To Alpine or not to Alpine . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thinking about trading in my 2014 Big Horn on a 2017. Found a truck on the local lot with everything I want:
Essentially, my truck right now (5.7; Quad Cab; Granite Metallic; Big Horn) with the options I have benn looking for to make me upgrade, namely 3.92 rear (mine is the 3.21) Dual Zone AC / Heat, Sun Roof (and bed lights, not big but nice)
The only difference / issue is the 2017 doesn't have the Alpine setup. I have the Alpine now and haven't been overly impressed with it (I like the sub placement, but wasn't overly impressed with the clarity.) I did eventually replace the door / dash speakers and it improved but the volume dropped a little (I believe due to the crossover issue, or the impedance thing)
I'm not an audiophile; I listen to just about everything (my iPhone has everything from Garth Brooks to Beethoven to Beatles to Disturbed) and I do crank up the volume a bit on the highway on a nice day. I will want a subwoofer, but not at the expense of too much space.
So, preferably those that have had both alpine and non-alpine units: Is it really something I should care about? I assume the non-alpine trucks have 4 speakers and thats it (compared to the Alpine 9) So if I wanted to, I could eventually get a kicker sub for under the rear seat and replace the door speakers and have a nice enough system? The truck does have the 8.4 UConnect.
Thanks in advance guys!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The base units have 6 speakers. If you plan on upgrading anyway I would save the money from the alpine and just do your own system. I replaced all 6 of my speakers with JBLs and the sound is amazing. I did have the kicker upgrade sub installed but the sound to me was not worth it. Have a custom box and 2 12s on the way. It's all in what you want to listen to but sounds like you might be better off doing your own upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I've seen many threads where people are not all that impressed with the alpine system. I have the base(6 speaker) and did the Mopar Kicker upgrade speakers and it is a nice upgrade. I wouldnt worry about it not having the alpine system personally.

wykdtr0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm of the opinion that going with the upgraded OEM speaker systems is a waste of time and money...it's just a bigger pain in the ass to replace them later, and since we're in this forum, most of us are probably going to end up replacing them later :)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had both. my '13 was the 8.4 an with no alpine and my '15 has the alpine. If you plan to ever upgrade (add amps) go without it as its easier to upgrade. If you dont plane to i would go with the alpine.

I spent 12+ year as a professional installer in high end shops building custom high end audio setups. I am the kind of person that usually rips out all the factory gear as soon as i get the vehicle home. with my '15 i left the alpine alone and actually enjoy it for a factory unit. Yes i played with the sound settings to get what i thought sounded best. By far this is one of the best factory units i have ever heard.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you see yourself wanting to change things up and add amps and speakers, Non-Alpine would be my choice but let me give you a different perspective....

I have the non-alpine, added amps, subs, speakers, processing, yada, yada and it sounds great! BUT! I have a friend who recently bought a truck identical to mine with exception that he has some more electronics and the Alpine system. While I enjoy the audio in my truck and he even raves about how mine sounds, his is pretty good. My advice to him was don't change a thing, it sounds good enough.

If I were to trade my truck in on a new truck, I'd probably get the Alpine and call it a day. I am however getting older and I would rather not use my time installing audio again as I have many other funs things to do......so take that with a grain of salt.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I agree with Trout on this one. Love me some car audio but times do change.
If I didn't have the Alpine, it would be super easy to add my equipment and have an awesome sounding 2-way + Sub, or 3-way + sub. However, if I fell in love with a Ram equipped with the Alpine system, I'd probably leave it alone....maybe add a healthier subwoofer set up to increase the fun-factor but that would be it.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks everyone. Definitely gave me a lot to consider / think about / other views. If I got the stock system, I'd probably swap the speakers (I don't have any intention of swapping the head unit, done them on every other truck I've owned but there is so much more tied into the system now I don't think its worth it for me to mess with it) and add an all in one amp / sub more than likely. I actually had a bazooka tube in my old ranger (single cab, no room) and was happy enough with it. Again, not an audiophile, but I do want to be able to crank up the volume and not get unbearable muddy.
I'll have to do a little more investigating on the ease of install for one of the under the rear seat subs / amps and make my decision.
Thanks again!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the non-Alpine it's very easy to pull an audio signal from it and run it to an amplifier. If you're looking for better than stock but not crazy I'd recommend going with a five or six channel amp that will run all four doors and a small sub.

Then you could start by upgrading the speakers and if it's not quite enough then add the amp and a sub.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's now easy to get clean signal from the Alpine. Get the truck you want for the best deal - whether it has Alpine or not what would not be the deal breaker for me. Audio is easy to change, gears, transmission, sunroof, etc are not.

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
2015 sport with the alpine and it sucks. I upgraded the dash spekers, sub and rear 6x9's and it made a differnece, but its just so weak. Adding amps and such is damn near impossible thanks to the alpine amp and the canbus system.

Go with the non alpine and you can upgrade so much more, so much more easily.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 sport with the alpine and it sucks. I upgraded the dash spekers, sub and rear 6x9's and it made a differnece, but its just so weak. Adding amps and such is damn near impossible thanks to the alpine amp and the canbus system.

Go with the non alpine and you can upgrade so much more, so much more easily.

There is a new device by PAC that is supposed to easily pull a signal from the Alpine. I don't think it is shipping yet but it sounded promising.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes to Alpine :) The 6.5 Type R components sound pretty good for the price.

11755694_10153537704378552_2907384308494435059_n.jpg

11710047_10153537704288552_6701809233765666057_o.jpg

11782350_10153537704158552_6970366162419915166_o.jpg

Steel Chicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 2010
Engine
Cummins, Hemi 5.7
Just bought a 2017 Big Horn with the Alpine system. Sounds amazing...significantly better than the very good sound system in my 2010 SLT RAM. Just my 2 cents. Wasn't something I was looking for or cared about when I bought the truck just found it to be amazing.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did in my last truck, it sounded amazing!

b67d2c115753ea19c4786e2cd604da4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk