"On Air" popups on 5" radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just got my truck (2014 RAM 1500) and I've got a small annoyance I can't seem to figure out how to turn off. I've got the 5" Radio and no matter what source I'm listening to, including XM stations, a pop-up screen keeps coming up about once a minute that says "On Air" and lists an artist & song with a "Listen" button. It's very distracting as I keep catching the screen change out of the corner of my eye. I've checked the manual and don't see anything about it or a way to turn it off. A search through the settings on the radio didn't turn anything up either. Is there a way to get the radio to stop doing this?

-K

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe that's what the Radio does when you have songs or artists marked as "favorites"..... you have to go into the sat radio menu and get rid of the "favorites" to make it go away.

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I believe that's what the Radio does when you have songs or artists marked as "favorites"..... you have to go into the sat radio menu and get rid of the "favorites" to make it go away.

Well, I tried that, but the 5" radio doesn't appear to have a menu option for it. Not that I can find in the manual or on the radio at least. You don't happen to know exactly where the menu would be, do you?

-K

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I guess the dealer forget to reset the radio. It should be in the "settings" menu, look to see if you can find a factory reset or anything like that.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found this.... Just touch “Add Fav Artist” or “Add Fav Song” while the song is playing. You will then be alerted any time one of these songs, or works by these artists, is playing on other SiriusXM channels.

I have the 8.4 but I remember it's not a menu, you have to access it while listening to the Sat Radio..... find a station, hit the "Add Fav Song" then it should take you to a list that shows all the Fav Songs. Then just delete all of them from the list. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I remember it being a pain in the ass to find on my 8.4!!!

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, 2 calls to the U-connect support line and yet another web search and I found it!
The first U-Connect call the (rather unenthusiastic) young lady didn't have a clue what I was talking about and transferred me to Sirus/XM. They listened, agreed that they were not the right ones and transferred me back. The young man I got for the second call was much more professional, opening a case and researching the problem but the only thing he was able to come up with was to do a soft reset on the entire radio system. I didn't want to do that so I headed back to google and this time I found a thread on a Challenger forum where someone had the same issue and had found the setting. It's a little different than the 8". On the 5" you need to be listening to the XM, then hit Browse, then Favorites, then Favorite songs. From there you can delete one or all of them. (Previous owner and I definitely have different musical tastes!)
I cleared them all out and went for a ride and no distracting popups! I do find it disturbing that neither I nor the Chrysler U-Connect person was able to find this in the manual though.

-K

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you got it figured out!!!! On the 8.4" it also "dings" when a favorite is playing.... which drove me nuts for 2 weeks trying to figure out what the hell was dinging!!!!

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Glad you got it figured out!!!! On the 8.4" it also "dings" when a favorite is playing.... which drove me nuts for 2 weeks trying to figure out what the hell was dinging!!!!

From what I read there should be two alert settings in the 8.4 favorites settings, one to turn on/off Visual alerts and one for Audible alerts. You might be able to turn the ding off.

-K