Android auto/Apple CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TelecomPro

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know when the new radios with android auto will be available?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket? They have been out for a little over a year now. The 2nd gen radios are out.

OP
OP
T

TelecomPro

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering if the new Rams are shipping with android auto enabled on the oem 8.4 radios.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i thought in '16 they had a version of apple carplay

OP
OP
T

TelecomPro

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still no Android Auto or Apple Play. Press release said mid year?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jlis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No Apply Car Play but they just released Siri Eyes Free for apple phones. Voice text doesn't work properly.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I believe it will be released with the 2017 model years with 4th generation UConnect.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
I talked with a Rep from Ram today at the State Fair here in New Mexico, he told me that Ram is planing on releasing an update for the uconnect system that would add android auto and apple CarPlay.. I hope it's true.. He said that the update will be sometime in late 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I talked with a Rep from Ram today at the State Fair here in New Mexico, he told me that Ram is planing on releasing an update for the uconnect system that would add android auto and apple CarPlay.. I hope it's true.. He said that the update will be sometime in late 2017.

Hopefully they will release it for 13-14+ MYs and not just the 15-16 MYs. I don't think I'll hold my breathe on that one.... hahaha

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In reality, CarPlay is not that much of an upgrade from UConnect. And this is from an Apple fanboy.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In reality, CarPlay is not that much of an upgrade from UConnect. And this is from an Apple fanboy.

I disagree here. Easier interface, better navigation, easier to text & drive, more music applications, etc.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

...and I'll agree so long as they don't make the update backwards compatible and it's only available on new RAMs.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I disagree here. Easier interface, better navigation, easier to text & drive, more music applications, etc.

"Text and drive" ?!?!?

My point was that neither was anywhere near as good as simply using your actual iPhone or Android phone as your navigation/entertainment/communication device. I see these interfaces as dead-end technology. Another thing soon to be swallowed by then smart phone.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
"Text and drive" ?!?!?

My point was that neither was anywhere near as good as simply using your actual iPhone or Android phone as your navigation/entertainment/communication device. I see these interfaces as dead-end technology. Another thing soon to be swallowed by then smart phone.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Text and drive" ?!?!?

CarPlay allows to speak and respond to texts much easier. As of now my texts pop up on the uConnect, then I need to go to Siri and have her send the text for me. CarPlay would save about two steps there.

It sounds like you have never used CarPlay. It runs directly off your iPhone, and uses the navigation from your phone, it is exactly the same as Apple Maps, essentially a mirror image you can control on your screen. Same thing for the media, it is basically having a limited version of your phone on your screen. But as far as navigation and media goes, it is literally the same exact thing as using your iPhone, just on your factory screen. This is the future of the market and it depends on your phone.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
lol, I'm using Carplay currently. Ive used it pretty extensively in many rental cars...

My point is exactly what you stated. Why would we need these things when they are already available with out smart phones? Just to use the factory screen? I see this technology eventually going the other direction, back into the phone, with the ability to control and interface vehicle systems from your phone and the real estate in the dash being used for some other purpose... I can eventually see your smart phone being much more seamless with the car, being the key, the entertainment/nav/com system, being your interface for vehicle systems (environmental, diagnostic, and other electronic controls)...

If you think about it, the smart phone has become more ingrained with our lives, the tape deck and cd players are already gone. why wouldn't the rest of the non-critical systems follow suit?

Not saying carplay, etc will go away, but will go away from the hardware in the vehicle.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well free/accurate maps makes me excited.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully they will release it for 13-14+ MYs and not just the 15-16 MYs. I don't think I'll hold my breathe on that one.... hahaha

Agree with that one myself. The '13 system is fully capable of running both of them but I doubt we will see it.