Amp Install & LOC question for 6 speaker system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Is there any value in adding a PAC or AudioControl LOC when adding an amp to my 8.4 non-Alpine 6 speaker system (upgraded with Kicker Speakers), or is using speaker level inputs essentially the same?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you putting your amp on?

Personally on a good quality amp i would use the speaker inputs. And I have.

If you are adding an amp to the 6 speakers you will have to put resistors inline to "fool" the radio into thinking the speakers are hooked up to the radio. The resistance value has been talked about on here in many posts so just search for that

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Speaker level inputs gone a layer of noise cancellation that rca's do not. Im running all 4 channels to the back wall then input into amp. You may not end up with noise, but if your amp has line level in, why not use them.

OP
OP
B

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What are you putting your amp on?

Personally on a good quality amp i would use the speaker inputs. And I have.

If you are adding an amp to the 6 speakers you will have to put resistors inline to "fool" the radio into thinking the speakers are hooked up to the radio. The resistance value has been talked about on here in many posts so just search for that

My plan is to amp the 6 speakers I have. If the radio needs to see a resistance, would a LOC provide the required resistance?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My plan is to amp the 6 speakers I have. If the radio needs to see a resistance, would a LOC provide the required resistance?

I believe there are a couple out there now days that do. however its as easy as wiring in a resistor to each channel of the input to the amp.

also keep in mints its really only 4 channels the dash speakers are tied into the doors

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Mine did not need the resistors, but I had read that others did....don't know why.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went into a DSP and did not need resistors though I am sure the DSP provided the resistance. One thing that I found interesting though on a dealer visit. I had a bad oil pressure sensor and the service writer while checking in checked my codes using his OBD2 scanner. Sure enough, the sensor was at fault but it also showed that my LF, RF, LR & RR speaker wires were disconnected. So the OBD2 saw a different resistance than expected but my outputs still worked.