amp question for 2 sets of components?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boywithatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking at 2 sets of jl c5 components one for front and one set for back. specs for the speakers off the sight are continuous rms 75w max 225w and recomended amplifier rms 25w - 150w / channel. system impedance 4 ohms

would it be better for me to run one realy big realy expensive 4 channel amp rated at 150w x 4 @1.5-4 ohms to run all that or would it be more benifitial to run two smaller 2 channel amps one for each set at 180w x 2.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd go with one nice 4 channel amp (I have a couple of stupidly expensive ones). Then when you add a sub you'll only have to find space for two amps total.

What amps can get into a lot of options and opinions. I'm into stereos and like brands like Sinfoni, Audison, Tru Technology and Zapco LX (and if your really crazy, Brax). That being said, there are good amps from JL, Genesis, Alpine, Phoenix Gold, Helix, etc. available at more reasonable prices.

A perfectly good, high power, four channel will run between $400-$800. You can easily get into the $1,500-$2,000 range once you start looking at the high end. Be extremely careful with amps costing less than that and claiming large power numbers.

If you're having it installed, see what your shop recommends. If it's a good shop, buying something they stock and support can make the decision a little easier.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MAKE sure you are paying attention to the RMS power of the amps also. Most amps when they say "250x4" that is max power. An amp if properly tuned will never see max power. In a perfect world you match the RMS of the speakers with RMS of the amp.

If you are looking at amps that cost less then 3-400 dont even bother with those speakers.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
IF I were to install components front & rear, I would personally choose two separate amps simply for more control. Assuming this is a passive system, you can control fade/output via the source unit, but having a separate amp for rear duty could benefit in fine tuning since the front components will have a different job than the rear components. However, I'd never install components in the rear...If I was concerned about rear fill, I'd run a simple set of coax speakers and call it good. You really should not hear the rear speakers anyways if tuned correctly. I'm sure your stereo shop is loving the idea of you buying two sets of identical components, but in all reality.....its a total waste of money....in my humble but honest opinion.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IF I were to install components front & rear, I would personally choose two separate amps simply for more control. Assuming this is a passive system, you can control fade/output via the source unit, but having a separate amp for rear duty could benefit in fine tuning since the front components will have a different job than the rear components. However, I'd never install components in the rear...If I was concerned about rear fill, I'd run a simple set of coax speakers and call it good. You really should not hear the rear speakers anyways if tuned correctly. I'm sure your stereo shop is loving the idea of you buying two sets of identical components, but in all reality.....its a total waste of money....in my humble but honest opinion.

I will agree with you on the two sets of components, but why the seperate amps? if you have a good 4-channel it can do the exact same as 2 seperate 2 channels.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with autokraftgt on the rear components, skip them in favor of coaxials in the rear and save a couple bucks and tuning issues.

As for the amp to power 4 channels or 2, I think that is really personal choice. Brand and series compared to brand and series of a 2 or 4 channel amp, you're not going to get any quality or control difference. You will get some flexibility should an amp fail or if you want to mount amps into different locations using 2 amps. A 4 channel could have a smaller footprint than 2 amps combined as well as could be cheaper in the end.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you running a processor or EQ? What is your current setup?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I will agree with you on the two sets of components, but why the seperate amps? if you have a good 4-channel it can do the exact same as 2 seperate 2 channels.

Can I re-phrase and say I wouldn't even amp the rears?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's like a mini DIYMA get together in here (missing DavidRAM). :)

OP, can you give us a better idea of your final goals for your system?

Last edited:

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
boywitatruck........you can get some very useful insite on car audio stuff on the forum. Just keep in mind until we know what you're trying to accomplish and what type of equipment you're using the guys can't point you in the right direction. It's like using a Boss amp on Focal speakers.....not one real audio guy I know would recommend that combination.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 13

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Edit: Buy a really nice 4-channel amp for the front components and run an active system. Run the factory 6x9's in the rear doors or some really affordable coax speakers off source power and call it good. Your front stage is the star of the show so put all money towards that combo and as little as possible to the rears. I never ran rear speakers and my rear passengers/ kids never knew the difference or missed the rear speakers

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ x2 on that!

Or if you want to run a passive x-over you can always bridge channels 3,4 to a sub. That is how i did my setups since early 2000's in many different types of cars/truck/suv.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something like this JL HD900/5 would be a solid one amp solution if you didn't need crazy loud subs.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-D3A86NejePt/p_136HD9005/JL-Audio-HD-Series-HD900-5.html

I was going to recommend a 5 channel as well. Depending on the sub woofer you run a nice 5 channel will fit the bill and only need 1 set of power wires and such. Those components will run great on a JL 5 channel or a Rockford Fosgate 5 channel and a high efficiency sub woofer. I like both Fosgate and JL amp. Neither have ever let me down.

There are many different ideas on better than the other guy. It depends on what you want out of it.

I will also agree on running actives but that takes either an amazing amp or a processor. This will give you better sound, but the 6.5 components will do the same.