Alpine System speaker upgrades: Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey gang...I did some extensive searching on the forum here but wanted some quick clarification. Hope you don't mind the questions...

For Reference: I have the 8.4AN w/ Alpine. This is where I get confused...many of the people upgrading speakers and on YouTube are doing it on the regular 6 speaker system.

Dash Speakers: Infinity Reference: 3.5" There are the 3002's and the 3022's...any difference? The price on Amazon is double for the 3002's. Amazon has the 3022's for $60 a pair. Is it worth ordering a 2nd set and upgrading the center speaker immediately? I've read mixed reviews on this.

Front Door Speakers: Skip for now as these are just a 2 way speaker.

Rear Door Speakers: Suggestions for 6x9's? From what I read these would be the ones to upgrade. If I wanted to stay with Infinity...anyone have a part number or suggestion?

I'll upgrade the sub to the plug and play shallow Pioneer at a later date. Just looking for input on the speaker upgrade. I don't plan on or want to be adding any extra amps or anything at this point. Just want to clean up the sound.

I know which Metra connectors I need and where to get them...for simple plug and play. I will be ordering those at the same time as the speakers.

Thanks for putting up with my questions even though there are other threads...just wanted some specific clarification.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it's in your mind that you may upgrade in the future from the current upgrade you're thinking about ( add amps, better speakers) then I would wait to do setup the way you want. I wasted a lot of time and money on equipment just because I wanted something now. If you're patient...hold off and figure out the kind of sound you want and go for it( if it's in the budget of course):happy107:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a link for the plug and play pioneer sub?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
unxpctd

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
http://www.ramforum.com/f51/alpine_8_4an_dash_speaker_oem_subwoofer_upgrade-_15_2500_cc-63195/

Previous post on the forums here:

From the original post in that thread:

Subwoofer: It was tough to find an 8" dual 2 ohm subwoofer with a shallow enough mounting depth for the factory under rear seat enclosure. The Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 fits perfect - even the holes line up. Make sure you use the gasket that comes with the woofer. Also, PROPERLY plug the hole in the bottom of the enclosure where the screw that went into the back of the factory woofer. (You'll see what I mean when you take it apart) It is 100% plug and play using a Metra 72-6514 adapter.

Just have to plug the hole on the bottom of the stock enclosure and get the Metra adapter.

I think I'm just going to get 2-3.5 Infinity's for now...for the dash and get 2-6x9 Infinity's for the rear doors and see how that sounds. Then I'll order the subwoofer.

These are the Infinity 6x9's I was looking at for the rear doors:

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF...3439492&sr=1-2&keywords=Infinity+6x9+speakers

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I did this exact upgrade,

yes the 3022's are fine, the other ones are discontinued, that is why they are priced so high

I went with the REF-9622IX for all 4 doors and the 8" shallow Pioneer
Please note you need to grab 1/4" 6x9 spacers for the front doors to gain the depth you need

I went with two pairs for the front , sold the extra on here as many are looking for a single for the middle

Really is night and day over factory and you will notice you can turn it up louder than stock with out distortion, the sub has very little impact, but is a little cleaner sounding in my opinion

I ended up adding an amp for the sub and that made a world of difference

Had a thread on this but all the pictures are gone

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swapping the alpine speakers for infiniti reference all round makes a huge difference, i recommend doing all the speakers at once- its worth it.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome info guys! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If you're going to replace the 6x9's in one set of doors, I would replace the front doors over the rears...The front doors play a bigger role in the grand scheme of things over the rears

crfq68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Has any one noticed a difference in max volume with the 3022 and other Reference series speakers..Stock's are 2 ohm Infinity's are 3-4 ohm,which should translate to half the amplifier power?
The Infinity Kappa series are all 2 ohm and very efficient..has any one used them? Crutchfield list them as modified fit.
Crutchfield also says there is a full range signal at front doors but all Ive heard is the front door is midrange only..any thoughts?

tmh3655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After learning a few lessons from my '13 Chrysler 300 w/ beats audio, this is what I ended up putting in my '17 1500 w/ alpine system: Dash: (2) Infinity REF3022cfx at outboard positions, a Pioneer TS-A878 that I had left over from upgrading my 300 in the center position, front doors: JBL GX962 6x9's, rear doors JBL Club 9630 6x9's, removed original subwoofer enclosure and installed a Ground Shaker dual 8" enclosure. On the passenger side, I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 tied directly to the original amp outputs. On the Driver's side, added an Audio Control LC2i tapped off the other subwoofer leads, and from there run into an older Alpine class D amp that can put out 350W RMS into 4 ohms, and that amp powers up an older JBL GTO804 8" woofer. Ran 6 guage wiring back to amp from battery. Got to say I am very pleased with the final results. Very "tight", balanced sound, plenty of oomph when the source material calls for it. Took about 4.5 hours total to install everything and get it dialed in. Didn't have to give up anything except the rear seat "flat floor" extensions which I will probably never use anyway. Put some rubber bumpers atop the sub enclosure to provide a little "breathing" room for the subs (so the seat cushions aren't right on top of subs). One of the easiest upgrades I have ever done.

blairwilder97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this exact upgrade,

yes the 3022's are fine, the other ones are discontinued, that is why they are priced so high

I went with the REF-9622IX for all 4 doors and the 8" shallow Pioneer
Please note you need to grab 1/4" 6x9 spacers for the front doors to gain the depth you need

I went with two pairs for the front , sold the extra on here as many are looking for a single for the middle

Really is night and day over factory and you will notice you can turn it up louder than stock with out distortion, the sub has very little impact, but is a little cleaner sounding in my opinion

I ended up adding an amp for the sub and that made a world of difference

Had a thread on this but all the pictures are gone

Was there a specific reason why you went with the REF-9622IX instead of the 9623IX?? I see the only difference is really either a 2 way speaker or 3 way speaker. And did you just plug and play or did you add an amp for more loudness?? Wanting to order speakers soon so trying to get the best input on doing something myself for my truck. I also have the alpine system in my truck so basically whatever you’ve done is the same thing I’ll have to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I did 3022s in dash and used a jbl 2.3 ohm in my center(alpine system), highs are great, crystal clear. Sound deadened, the front doors sound very good bass wise. Side not: Crutchfields is only place I found that has the plug and play harness for dash speakers. Front doors only play mid bass, no highs, so I would not focus on them, chances are they could sound worse. Back doors are full range. All I did was dash, back doors and put a bazooka 8 inch dvc 2 ohm in place of stock sub, fit perfect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock