Another Speaker Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchadhaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay guys here is what I've been toying with:

The actual Mopar Kicker upgrade for front speakers
http://www.amazon.com/2011-2012-DOD...8&qid=1341936108&sr=1-3&keywords=mopar+kicker

Kicker regular 6x9's
Kicker KS69 KS 6x9 2-Way Car Stereo Speakers 540 Watts/Pair 11KS69 713034055204 | eBay

Kicker 3.5"
Kicker KS35 3.5" 2-Way KS Series Coaxial Car Stereo Audio Speakers 11KS35 | eBay

So the total would be: 222.98 + shipping.

Why should I pick the KS over the DS series speakers?

I have heard/read on here that the polk audio speakers are better, clearer sound. I listen to rock/rap music and like a good bass but over bass I would prefer clarity and crisper sound.

I have been a kenwood HU fan in the past but most people on here say kenwood speakers suck?

I also contemplated on Polk 3.5's
(-NEW-) Polk Audio DB351 db Series 3.5" Coaxial Speakers Coax DB 351 | eBay

Memphis 6x9's

PR692V2 MEMPHIS 6x9" NEW 2-WAY POWER COAXIAL SPEAKERS | eBay

119.99 x2

Total: 292.85

I have the base speaker system. Which setup will sound better? Or is the difference so little that I should just save my money?

Do I need an amp? if I buy the factory kicker amp how does it mount under the dash?

What if I just bought the factory kicker amp and then the KS 3.5" and upgraded the door speakers at a later date? would that work?

Thanks in advance everyone.

OP
OP
rchadhaney

rchadhaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i might be wrong but i think the factory kicker amp is just an upgrade if you have the alpine system.

personally i will not buy a speaker over another because somebody says it is better. That is a complete opinion. What i think sounds good somebody else might think sounds bad.

is there a best buy near you with a speaker wall that you can listen to different speakers?

OP
OP
rchadhaney

rchadhaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i might be wrong but i think the factory kicker amp is just an upgrade if you have the alpine system.

personally i will not buy a speaker over another because somebody says it is better. That is a complete opinion. What i think sounds good somebody else might think sounds bad.

is there a best buy near you with a speaker wall that you can listen to different speakers?

Yeah, there is I guess I just need to go listen to some, What I need is someone local that has the kicker upgrade in their Dodge so I can listen to it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yup that would be ideal.

I can tell you there are members here that did the mopar kicker upgrade and said it was way better than stock speakers. Personally i am pretty impressed with the non alpine stereo in my truck. I've had people ask me if i put a sub in my truck(i have not)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
the main difference between the DS and KS is amplification. The KS handle more power than the DS, but the DS sound wonderful off the HU. Now if you plan to add 150-200 watts to each door, get the KS.
But, if you have a 4 door, the drop in OEM Kicker Mopar speakers are a direct fit. There are some depth issues on installing a KS in a 4 door truck, none in a two door though.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You definitely need to listen to some speakers and pick what sounds good to you.

Listen to the Alpines, see if anyone has some Hertz HSK components or some Infinity Reference series speakers. The Infinity units are a great bang for the buck and sound pretty good. But seriously, only you can pick the speakers. Fitment in the front doors is an issue as you know.

And as far as amps, just get a good J/L or Kenwood amp and enjoy it. The MOPAR accessory amps suck.

Consider getting a good LOC with summing (AudioControl LC6i works good!) and don't forget you will need an adapter harness if you go with an aftermarket amp.