Amp Mounting Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I grabbed an Alpine PDX-V9 amp and plan to put it under the driver's seat on top of a piece of MDF to address any heat issues. Mounting the amp to the board is a no-brainer, but how best to secure the board to the truck floor?

I have carpet, 1/4 dynaliner and dynamat underneath. I don't want to cut the carpet if possible, and I don't envision having to remove the board in the future. Any specialty screws? Am I overthinking this task?

Thanks!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im being 100% serious, but the hook side of velcro. trust me on carpet its not going anywhere. Find something Velcro in your house and stick it to the carpet and tell me what happens.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Im being 100% serious, but the hook side of velcro. trust me on carpet its not going anywhere. Find something Velcro in your house and stick it to the carpet and tell me what happens.

You have a point, there. Something to definitely consider, otherwise drill through the floor with sheetmetal screws... that sounds dramatic.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The velcro works great if it's directly to the carpet. I have used bolts through the floorboards on many builds with silicone on the underside to seal it up, but it's a drastic option I reserve for when I'm using big amps.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a good idea

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
NIce. OK, gonna mount it to a slab of 1/2 MDF and put a ton of loop-side velcro on the rug. Thanks all!

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Done. Added 4 strips rated at 15 lbs each. Slapped some Gorilla glue on the back of each one.

Attachments

• IMG_4905.jpg
    IMG_4905.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Damn, no joy on the velcro. It sticks well to the carpet (insulation) under the rear seat, but does nothing with the larger carpet. :puke:

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crap, this thread just reminded me that I probably need to silicone my drill holes since I just installed my new amp against the back wall.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Crap, this thread just reminded me that I probably need to silicone my drill holes since I just installed my new amp against the back wall.

yeah, I have to pull the 1/2 bolt out of the floor for that Stealth box I just mounted and do the same thing. I think I should put something down first to control rust, then do the silicone.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always used silicone adhesives on the underside of the wood; never had a failure. I would not run a screw through sheet metal. What we did on my buddies RAM: the carpet has a foam pad (about the thickness of a sheet of 3/4" MDF) so we traced where the board would sit in the cab on the underside of the carpet (on the white foam) from there we used a steak knife to cut the perimeter on the stenciled line; then we dug all the foam in that area out/off (not hard).........now your left with a recess to fit over the MDF you glue to the floor. Once the carpet is down you use your drywall screws through the carpet into the MDF (but not the metal)...........hope that makes sense

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/middle_install_need_remote_wire_turn_location_asap-95874/

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah, I have to pull the 1/2 bolt out of the floor for that Stealth box I just mounted and do the same thing. I think I should put something down first to control rust, then do the silicone.

Crap, you just reminded me that I gotta seal up the hole from my old stealthbox too lol

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I've always used silicone adhesives on the underside of the wood; never had a failure. I would not run a screw through sheet metal. What we did on my buddies RAM: the carpet has a foam pad (about the thickness of a sheet of 3/4" MDF) so we traced where the board would sit in the cab on the underside of the carpet (on the white foam) from there we used a steak knife to cut the perimeter on the stenciled line; then we dug all the foam in that area out/off (not hard).........now your left with a recess to fit over the MDF you glue to the floor. Once the carpet is down you use your drywall screws through the carpet into the MDF (but not the metal)...........hope that makes sense

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/middle_install_need_remote_wire_turn_location_asap-95874/

It does and I like the idea, but I pulled that very foam pad when I put in my 1/2 dynaliner. It's too late. I dropped that hole in the sheet metal, but I will do the necessary and plug it properly.

0v3rl0rd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
First off this is my first post on this forum. I own a 2014 ram 1500 SLT and I'm posting here causing its kinda relavant. I'm taking your idea for the amp and using velcro under the seat to secure it but I'm having difficulty finding a duel subbox (10" subs) for underneath my seats that isnt extremely expensive and doesn't require me to remove anything. I've also been out of the sub game for a while so any recommendations on good subs would be appreciated. Finally if there is a better location to find this information please let me know and I will remove my post. TIA

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off this is my first post on this forum. I own a 2014 ram 1500 SLT and I'm posting here causing its kinda relavant. I'm taking your idea for the amp and using velcro under the seat to secure it but I'm having difficulty finding a duel subbox (10" subs) for underneath my seats that isnt extremely expensive and doesn't require me to remove anything. I've also been out of the sub game for a while so any recommendations on good subs would be appreciated. Finally if there is a better location to find this information please let me know and I will remove my post. TIA

Foxbox from fox acoustic is the cheapest quality box that I've seen. You can get half the price but it's garbage from what I hear. I just got a foxbox, it is very good quality. Slow to get and no response for an update on shipping status but the quality is nice. The foxbox will require you install spacers under your seats, which it comes with. You will need to remove your fold flat floors, but I'm pretty sure you would have to for any box.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could you figure out a way to mount the MDF to the seat posts? Just thinking as I really have no idea.