it does have guidelines, they're not active (won't bend with steering wheel movement).

R.L.K. and Baum, you guys have convinced me. I'll plan on ordering the Genuine Mopar kit and tackling the install before winter hits.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

I picked up the OEM camera kit from my dealer, Had them install and flash the unit. I have the 5.0 radio total installed with tax
and kit about $525.00 BUT some have been charged 1k$ so if your dealer is high check around

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf