All you audio gurus..tuning advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Okay i need a little advice for tuning my sub/amp and my 4 channel amp/speakers.

So some people say use a multimeter and test tones and some people say just do it by ear. I know an o-scope is best, but im not going to go buy one and im not sure if having a shop with one tune it is worth it.

How are you guys tuning your systems?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Check out an Android app called AudioTool by jjbun and you can use your smartphone as your tuner.

I usually go by ear but had some harsh frequencies that were literally giving me a headache. This app helped me dial things into a good place and I'm no audio pro....just know what sounds good.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best way is with a scope (DD-1) to keep the speakers and amps from clipping, this will make it sound smoother at all volumes. You can tune with a multimeter just to make sure power is at the right levels with some easy math but this will not show a clipped signal.

You can get a cheap scope off ebay/amazon for 30 bucks in a little DIY kit, and it works just fine for our purposes. If you are only going to use it this one time, make sure you have Prime, free returns <--- not that I condone such actions but if your tight on spending its great.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check out an Android app called AudioTool by jjbun and you can use your smartphone as your tuner.

I usually go by ear but had some harsh frequencies that were literally giving me a headache. This app helped me dial things into a good place and I'm no audio pro....just know what sounds good.

That app looks complicated hahaha

SMD makes a product that is fool proof, I own one.
SMD Distortion Detector DD-1

How to do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySG2BL5kAW4

I like that DD-1 not too expensive either.

The best way is with a scope (DD-1) to keep the speakers and amps from clipping, this will make it sound smoother at all volumes. You can tune with a multimeter just to make sure power is at the right levels with some easy math but this will not show a clipped signal.

You can get a cheap scope off ebay/amazon for 30 bucks in a little DIY kit, and it works just fine for our purposes. If you are only going to use it this one time, make sure you have Prime, free returns <--- not that I condone such actions but if your tight on spending its great.

Hahahahah i like your thinking. If i buy a DD1 i will probably just keep it, im sure ill do another system one day.

How are you guys adjusting your HPF and LPF? Im not sure my ears could differentiate without hearing a proper system first. I know the sub is supposed to be set at 80-120hz right? and then set the HPF on the 4 channel at where ever the LPF on the sub stops

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
The DD-1 will come with instructions on where to set your crossovers for the speaker size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ended up ordering the DD-1 and the CC-1 to tune my crossovers perfectly rather then guessing

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Ended up ordering the DD-1 and the CC-1 to tune my crossovers perfectly rather then guessing

I was going to suggest the CC-1 also, but didn't know how much you wanted to spend.

i do not have the CC-1 yet.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was going to suggest the CC-1 also, but didn't know how much you wanted to spend.

i do not have the CC-1 yet.

When i saw it i said **** it. 281 for both so whatever..hopefully they last for a long time.

Ill let you know how the cc-1 works

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
When i saw it i said **** it. 281 for both so whatever..hopefully they last for a long time.

Ill let you know how the cc-1 works

I have had my DD-1 for a couple years already, changed the 9v battery once.

I made a playlist on my iPhone for the cd tracks since my truck does not have a CD player in it. So I just use BT for it.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have had my DD-1 for a couple years already, changed the 9v battery once.

I made a playlist on my iPhone for the cd tracks since my truck does not have a CD player in it. So I just use BT for it.

well i finally got both the cc and dd yesterday, took awhile to ship here. Tuned the gains and the crossover. Worked great. The cc worked as advertised. Set the sub LPF to 100 subsonic to 31. Set the HPF on the 6x9s to 100 and if i remember correctly the 6.5 components to 125. I went off of what the instructions recommended.

I ended up buying 800hz frequency blockers for the 3.5 dash speakers and i am going to run them off of the headunit amp. Didnt get to that yet.

Sounds pretty good. My HU can get up to 39 out of 40 and have a clean signal so thats good

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
well i finally got both the cc and dd yesterday, took awhile to ship here. Tuned the gains and the crossover. Worked great. The cc worked as advertised. Set the sub LPF to 100 subsonic to 31. Set the HPF on the 6x9s to 100 and if i remember correctly the 6.5 components to 125. I went off of what the instructions recommended.

I ended up buying 800hz frequency blockers for the 3.5 dash speakers and i am going to run them off of the headunit amp. Didnt get to that yet.

Sounds pretty good. My HU can get up to 39 out of 40 and have a clean signal so thats good

Thats great to hear about the CC-1.

I did the DD-1 on my 8.4A and it seems 27 is the magic number for mine. But....I did I might have a loose adapter and might have to look into that.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I meant to ask for your dd-1 settings, did you use the SPL tracks or the SQ tracks?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I meant to ask for your dd-1 settings, did you use the SPL tracks or the SQ tracks?

What does SPL stand for..sorry audio noob still. but i used the tracks that were meant for better quality audio rather than being louder

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
What does SPL stand for..sorry audio noob still. but i used the tracks that were meant for better quality audio rather than being louder

Then you used the SQ (Sound Quality) tracks. These tracks are done in -5 db.

The SPL (Sound Pressure Level) loud tracks are done at -10db so you can use more amp gain.